Music just makes things better.
Listening to the right music while you power through your WOD or Metcon can make it a much more enjoyable experience.
But listening to that music on crappy headphones can really ruin your focus and the flow of your routine.
That’s why today I am going to review 11 of the best headphones for CrossFit so you can find a pair that is sweat proof, won’t cut out, fall apart, sound crappy or lose battery life before you finish your set.
Ready to look at some of the best workout headphones?
Before we jump into the reviews, I want to quickly describe what features make headphones ideal for CrossFit.
What do Headphones Need to be Gym Worthy?
Waterproof Sweat Resistant and IPX Ratings
Any headphones you use in the gym must be sweat proof.
Some claim to be water resistant, but you might find after wearing them to workout a few times that your perspiration seeps in and ruins them.
What can you do to prevent this annoying problem?
The best workout headphones have IPX ratings. IPX ratings are standardized ratings with specific definitions for each rating.
While I am not going to put you to sleep describing each rating, just know that the higher the rating, the more water, sweat and dust proof they are.
- IPX4 is good, sweat and rain will not affect them.
- IPX 7 is great; you can even shower with IPX7 rated headphones on.
Bluetooth and/or NCF connection
Using wireless headphones is practically a must at the gym.
Getting tangled in wires and cables is a distraction and your movements can pull the headphones out causing you to lose focus, which can be dangerous if it happens during a heavy lift.
In addition to that:
All the tugging and movement is bound to break the wires eventually. Plus, if your headphones are attached to your phone and they fall off, you risk damage to the phone jack or worse, your phone may fall on the ground.
Noise Cancelling Sound Isolation or not? Which makes the best headphones for CrossFit?
Noise cancellation is a blessing and a curse, depending on circumstances.
On one hand:
Headphones that block out the outside world can be great because they allow you to focus and concentrate on your moves.
They also prevent you from having to listen to the less than stellar music the gym manager has decided to impose on everyone, or the disturbing grunting of “that guy over there” who feels the need to let the whole gym know he is lifting heavy.
On the other hand:
Headphones that completely block noise may leave you pulling them out to hear what your workout partner said.
If you workout outside, or decide to go for a run, noise cancelling headphones are a no-go, because you can’t hear traffic, dogs, or other important noises in the environment.
You decide what works best for you.
In my reviews below I let you know what headphones block all, some or no noise so you can make the best choice for your needs.
I promised I would keep it short, so now let’s get on with those reviews.
TOP 11 Best CrossFit Headphones Reviews 2019
Bose SoundSport Wireless Headphones
Review: These Bose soundsport wireless headphones have great sound quality and an ear fit most people love, but they are not strong at noise cancellation, which is good or bad, depending on what you want.
These ear buds come with a free app to connect your music to your headphones, plus with the built in mic you can make and receive phone calls.
Battery Life: 6 Hours.
Water and Sweat Resistance: Highly water and sweat resistant, IPX4 rated.
- Bluetooth and NFC pairing.
- Excellent sound quality.
- “Stayhear” Sport tips on these buds make them comfortable and secure- these will not fall out.
- Round neck cable causes friction.
If audio quality is important to you, these are good headphones for CrossFit.
Mpow Flame Bluetooth Waterproof Headphones IPX7
Review: These Mpow Flame Headphones not only come at an excellent price, they are useful at the gym or on the go. The built in mic allows you to take and make calls.
They are not completely noise cancelling, so you can still hear people, cars and other important sounds around you. There are convenient in ear buttons to skip songs, answer the phone and pause the music.
Battery Life: 7 hour battery life.
Water and Sweat Resistance: IPX7 Rated can be submerged in shallow water, very sweat resistant – you can even shower with them in.
- Great price.
- Audio stays connected, does not cut out-plus headphones pair quickly.
- Excellent water resistant rating- no need to worry about sweat at the gym or box.
- Not the best for people with small ears.
High quality earbuds at a budget price.
Jaybird X3 In-Ear Wireless Bluetooth Sports Headphones
Review: Many athletes swear by the Jaybird X3 as their go to workout earbuds. This model is smaller than the “freedom” model and the remote on the cable is a lot slimmer so it won’t pull the headphones out.
You can easily make and take calls. The earbuds are highly customizable with a separate bag of Silicone tips, ear wings and foam tips to give you the best fit.
Battery Life: 8 hr
Water and Sweat Resistance: Sweat proof, with a hydrophobic nano coating.
- Very good sound quality, deep base, bright and clear mids.
- Includes 6 different sized of Ear Wings, foam tips and silicone tips- Highly customizable to give you the most secure fit.
- Flat cord lays better than a round cord found on less expensive wireless headphones.
- Sweat proof coating tends to peel after prolonged use.
For fit and quality, these are some of the best CrossFit headphones you can get.
Anker ZOLO Liberty+ True Wireless Earphones
Review: These ZOLO Liberty + headphones offer noise cancelation, but have a unique feature that turns on the mic so you can hear the outside world with the push of a button.
These are TOTALLY wireless, which means no annoying behind the head cord, and they have slide and twist secure fit tips so they stay in while you are pounding out your daily WOD.
Battery Life: 3.5 hrs from 1 charge, with a boost given from the included charging case.
Water and Sweat Resistance: IPX 5 rated, splash and sweat resistant.
- Ability to EQ balance the headphones from the Smartphone app.
- Completely wireless.
- Includes easy to use charging case which boosts charge time to 48 hrs.
- Toggle audio isolation on and off.
- The seal on the earphones is not great, some users would prefer memory foam style tips, but these do not include that style.
One of the best wireless headphones for CrossFit that are truly wireless.
Review: You may not think of these as gym headphones but a lot of people love using them to workout. The Apple Airpods are a truly wireless headphone that use the latest technology to deduce when they are in your ear or not.
These headphones automatically turn on when you put them in your ear and turn off when you take them out. The Airpods do not block out all ambient noise, so you can still hear what is going on around you and they are pretty sweatproof.
Battery Life: 5 hr battery life on one charge and up to 24 hrs with the charging case
Water and Sweat Resistance: Sweat and moisture resistant.
- Slimmer and lower profile than most other truly wireless headphones.
- Charging case adds extra charge time to 5 hours you get from just one charge.
- Extremely easy to pair with any Bluetooth device.
- Can be used for hands free phone calls.
- Several people mention these are difficult to keep in, there are silicone covers you can buy to help.
Best Bluetooth headphones for CrossFit in a completely wireless style.
TREBLAB X2 Bluetooth Earbuds
Review: These truly wireless headphones have a shape that somewhat resembles the airpod with a small tube that projects from the bottom, but unlike the airpods, these come with ear fins, silicone and foam tips to get the best fit.
Their battery life is the same as the airpods, except the charging box only carries an extra 5 hours compared to the charging box of the airpods that carries 24 extra hours.
They are just a fraction of the cost of airpods and they have some great features like beryllium HD sound, Siri support, and noise canceling tips you can change out if wanted.
Battery Life: 5 Hr battery life + another 5 more from the charging box.
Water and Sweat Resistance: IPX4 rated sweat and water resistant.
- Supports phone calls and Siri Commands.
- Variety of ear fins and tips to get the perfect fit and most comfort.
- Sweat and water resistant.
- Great price for truly wireless headphones that work well.
- Good noise cancellation.
- Mic quality is not the best.
These truly wireless headphones deserve a second look, they may just end up being your best wireless headphones for CrossFit.
Bose SoundSport Free Truly Wireless Sport Headphone
Review: These truly wireless headphones by Bose are a little larger than most but they do have a 5 hour battery life, plus the case holds another 10 hours, so you will always have your music available.
They feature Bose quality sound that will not disappoint and they stay in very well while you work out.
They are completely wire free and they have easy to use toggle controls on the earbud to answer calls or change the track. Plus they have both Bluetooth and NFC pairing to keep you connected to your tunes.
Battery Life: 5 hrs per charge and case holds 10 extra hours.
Water and Sweat Resistance: Sweat and moisture resistant, but not for showers or steamy conditions.
- Superior sound quality.
- Stay hear with sport tips ensure these headphones stay in even during vigorous activity like jump rope.
- Truly wireless headphones with included charging case for extra battery life.
- Mic picks up background noise.
- Sound delay when watching videos.
SENSO Bluetooth Wireless Headphones
Review: With one of the best prices and a great waterproof rating it is hard to go wrong with choosing these as your go to gym headphones.
They have a great battery life too, and for the price, the sound is pretty good. They are not completely noise cancelling, but they do block out and cut down outside noise quite a bit.
The ear hooks are adjustable and flex to fit your ear shape. They stay in quite well, even during a vigorous workout.
Battery Life: 8 hr battery life.
Water and Sweat Resistance: IPX 7 rating, shower proof and sweat proof.
- Great price.
- Adjustable ear hooks, set of 3 silicone tips, and one set of memory foam tips mean you can create the perfect fit for your ear.
- Excellent sound for the price.
- One of the highest IPX ratings in this list, IPX 7 is sweat, shower and rain proof (not submergible, no swimming).
- Some users notice occasional audio skipping.
Easily the best headphones for CrossFit 2019 in the budget price range.
BlueAnt Pump - Wireless HD Sportbuds
Review: What makes these headphones great for the gym is the waterproofing technology incorporated into the design, and the fact that the earbuds stay put.
The headphones use Kevlar and Teflon with a watertight mesh to repel water and sweat. The ear hooks are hearty and firm, and will not move no matter how intense your routine is.
They also work outside the gym for calls and pairing with a computer or tablet.
Battery Life: 8 hr battery life, audible beep lets you know the battery is getting low.
Water and Sweat Resistance: Completely sweat and rain resistant. Not designed for swimming, because of the signal cuts under water.
- Really strong sweat, moisture and rain resistance. Military grade, according to them.
- Longer range than most wireless headphones. Up to 100 meters.
- Moderately noise cancelling, especially with properly fitted tips- blocks a decent amount of ambient noise.
- Rich vibrant sound with good volume.
- While the packaging and presentation are excellent, the earbuds come with no case. Perhaps they should invest more in a carry case and less on fancy packaging.
The best bluetooth headphones for CrossFit if you sweat buckets and are looking for a low to mid price range set. These will not disappoint!
Plantronics BackBeat FIT Wireless Bluetooth Workout Headphones
Review: These mid level price range wireless headphones by plantronics were made specifically for sports.
They are sweat resistant with an impressive IPX7 rating and can even be used in the shower, just not swimming.
These headphones were designed so you can hear ambient noise, so they do not block outside sound much. They also work for phone calls and can access Siri or Alexa with the push of a button.
Battery Life: 8 hr battery life.
Water and Sweat Resistance: Waterproof IPX7 Splash, sweat and shower proof.
- Firm/flexible behind the neck band stays put better than a behind the neck wire.
- Strong water and sweat proofing.
- Great for running or when you need to hear those around you, they do not block ambient noise.
- Not great for phone calls because the caller may have a hard time hearing you.
If you need to hear the world around you while you have the headphones on, these might be perfect for you.
Phaiser BHS-750 Bluetooth Headphones
Review: These Phaiser BHS-750 headphones are good for blocking ambient noise is you use the included Comply memory foam style tips.
They also incorporate liquipel water resistant technology which means they work at the gym, even during the most intense sweat producing workouts.
All these features are offered at an unbelievable price point. You won’t be disappointed.
Battery Life: 8 hr battery life.
Water and Sweat Resistance: Liquipel waterproofing technology, sweat resistant, perfect for the gym.
- Low price with good quality.
- One pair of “comply” memory foam style earbud tips included – very comfortable and improve sound quality greatly.
- Good sound isolation especially when using the included comply foam tips.
- Magnets in the button on the ear bud allow you to stick the earbuds together so they stay in place around your neck when you are not wearing them.
- The behind the neck wire tends to stick to the back of the neck.
One of the best budget priced headphones for CrossFit I could find.
Now that you have seen 11 excellent headphones for CrossFit don’t hesitate to pick up a pair and rock them during your next trip to the gym or box.
What to see even more Gym headphone reviews? We have more reviews here.
Sign up for our newsletter to receive more reviews and fitness related news directly to your inbox.
Until next time, I will see you at the box!