TOP 15 Best Ab Workout Machines for Your Home Gym Reviewed 2023
Feel confident showing off your abs this summer and create a six pack worth checking out.
By investing in one of the best ab machines of 2023 for your home or garage gym.
I did some checking around and after extensive research I rounded up the 15 best home gym equipment for abs.
I will show you some simple ab routines you can do from home, look at different types of ab machines, what you need to know before picking the best ab machine for home, and start off strong with reviews of the 15 best ab workout machines of 2023 for your home gym.
- TOP 15 Best Ab Workout Machines of 2023
- Fitness Hardware ABLE Rotating Stands
- Fitness Reality X-Class Abdominal Bench
- Inspire Fitness Ab Bench
- Wonder Core Smart
- Marcy Adjustable Hyperextension Roman Chair
- Pexmor Yoga Half Ball Balance Trainer
- Weider Ultimate Body Works
- PlankPad Balance Board Fitness Trainer
- Daiwa Felicity Compact Core Trainer
- Stealth Core Gamer Trainer
- Ab Coaster Max
- Lifeline Power Wheel
- Core Coaster Body Exerciser
- Body Champ VKR1010 Fitness Power Tower
- Valeo Ab Roller Wheel
- Finding the Best Ab Workout Machine – What to Look For
- The 5 Types of Ab Machine
- Ab Machine FAQs
TOP 15 Best Ab Workout Machines of 2023
Fitness Hardware ABLE Rotating Stands
- PATENTED – Designed and Engineered at our HQ in Seattle, WA USA
- ENGINEERED TO LAST – ABLE Push Up Bars' Rotating, Rolling and Gliding Action Adds Challenge To Push Ups and Ab Roller Workout Moves
- MULTI-SURFACE FUNCTIONALITY – Use ABLE push up handles on carpeting, rubberized gym floors, rugs, wood floors, laminate and more
- HEAVY DUTY PUSH UP BARS - User Weight Limit of 400 Lbs
- TOE LOCK DESIGN For Face Down Ab And Core Training Moves
Review: The Fitness Hardware ABLE (Advanced Bodyweight Leverage Equipment) rolling push-up platforms are a great fit for any home gym, from beginner setups to the gym of an advanced athlete.
I got a pair of ABLE Rollers because I needed something to use in place of the ab rollers we have in my functional fitness class.
They exceeded my expectations. They can replace the ab roller and do so much more. Plus they feel secure and sturdy to use, unlike the ab roller which feels like it’s on the brink of breaking in half when I put my weight on it.
I use my ABLE rollers to do mountain climbers, ab roll, planks, reverse crunches, side lunges, push-up flys and more.
The ABLE rollers, unlike others, have 4 wheels each and provide a nice stable base for each hand (or foot). They are built solid, not flimsy and cheap.
The handlebar has a firm rubber cover over a stainless steel bar. These platforms have some heft and substance to them and I was quite impressed once I opened mine up.
- Bodyweight and calisthenics equipment.
- Plenty challenging for advanced athletes.
- Easy enough for beginners.
- Sturdy, heavy-duty push-up platforms.
- Great replacement for Ab roller, much more versatile.
- Learning curve figuring out foot placement.
Best ab machine of 2023, superior build quality, ideal for bodyweight and calisthenics, challenging enough for advanced athletes yet easy enough for beginners.
Fitness Reality X-Class Abdominal Bench
- Set Up Dimensions: 64” L x 28.8” W x 35” H; 36”L x 8-12”W tapered bench with 2.5” thick medium density foam
- 1 flat and 3 decline bench adjustments and 14 thigh support cushion height adjustments
- Sweat and moisture resistant double stitched vinyl bench covering
- Transportation wheels for easy moving from room to room
- 1.5” round soft and slip resistant push up and dip handle bars
Review: This Fitness Reality X-Class Ab bench will help you get your body beach-ready for the summer.
You can use it for plenty of ab and core exercises including decline sit-ups, reverse sit-ups and knee raises.
Many other exercises can be done on this bench to target the back and glutes, making this a versatile and useful piece of fitness equipment for your home gym.
- 650 lb weight capacity and user up to 6’4”.
- One flat and three decline positions.
- Commercial quality piece of gym equipment.
- Large, takes up some floor space in your home gym.
Top-rated bench for abs, core, back and glutes to fine tune and shape your body.
Inspire Fitness Ab Bench
- STRENGTHEN YOUR CORE: Core muscles support nearly every movement your body makes. This Inspire Fitness Ab Bench provides an isolated ab workout to help you burn calories and build strong core muscles
- AIDS PROPER FORM: Supportive back and head pads minimize strain and enable you to maintain proper form throughout each crunch
- BUILDABLE RESISTANCE: With a built-in weight horn, advanced users can add weight plates for even more resistance
- TARGETED MUSCLE GROUPS: This at home gym ab bench targets obliques, abdominals and back
- INSPIRING FITNESS AT EVERY LEVEL: Our heart and soul are in home and commercial fitness equipment. We design and engineer the best fitness equipment in the game to empower all bodies and inspire fitness across the globe
Review: You will be proud to own this long-lasting high-quality ab bench for your home gym. It works for people of all sizes and allows you to lift with the abs and core, without straining your back and neck like traditional sit-ups.
The highlight of this machine, besides its amazing quality, is that you can add weight plates on a peg in the back, to add resistance and challenge to your sit up.
- PRO quality at a home gym price.
- Hinge uses smooth-rolling bearings.
- Easy to assemble, partially assembled.
- Weight plates can be added for additional resistance.
- Expensive, yet luxury, option for abs.
Sturdy, solid, top-quality, commercial ab bench that can accept added weight plates and take your sit-up to the next level.
If you are thinking about adding a sit-up bench to your home gym, it’s a great investment in your back and yourself. Check out these sit-up bench reviews and pick one up today!
Wonder Core Smart
- DESIGN: The Wonder Core Smart is a push up & pull up bar, the revolutionary new fitness breakthrough. Designed to target your entire core.
- MUSCLE & CARDIO: Provides total body muscle toning and cardio in one compact system, maximizing results & minimizing strain.
- TARGET: Allows you to target a variety of muscle groups, including your upper, middle and lower abs and obliques, thighs, glutes, calves, forearms, triceps and biceps
- ADJUSTABLE DUAL RESISTANCE: Customize your routine with different resistance levels. Burn calories & firm up while you're sitting down.
- PORTABLE: Compact & portable.
Review: The Wonder Core is an easy, compact ab machine that virtually anyone can use. It assists you in performing 6 key core exercises including sit-ups and push-ups, which is a great help for the untrained person or those who have a lot of weight to lose.
This machine can also be used for a light cardio workout by sitting in a chair with your feet on the arms, pressing down and using the wonder core as a stepper.
- 6 exercises, plus cardio.
- Beginner-friendly. Perfect for those with a lot of weight to lose.
- Compact, foldable, great for small spaces.
- Not enough resistance or intensity for a heavy workout.
Best ab machine for beginners and those who have a lot of weight to lose, great for abs, strengthening and light cardio.
Looking for more weight loss machines?
The Wonder Core Smart is a great start, but if you need something with a little more challenge and intensity as you progress in your journey, why not check out this list I created of the best weight loss exercise machines and pick up a machine that will help you accelerate your weight loss?
Marcy Adjustable Hyperextension Roman Chair
- VERSATILE EQUIPMENT – This training bench can be used for a wide variety of abdominal workouts. It helps strengthen the lower back while targeting the glutes and hamstring muscles for superb definition. Carve out the rock-hard abs you’ve always wanted with this equipment that allows you to perform challenging workouts to develop your core.
- HYPEREXTENSION BENCH – The Marcy Roman Chair features a back hyperextension station that lets you position yourself correctly while performing a variety of movements. Sit and lean backward to develop your core or flip over to perform back workouts with targeted motions.
- INTEGRATED PADDING – This gym equipment comes with high-density foam, padded handles, adjustable two-foam leg holders, and polymer upholstery to accommodate a variety of workout regimens for your convenience and maximum comfort.
- PREMIUM QUALITY CONSTRUCTION – Made with a sturdy, heavy-duty tubing frame with a powder-coated finish, this equipment is guaranteed to stand the test of time. It won’t sway under your weight, as the structure’s solid frame and ergonomic style guarantee reliable stability for every workout regimen.
- GYM-AT-HOME EXPERIENCE – Whether you’d like to strengthen your core, ease back pain, improve your posture, or build your six-pack abs, the Marcy Roman Chair will bring you a safe and solid way to work on your fitness goals right in the comfort of home. Its sleek and compact design allows you to store it conveniently in a corner in conjunction with the rest of your exercise equipment. Simply tuck it into a small space when it’s not in use.
Review: This Marcy Roman chair hyperextension bench will work your abs, back, glutes and hamstrings, making it a multi-tasker and worthy investment in your home gym.
My favorite thing about this roman chair, besides how many exercises you can do on it, is that it allows you to do sit-ups without killing your back, tailbone and neck. It allows you to focus strictly on your ab muscles to pull you up instead of straining at the neck.
You can also use it for obliques with a simple twist during the sit-up. You can use it for side sit-ups and weighted sit-ups too. It’s the best ab machine for home for experienced athletes.
- 300 lb weight capacity.
- Adjustable height footpad.
- Assist handles on each side of the back pad.
- Compact, compared to other ab benches.
- Pad is hard.
A great tool for advanced athletes to sculpt and define all core muscles. Plus it exercises glutes, back and hamstrings too!
Like the idea of having a roman chair in your home or garage gym? I have a list of the best roman chairs reviewed here. Pick one out today!
Pexmor Yoga Half Ball Balance Trainer
- ★ Upgraded Pebble Textured Surface to Massage: The newest version half balance ball in the market. Pebble textured surface that helps to stimulate the body acupuncture points and reduce fatigue, gentle spikes stimulate blood flow and circulation. Perfect to massage sore feet and back.
- ★ 100% Safety: Our half fitness ball is made of environmentally friendly PVC to avoid allergy. It does no harm to your health. Anti-slide base & anti-skid texture to improve users' stability. Wear-resistant ABS base plus 8 anti-skid feet and anti-burst technology guarantee safety during use. 660 lbs large weight capacity.
- ★ Lightweight & Portability: Our balance trainer ball with fitness cords is designed with compact size, easy for you to carry it to the gym, park, or beach to enjoy workout. Half dome ball is the absolute best exercise gear for your home workout and a great addition to your yoga practice.
- ★ Free Bonus for you: Come with a complimentary foot pump. And two air plugs. Also with 2 detachable resistance bands broaden workout types, so you can do front squat, standing adductor, bent-over row and more to reshape your body. Now let our yoga ball be your personal trainer and enjoy superb gym experiences at home.
- ★ Versatile Workout Balance trainer: Exercise ball with anti-skid peddle texture is compatible with a variety of exercises including lower-ab crunch, plank, triceps dip and more, ideal for users of all ages to increase core strength, stability and flexibility and making the best of your home fitness routine.This anti-burst half stability ball is durable and easy to clean after use.
Review: The Pexmor half yoga ball Ab trainer allows you to really work the stabilizing muscles in your core, because it forces you to engage those muscles to keep your balance. You can use this half ball for V-sits, sit-ups, balance practice and more.
And its not just for abs! Try it for squats, side lunges, hip thrusters and planks and you will see, it can provide a full-body workout.
- 600 lb weight capacity.
- Full body workout possible with this half yoga ball.
- Includes foot pump and two resistance bands for an arm workout.
- Inexpensive “bosu” ball alternative.
- Nubs on this ball could be softer, they are too hard.
Affordable Bosu ball alternative – half yoga ball for your home gym.
Balance balls and Bosu balls are great for the home gym because they are small and multipurpose, allowing you to exercise all major muscle groups. Check out more great balance balls reviewed here.
Weider Ultimate Body Works
- Dimensions: 59" L x 27.5" W x 48" H
- Max. Weight capacity: 250 pounds
- Cushion material: Foam
- Cable-and-pulley system allows for greater versatility and an expanded range of motion
- This item benefits from an Extended 90 Day Return Window
Review: I love the Weider Gym for so many reasons. It’s affordable, offers resistance training and cardio, works all major muscle groups and fits under the bed when you are done.
But best of all?
It’s a great ab exerciser. You can use it for decline sit-ups, cable crunch, leg lift and oblique twists.
It’s a great value, and you can tuck it under the bed or out of the way in a closet when you are done.
- Upgrade resistance using resistance bands.
- Foldable and compact, will fit under the bed.
- Exercise and strength training for the whole body.
- 250 lb weight limit.
Cost effective and compact. Best ab workout machine at home for the core and the entire body.
All in one home gyms are the perfect solution for small spaces. They can be used in a bedroom, in front of the TV, or even in your home office. Check out this list I created of the best all-in-one home gyms and see if there is one that fits your situation.
PlankPad Balance Board Fitness Trainer
- FIT IN A FEW MINUTES A DAY: The plank workout is one of the most effective exercises. The core training strengthens many important muscle groups at the same time as the abs and back. You build muscle quickly, burn fat, get fit and prevent back pain,
- FULL-BODY TRAINING WITH FUN FACTOR: The Plankpad is more than a fitness device. In combination with the synchronized app, the balance board combines the workout with games. Your body becomes the controller and the movement controls the games. The plank exercise becomes more dynamic, more muscle groups are addressed and the games distract from the effort.
- PLAY GAMES & TRAIN ALL MUSCLES: With the full body trainer, you train all important muscle groups, arms, shoulders, back, abs, glutes and legs simultaneously and with high efficiency using the plank workouts.
- ALSO GREAT AS A BALANCE BOARD: It doesn't always have to be the plank exercise. The Plankpad can also be used as a balance board. So you playfully strengthen your posture, deep muscles, responsiveness, motor coordination with the wobble board and even lose weight. Connecting to a smart TV is even fun for the whole family.
- SCOPE OF DELIVERY: Plankpad PRO, anti-slip mat, manual, Plank workout poster and incl. Plankpad app with many games and workouts for iPhone, iPad and Android devices for an interactive full body workout.
Review: Take your plank to the next level and give your core a workout like no other with the PlankPad.
What is it? It is a core exercise trainer that uses a rectangular surface on rockers that forces you to balance your body as you plank, further engaging the stabilizing core muscles.
This plank pad comes with a phone app specially designed to be used with the PlankPad. This app has you playing games as you plank, so you are distracted from the pain, instead of counting the seconds slowly tick by.
- Included app really makes the plank time fly by.
- This PlankPad comes with a rubber mat to protect your floors.
- Quality wood finish, a handsome piece of exercise equipment.
- Good for balance and core, but not cardio or strength.
The PlankPad makes planking fun, and gives a great core and ab workout.
Daiwa Felicity Compact Core Trainer
- The Only Fitness Equipment You Need - Rodeo core ab machine helps cardio and can aid in weight loss
- Save Space - Compact size provides a home workout without turning your living room into Muscle Beach
- No More Embarrassing Poses - The ultimate butt workout equipment for women and men in your own home
- No Electricity Needed - Convenient at home exercise equipment for women & men self-powered by you
- Less Chance of Injury - low impact at home workout equipment for women and men is easy on joints
Review: The Rodeo core is a compact home gym ab machine that uses a gentle rocking motion, designed to simulate riding a horse, to work the ab muscles.
It is small enough to fit in your home gym and light enough to move around the house if needed. It exercises the abs, glutes and back muscles all with one smooth rocking motion.
Plus it’s so fun to ride, it won’t feel like exercise at all. One of the best gym machines for abs you can get.
- Really easy to put together and use.
- Quiet enough to use while watching TV.
- Fun, novel & gentle way to work lower body muscles, including abs, butt, calves & thighs.
- No way to increase tension or difficulty.
Quiet, compact, fun and works several muscle groups, including Abs. Voted best ab workout machine for home for people with limited mobility.
Stealth Core Gamer Trainer
- Stealth is the new portable health club quality fitness product that pushes you to the highest level of core training in the privacy of your own home.
- Play games on your smartphone by using your Abs. The Stealth Fitness app is FREE and includes 4 games "Stealth Speed Gliding", "Color Chase", "Galaxy Adventure" and "Space Escape." Tracks your daily progress and includes real-time Worldwide Leaderboard. Create and compete in challenges with friends and family. No Subscription Required. Premium Game version is available with new games!
- The worlds first interactive core trainer. Stealth takes one of the most basic training exercises, the plank, and turns it into a full-on gaming experience.
- Get a strong core and a healthy back in under 3 minutes a day. Stealth uses your core strength to control the action on your mobile phone screen, making static exercises like the plank more engaging — for your muscles and your brain.
- Never do boring planks, or sit-ups or crunches! Stealth’s Interactive Core Trainer makes core planking workouts fun and exciting by integrating mobile gaming. STEALTH features a proprietary design with 360 degree full range of motion for superior dynamic planking.
Review: You have never seen an ab machine like this before! If you like playing games and dread working abs, this may be the answer to your problems.
The Stealth Core is a rotating board you lean or lie on, then place your smartphone in the holder and move according to the demands of the game on your phone app.
It is so fun, the workout will fly by. If you are wondering how good the workout is, all your fears will dissipate when you wake up with sore abs the next day.
- It’s a game, but it really works. A fun ab workout, one you actually look forward to!
- A plank exercise that working all core muscles.
- Get involved in group challenges and track workouts on the included app.
- Only one game available on the app.
A fresh new way to get the strong defined abs you always wanted. Best ab workout equipment for gamers.
Ab Coaster Max
Review: The Ab Coaster Max offers an excellent ab workout that is so much easier on the back and neck that the traditional sit-ups and crunches.
The machine works lower mid and upper abs on the way up and the way down, for max muscle activation. The seat turns, allowing you to twist to target obliques as well, so all core muscles are engaged.
- Scientifically proven to engage ab muscles as much or greater than the traditional crunch.
- Exercise in a comfortable upright position, suitable for people of all abilities. No more floor work!
- Includes ab cardio workout DVD, meal plan, and guide.
- Accommodates riders up to 300 lbs.
- Cushions could be more comfortable.
Best exercise machine for abs for big, heavy and tall users.
Lifeline Power Wheel
- Increase balance, coordination, and stamina while strengthening core, upper and lower body
- Simultaneously work up to 20 muscles in your entire body
- Place hands shoulder width apart or feet in stirrups to more exercise options
- Adjustable and secure foot straps and stirrups for quick on/off
- Comfortable, soft foam grip limits hand fatigue
Review: Looking for the best ab wheel? This is it.
Unlike the traditional ab wheel where you place your hands on the handles, this roller can be used with hands and feet for greater variety and targeting muscles in a different way.
Secure foot stirrups allow you to ride the wheel in a lying position, bringing your knees to your chest and back out, working lower, mid and upper abs.
- Large robust tire tread wheel with serious traction.
- Comfortable foam handle grips.
- Secure foot straps that Velcro closed for easy on, easy off use.
- No workout guide or DVD included.
The best ab roller machine that you can use with both hands and feet, the most versatile ab roller on the market.
Core Coaster Body Exerciser
- Effective and Versatile - Core Coasters come with an exercise instructions poster with 30 fun, challenging, and dynamic movements for any fitness level to develop core strength, flexibility, and body coordination. You will not find core exercise equipment that allows for this much variation in movement for a complete core workout. An ab wheel roller only goes in one direction, sliders only work on the carpet, but the Core Coaster is the best of all abdominal exercise equipment.
- Proven More Effective - Core Coaster has been scientifically proven by the University of Alabama to activate the obliques 435% more than a traditional crunch and 300% more than a pike. Forget an ab roller wheel, gliding discs, or ab exercise wheel - the ab coaster simply offers a better ab workout and it's more fun which means it's easier to stick with it.
- Fun and Challenging - strengthen your core and entire body! For any fitness level (levels 1-4 with instructions provided). Train your abs, and work your way up through the levels for increasing challenge. Why use a core roller or abdominal wheel that offers 1 movement when you can get a core and abs trainer that offers super dynamic movement for effective workout fun!
- Abs Workout Equipment for Home and Gym - Works on any hard surface as well as rubber gym floors, thin carpet, linoleum, and astro-turf. Portable, versatile, sturdy. The ultimate core workout equipment for home and gym.
- Quality You Can Feel - All of Core Prodigy’s products are designed to last. Each product is inspected with the highest quality standards. If you are unhappy for any reason, we will make it right.
Review: The Core Coaster is a small rolling platform that can be used with both hands and feet. Sets of two are available for the added challenge of using one for each foot or hand.
This equipment is simple in presentation, but is one of the most challenging ab machines in this list of best ab machines for the home gym.
This is perfect for experienced athletes and those looking to take their core workouts to the next level.
- Very versatile, works abs, oblique’s, shoulders, back, glutes – you name it!
- Scientifically proven to offer more core challenge than traditional floor-based core exercises.
- Very affordable and portable.
- Cannot be used on carpet or soft gym mats.
Most challenging and best ab workout equipment, for the price, it has the potential to work practically all major muscle groups – including abs!
Body Champ VKR1010 Fitness Power Tower
- Sturdy Design With Reliable Support: We Designed This Standing Power Tower With An H-Frame Base For Enhanced Stability So The User Can Perform Exercises On Either Side. It Also Has 2 Arched Stability Bars To Make The Steel Frame Sturdy. It Measures 58.5" X 46.5" X 83"
- All In One Gym Equipment For Home: The 4-Station Vkr Power Tower Is The Full Package With Front And Back Training Stations. Use It For Vertical Knee And Leg Raises, As A Dip Station, As A Lat/Pull-Up Bar, Or As Push-Up Bars. Tone Your Entire Body With Our Workout Equipment For A Total Gym Experience
- Strength And Cardio Home Gym Equipment: With So Many Different Workout Possibilities, You'Ll Be Able To Easily Do Hiit Circuits, Strength Training, Targeting Specific Muscle Groups Without The Need For Weights. Tone Your Shoulders, Biceps, Chest, Legs, And Even Abdominal Muscles
- Bodyweight Resistance Training Machine: Once You Have This At-Home Fitness Equipment Set Up, You'Ll Be Able To Work Out And Circuit Train Easily Without Anything Extra. Now You Can Easily Build Muscle And Increase Definition Without Purchasing Expensive Weights
Review: The Body Champ power tower incorporates a captain’s chair for an assortment of ab exercises like leg raises, knees to chest, straight leg lift, angled knee raises to target oblique’s and single leg lifts to focus on one side at a time and challenge yourself.
In addition to the killer ab workout you get from a power tower, it also works just about every other muscle group in your body making the power tower an excellent and valuable addition to your home gym.
- Works abs, oblique and core.
- Works all major muscle groups, valuable equipment for any home gym.
- High quality at an affordable price.
- Stable and sturdy.
- If you are on the small side, the arms of this power tower may be too wide.
An excellent addition to your home gym for perfect abs and more.
Power Towers are a good investment if you have a small home gym budget. Many include a pull-up bar, dip station and captain chair to work abs, all for one low price. Check out this list of the best power towers out there and level up your home gym.
Valeo Ab Roller Wheel
- MOST EFFECTIVE CORE TRAINING WORKOUT: Strengthen and tone abs, shoulder, arms and back
- STURDY & DURABLE: Two non-skid wheels for stability slides across any surface without wobbling or slipping for smooth controlled movements
- COMFORABLE & SLIP RESISTANT GRIP: Features easy-grip handles to prevent slippage during even the most intense workout
- COMPACT & LIGHTWEIGHT: Dual ab wheel is lightweight and portable, easy to assemble & easy to use
- GREAT FOR ALL LEVELS: Fitness guide with exercises included will guide you through a complete workout
Review: Very inexpensive and very effective, this Valeo ab roller has grippy rubber handles and a spoked wheel that evenly distributes your weight as you roll.
The handle and support is made from strong steel tubing, so this wheel can handle a lot of weight.
- Steel tube construction, holds heavy users 250 lbs plus.
- Best deal, a cheap ab machine, under 20 bucks.
- Textured non-slip tread.
- If you have sensitive hands, you might be more comfortable wearing gloves.
The best value for a home gym ab machine, effective and low priced.
Finding the Best Ab Workout Machine – What to Look For
Easy to Use
To start with, it needs to be something that is easy to use. No one wants to have something that is far too complex for daily use.
We’ve all been in a situation where we bought something only to never use it because it was too difficult or too much of a problem to use.
Think About Your Specific Challenges
Another thing to look for is that it has to be the right fit for you.
- Fitness is NOT a one-size-fits-all experience.
- You must tailor fitness to your individual needs.
- What I do is not what is best for you necessarily.
So it is very important that you pick the best ab workout machine for you.
Whether you are a beginner or an expert, whether you have lower back issues, and age can all have a massive effect on what machine you should choose.
Another factor to consider is whether you want to isolate the abs only or work other muscle groups too.
You must also understand before you buy that these ab workout machines don’t work miracles by themselves.
You can’t just put on some ab chiseling belt you saw on a late-night infomercial and expect to lose all of your belly fat miraculously revealing the chiseled midsection of a Greek god!
You need a real piece of exercise equipment and it will take work, commitment, and possibly a change in diet to create the abs you want.
The 5 Types of Ab Machine
I am going to go over five basic types of ab workout machines and their various benefits and potential disadvantages.
Ab Wheels or Ab Rollers
The Ab roller ab machine is something that just about everyone has seen but very few have used.
It is a machine that trains all the parts of the core with bodyweight alone. In addition to working the core, it also works your shoulders, chest, arms, and hamstrings.
These machines are not for the faint of heart. Ab wheels are for people that have some experience working out and already have a solid core.
This means that you MUST also have a strong lower back, which is something that many people forget to work!
You also have to get on the floor to use these, so keep that in mind when selecting which is the best ab workout machine for you!
Sit Up Benches and Ab Benches
This is a great option because it is adjustable in terms of intensity.
Not quite feeling a hard workout but want to do something?
Simply lay it flat and start doing sit-ups!
With sit-up benches, you can typically lay it down flat, or lay it down to the decline position, for added intensity.
An added bonus with this type of machine is that you can add weights to it in order to do your exercises. You can also work other body parts at the same time making them a great investment.
For example, you can do chest press while doing leg raises while lying flat on the bench!
The one thing to look out for is to make sure that you purchase a bench that holds up under your weight plus any weight you decide to add to the exercise!
Power Tower Captain’s Chair
Power towers are very well known by most people. They are very common in home and garage gyms as they allow you to work many different body areas and muscle groups while taking up very little space.
Power towers allow you to do bodyweight exercises, such as pull-ups and leg raises to work your abs!
Power towers also allow you to work the back and believe me, a strong back is an important component of a strong core!
The one downside to power towers is space, but luckily there are many compact space-saving models out there, so check and see which is best for you and your home gym space.
Roman Chairs and Back Hyperextension Benches
Roman chairs are a little less-known than the other three machines we’ve mentioned so far. This is likely because the Roman chair primarily works the lower back.
A strong back makes it possible for you to be able to the ab roller or other ab machines more effectively.
Roman chairs allow you to essentially hyper-extend in order to strengthen your lower back. This can cause problems and discomfort for people with bad backs, legs, or even hamstrings.
This may be one to talk to the doctor about if problems exist. As an added bonus, you can also do sit-ups on the Roman chair!
Exercise Ball, Stability Ball, Core Ball, Bosu Ball
Let’s get it straight right now: these are not just for women!
This is an excellent tool for anyone to use in order to build their core.
Exercise balls always work core muscles because no matter what move you are doing, whether it be abs or not, you are forced to squeeze the core and use stabilizer muscles in order to keep the ball from moving and keep your balance.
The benefits of exercise balls include:
- Very compact.
- Many exercises can be done using it.
- It’s inexpensive.
- Improves balance.
The only potential con is if you have a lack of balance! If so, you might want to start with an easier option before moving to the exercise ball.
Vibration plates are easy to use and great for improving balance.
Want to know how an exercise ball can strengthen your abs? Check out this video.
Ab Exercise Accessory Items
There are also many other choices that you can make in order to work your abs. Battle ropes (like you see in a tug-of-war) have become very popular, particularly in CrossFit.
Another option is the hula hoop, which is a really fun and simple way to exercise without thinking about it.
Medicine balls can also help the more advanced user while someone new may want to consider using resistance bands sort of like those used in Pilates.
Ab Machine FAQs
What is the Best Abs Workout Machine?
The best Ab machine is the one you will use consistently.
If you want to know my favorite ab machine, it’s a toss-up between the Fitness Hardware ABLE rollers and the Fitness Reality X-Class Abdominal Bench.
I really like the Fitness Hardware ABLE rollers because they are compact so they do not take up too much space in my home gym, well built and stable, so I feel safe and secure using them, and they do so much. There are really so many exercises they can be used for.
The Fitness Reality X-Class Abdominal Bench is another ab machine I would love to have because I hate doing crunches and sit-ups on the floor. It hurts! Plus it’s one of the only machines I know of that targets the back muscles.
What is the Best Ab Machine for Home Use?
If you are really limited in terms of space and money an ab roller is a very inexpensive option.
If you are a beginner or have a lot of weight to lose, the Wonder Core Smart will make getting back in shape easier.
If you are looking for a good value, and one machine that does it all, the Weider Ultimate Body Works is an all in one gym that is great for Ab exercises.
And for advanced athletes, the ABLE Roller Push-up platforms will give your core a great workout.
Are Ab Machines Effective?
Yes, the right ab machine used consistently will bring results.
Keep in mind, the body you want depends on what you eat and how you exercise. You could have strong abs, but may never see them if they are hiding under a layer of winter chub.
Getting your diet on point is as important to your fitness goals as the right Ab machine. Believe that!
What Cardio Machine is Best for Abs?
The best cardio machine for abs, in my estimation, is the rowing machine.
The rowing machine engages the core muscles, including the abs, for the entire rowing movement.
In addition to that, the rowing machine burns a lot of calories in a short amount of time, so you can melt away fat that is covering your abs faster.
Take a look at this list of the best rowing machines for more ideas on this ab creation, fat-burning cardio machine.
Why wait? Pick up an ab machine for your home or garage gym and make your goal of defined Abs a reality.
Do you love home gym equipment? It’s our passion at Garage Gym Power. Sign up for the newsletter today and get new gear reviews and news direct to your inbox.