Pull up bars aren’t as simple as you might think. You can pick one up and start working out, but if you haven’t done your research, you may wind up with a bar that’s not going to work for you.
These bars come in two varieties: doorway pull up bars, and wall mounted pull up bars.
Consider how you intend to work out before you decide which one you need.
Best Doorway Pull Up Bars
|ProSource Multi-Grip Pull-Up Bar|
|Stamina Doorway Trainer Plus|
|Pure Fitness Multi-Purpose Workout Bar|
|Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar|
|Perfect Fitness Multi-Gym|
- Doorway Pull Up Bars VS. Wall Mounted Pull Up Bars
- TOP 5 Best Doorway Pull Up Bars and Reviews
- TOP 5 Best Wall Mounted Pull Up Bars and Reviews
Doorway Pull Up Bars VS. Wall Mounted Pull Up Bars
Doorway pull up bars don’t require any major installation. Just stick them in your doorway when you want to use them, and take them down when you’re done.
These are great for people who don’t have a place to mount a pull up bar, since they can be stored away when they’re not in use.
The biggest downside to doorway pull up bars is that you can’t use them if your door frame is an irregular size.
You’re also running the risk of damaging your door frame with rigorous use.
Wall mounted pull put bars are an entirely different beast. They’re a little sturdier than doorway pull up bars, and they’re great for people who want a functioning home gym.
The drawback for wall mounted pull up bars is that they occupy a lot more space. They’re difficult to install, so it isn’t feasible to move them around.
Once they’re up, they’re up. You need to make sure you can put them in one spot and keep them there.
TOP 5 Best Doorway Pull Up Bars and Reviews
If you’ve decided to go with a doorway pull up bar, you may think they all look the same. Think again. There are tons of different designs, weight capacities, and grip configurations.
You’ll need to find the one that will work for you.
ProSource Multi-Grip Pull-Up Bar for Home Gym
This pull up bar offers you more versatility than any other doorway pull up bar on the market. Constructed out of durable steel and equipped with an astounding 12 grip positions, there’s nothing you can’t do with this doorway trainer.
- 12 grip positions offer ultimate versatility. You can do any exercise from any position with these grips, which provide you with a sturdy hold.
- Maximum weight capacity is 300 pounds, which is 50 pounds higher than most pull up bars.
- Comes with a lifetime limited warranty, so you’ll never have to worry about it breaking.
- Larger size may make it difficult to use the bar on doors that are adjacent to walls.
Stamina Doorway Trainer Plus
This is a versatile doorway trainer that can be used for more than just chin ups and pull ups. The unique design also allows it to be used to assist with sit ups and push ups, simply by installing in at the bottom of the door frame rather than the top.
Most doorway trainers can be used for this purpose, but it’s the design of the grips that makes this one a stand-out choice. It comes with two unique grip handles that are U-shaped, designed to hold the hand.
- This is a multifunctional trainer, so you can use it for more workouts. You’re getting the most for your money by choosing a door trainer that can be used for a wider range of exercises.
- Five grip positions allow you to change out your workout. The U-shaped handles make pull ups easier for beginners.
- Only holds a maximum of 250 pounds, making it on the lower side of the weight limit spectrum for doorway pull up bars.
Pure Fitness Multi-Purpose Workout Bar
This is a budget friendly pull up bar that doesn’t sacrifice on quality or durability. It’s simple, but it will get the job done. It’s stocked with 6 foam padded grips that allow for up to 8 grip positions.
It also comes with rubberized non-slip grips on the feet, so when you’re using it for floor exercises, you won’t have to worry about it sliding around.
- Great quality for an inexpensive price.
- Anti-skid feet make the bar easy to use for things like push-ups.
- 250 pound maximum weight limit is a little on the low side. Heavier users may not be able to use this as a pull up bar.
Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar
Iron Gym’s pull up bar uses a very standard design, so it’s not about all the bells and whistles. This is a bar that’s designed to last a long time, made from heavy duty steel.
It comes with five foam padded grips and allows for three grip positions: neutral, wide, and narrow.
- 300 pound weight limit means that anyone can use this pull up bar. Most pull up bars are only rated for 250 pounds of user weight.
- Durable construction means this bar will last forever.
- Only offers grip positions.
Perfect Fitness Multi-Gym
While this doorway pull up bar may look a lot like a typical pull up bar, it’s the extra feature that makes it so unique. It offers the standard grips and positions that most pull up bars offer, but it has one thing that they don’t.
The extra long bar comes with two fitted pieces that rest against your door frame, providing extra stability and protecting the wood from any damage.
- You won’t have to worry about damaging your door frame. This is perfect for people living in apartments, renting their homes, or people who have decorative door frames.
- This bar adjusts in both height and width, so it will fit just about any door frame.
- 220 pound weight limit is very low compared to most other doorway pull up bars.
TOP 5 Best Wall Mounted Pull Up Bars and Reviews
If you think a wall mounted pull up bar will be best for you, you have a few things to research. They come in different lengths, weights, and clearances.
If you know what kind of workouts you want to do, you’ll need to find a wall mounted pull up bar that will work with your plan.
Ultimate Body Press Wall Mount XL Pull Up Bar
This truly is the ultimate wall mount pull up bar. It’s 48 inches wide, and it offers 30 inches of wall clearance.
This is an unbelievable amount of space, and it’s exactly what you’ll need to do Crossfit workouts. The bar is hammer finished to improve your grip, and the clearance is large enough to climb the wall while holding the bar.
- 350 pound weight limit is incredible. Just about anyone can use this solid steel pull up bar without testing its durability. It’s designed to take abuse.
- The finish is powder coated, making the bar weatherproof. If your home gym is in a damp garage or a back porch, the bar will never be damaged by the weather.
- Since this bar is so large and heavy duty, installation is a little more difficult.
CFF Wall Mounted Pull Up Bar
This is another great wall mounted pull up bar for Crossfit workouts.
You’re getting 30 inches of wall clearance and a 46 inch wide bar. The brackets are designed in a very versatile way.
You can mount this to a wall, or to a ceiling. The installation supports both studs and joists, which is great news for people who don’t have much space on their walls.
- Optional ceiling installation is helpful in small home gyms. You won’t struggle to find a place to set this up.
- High capacity makes this wall mounted pull up bar very user friendly.
- Larger bars are a little more difficult to install. You’ll have to use a stud finder if you’re installing it on drywall.
Titan Wall Mounted Pull Up/Chin Up Bar
This is one of the most inexpensive CrossFit style pull up bars you can find. It can be set up on a wall or on a ceiling.
The width is adjustable, and can go as wide as 48 inches. You’re getting 30 inches of wall clearance, and a weight capacity of an astounding 500 pounds. It’s hard to beat the specifications of this wall mounted pull up bar – especially for the price.
- Affordable alternative to other CrossFit pull up bars, which can sometimes cost twice as much.
- With such a high weight capacity, there’s never any reason to be concerned that you might bend the bar.
- Doesn’t come with mounting hardware. You’ll need to purchase it separately.
Ultimate Body Press Wall Mounted Pull Up Bar
This is a great wall mounted pull up bar for people who want to use it for traditional exercises. It’s not like CrossFit pull up bars, but it will allow you to do a large range of upper body exercises.
It doesn’t take up a lot of space, and offers a modest 14 inch bar to wall clearance.
- Foam grips are comfortable to hold and prevent slipping.
- Compact size works great in small home gyms. This can even be installed in a closet due to its small size.
- Can’t be used for all CrossFit style workouts – especially those that require a large wall clearance.
Yes4All Wall Mount Chin Up Bar
This is a very inexpensive wall mounted pull up bar, but it’s an excellent value for the price. It’s designed like a doorway pull up bar, and will allow you to do exactly the same upper body exercises that you would on one of those models.
It’s got 6 foam padded grips to offer you a few options, and it’s made of solid steel.
- This bar is very inexpensive. It’s well within everyone’s budget. If you don’t have a lot to spend on your home gym, you’ll love how cost effective this bar is.
- It’s just the right size for a small home gym. It won’t occupy too much space, so your workout area won’t feel crowded.
- Since it’s a budget bar, it doesn’t come with the best hardware. You may want to replace the included hardware with higher quality pieces.