Roman Chairs & Hyperextension Benches
Best Roman Chairs & TOP 6 Hyperextension Benches 2022
Garagegympower is reader-supported. When you purchase through links in our articles, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Are you looking for a way to strengthen your back and spine and create strong, defined glutes and lower back?
You can have a strong lower back, glutes and spine if you consistently use a Roman chair in your gym routine.
I am going to run through the basics of a Roman chair, what they are, how they work, and how to choose the best roman chair for you. I will wrap it up with 11 reviews of the top rated Roman chairs.
What to consider when buying a Roman Chair
- Price: When choosing a roman chair, the first thing you should be taking into account is its price and how much you are willing to spend on this piece of equipment.
- Stability: Your roman chair will need to be stable in order for you to be able to use it efficiently and safely, so make sure to get one that has both the appropriate size and weight capacity for you.
- Features: Do you need any extra features? Some Roman Chairs come with built-in massage rollers or adjustable back supports. Additional features will usually drive the price up to, but sometimes it’s better to spend a few extra bucks in order to avoid buyer’s remorse.
- Construction: Make sure the Roman Chair is made from high-quality materials and is well-constructed. This will ensure that it is durable and will last for years.
- Tests and Ratings: As always, we recommend you check the user reviews and test scores of the model you are looking at, as those will tell you how durable, comfortable and useful the equipment really is.
This is how we select and evaluate products on GGP
In this article, we review a number of popular products that we have found using in-depth research and analysis work. The products you find in the article are sold by one or more of our partners. Although these partnerships may influence the range of products in the article, our recommendations are based on an overall assessment of the product.
We evaluate and compare products in the article based on:
- Official and impartial product tests
- Customer reviews and opinions about the product
- Data on user behavior and preferences
- Specifications, characteristics, and disadvantages of the product
- Guarantees, service, and reputation of the dealer
Apart from that, we compare the price and quality of each product and deliver our subjective assessments and recommendations to our readers. The position of the product in the list does not necessarily reflect its quality, as all the products we review are picked as the best choice for certain users.
Marcy JD-3.1 - Best Overall Roman Chair/Hyperextension Bench
The Marcy JD-3.1 is a comfortable roman chair that offers a wide variety of abdominal workouts, while the sleek and compact design makes it a perfect addition to any home gym.
- Sleek and compact design
- Offers a wide variety of abdominal workouts
- Comfortable vinyl upholstery
- VERSATILE EQUIPMENT – This training bench can be used for a wide variety of abdominal workouts. It helps strengthen the lower back while targeting the glutes and hamstring muscles for superb definition. Carve out the rock-hard abs you’ve always wanted with this equipment that allows you to perform challenging workouts to develop your core.
- HYPEREXTENSION BENCH – The Marcy Roman Chair features a back hyperextension station that lets you position yourself correctly while performing a variety of movements. Sit and lean backward to develop your core or flip over to perform back workouts with targeted motions.
- INTEGRATED PADDING – This gym equipment comes with high-density foam, padded handles, adjustable two-foam leg holders, and polymer upholstery to accommodate a variety of workout regimens for your convenience and maximum comfort.
- PREMIUM QUALITY CONSTRUCTION – Made with a sturdy, heavy-duty tubing frame with a powder-coated finish, this equipment is guaranteed to stand the test of time. It won’t sway under your weight, as the structure’s solid frame and ergonomic style guarantee reliable stability for every workout regimen.
- GYM-AT-HOME EXPERIENCE – Whether you’d like to strengthen your core, ease back pain, improve your posture, or build your six-pack abs, the Marcy Roman Chair will bring you a safe and solid way to work on your fitness goals right in the comfort of home. Its sleek and compact design allows you to store it conveniently in a corner in conjunction with the rest of your exercise equipment. Simply tuck it into a small space when it’s not in use.
Garage Gym Power's Takeaway
The Marcy JD-3.1 Roman Chair is a great choice for people looking for an affordable, adjustable roman chair with some extra features. The height adjustment and 300 lbs capacity are both great bonuses, and the side assist handles make it easy to get on and off the bench. The plywood on the hip pad is only ½ inch thick and has some give, but this doesn’t take away from the overall quality of the chair. For these reasons, the Marcy JD-3.1 roman chair is our top pick for the best overall roman chair.
Pros and cons for Marcy JD-3.1
- Adjustable Height Ankle pads.
- Side assist handles on the side of the thigh/hip pad.
- 300 lbs capacity.
- Plywood on the hip pad is only ½ inch thick and has some give.
What you need to know about the Marcy JD-3.1
The Marcy Hyper Extension Bench is a great piece of equipment for adding depth and dimension to your workouts. It comes with high-density foam padding, adjustable two-foam leg holders, and polymer upholstery so you can customize your experience to match your needs.
The sturdy tubing frame has a powder-coated finish, ensuring that it will last through even the most intense workouts. Best of all, this bench is incredibly affordable, making it a great value for your money. So if you’re looking to add some hyperextension exercises to your routine, the Marcy Hyper Extension Bench is a perfect choice.
The user ratings for the Marcy Hyper Extension Bench are overall positive. Most people say it is easy to set up and use, as well as incredibly sturdy and well-made. A few didn’t like the fact that it is so short, and they find the padding to be a bit thin, but overall people are quite happy with it.
- Weight Capacity: 308 lbs
- Item Weight: 42 lbs
- Dimensions: 43.5 x 27.5 x 37.5 inches
ROGUE ABRAM GHD 2.0- GHD and Hyperextension bench in one
The Rogue Abram GHD 2.0 is a compact, portable machine that is perfect for athletes who want to strengthen their hamstrings and glutes. This machine is stable and consistent, with smooth, precision adjustments.
- Advanced 10-slot roller assembly
- Made in the USA from 2x3” 11-gauge steel
- Maximum sturdiness through peak power output
Garage Gym Power's Takeaway
The Rogue Abram GHD 2.0 is a top-of-the-line roman chair that offers an impressive number of workout options, as well as the durability and quality you expect from a Rogue product. It is larger than other models but this also makes it more stable and easier to use. If you are looking for a high-quality roman chair that will provide a challenging workout, the Rogue Abram GHD 2.0 is definitely worth considering. It is a bit pricier than other models on the list, but it also provides you with a lot more options when it comes to strength training, so it’s quite worth the investment and that makes it our Premium Choice.
Pros and cons for ROGUE ABRAM GHD 2.0
- Enable the user to quickly adjust the roller assembly, with 10 lock-in positions
- True commercial gym quality.
- For a nearly 200LB+ machine, the GHD 2.0 is both easy to set up and easy to move
- Larger than other models, but it also offers more workout options
What you need to know about the ROGUE ABRAM GHD 2.0
The GHD 2.0 has been redesigned and updated to be the best fitness equipment on the market. It boasts a more ergonomic design, a wider stance for stability, rubber feet for grip and strength, and new color accents to choose from.
For athletes looking to build muscle while getting their roman chair out of storage or off the floor, the GHD 2.0 is the perfect choice. It’s also a great option for facilities with a wide range of athletes, as it can be easily adjusted to accommodate their needs. With a weight capacity of up to 550 lbs, this roman chair is incredibly sturdy and durable. Plus, all required hardware is included so you can start using it right out of the box.
User ratings on this product are overwhelmingly positive, most of them are praising how versatile it is, and “built like a tank”. So if you’re looking for a roman chair that can do it all, the GHD 2.0 is your best bet. It’s a bit pricier than other models on the market, but its versatility and quality make it well worth the investment. Compare it to the roman chairs from other brands and you’ll see that the GHD 2.0 is in a league of its own.
- Foot Print: 73" x 44-1/2"
- Product Weight: 222LB
Stamina X Hyper Bench - Extremely versatile roman chair
The Stamina X Hyper Bench is a roman chair that helps you burn calories and strengthens your abs and back. It is fully supported by the müüv app, which helps you move 500+ minutes per month with the right mix of cardio, strength, and flexibility for a healthy and sustainable lifestyle.
- Easy-to-clean upholstery padded for comfort
- Supported by müüv, the audio coaching app
- Small enough to store in a closet
- HOME FITNESS HYPEREXTENSION TRAINING - Stamina X hyperextension bench helps strengthen the back while improving your posture, mobility, and balance. This exercise bench can relieve lower back stiffness and reduce the risk of any future injuries.
- EFFICIENT CORE WORKOUT- This fitness bench is used for upper and lower body workouts for a convenient, all-in-one solution for sculpting your muscular core. This bench stabilizes your core muscles while toning your arms, glutes, and legs.
- ADJUSTABLE AND COMFORTABLE - Our workout bench features height-adjustable, upholstered back and leg cushions, pivoting foam leg rollers, and wide, non-slip handlebars for a comfortable workout.
- SPACE SAVING DESIGN - This compact and foldable back extension machine is designed for easy storage and is ideal for users with limited space. Our exercise bench provides high-quality upper and lower body workouts in the comfort of your home.
- SMART WORKOUT APP - Experience connected fitness with this home gym equipment with the müüv app. With smart guided coaching, exercise demo videos, personalized workouts, assembly videos, and more, müüv provides the best workout and fitness experience with your Stamina Bench.
Garage Gym Power's Takeaway
The Stamina X Hyper Bench is an excellent roman chair that can be adjusted to your height and weight. The footrests are adjustable, as well as the seat pad for increased comfort – some men did find it a bit uncomfortable, but for women, it works perfectly. This bench also folds up so that you can store it easily in a tight space when not using it. If you’re looking for a roman chair with all the bells and whistles, the Stamina X Hyper Bench is the one for you. It’s also our Editor’s Choice for roman chairs because it’s great value for the money, and ticks all the boxes for the majority of people looking for a roman chair.
Pros and cons for Stamina X Hyper Bench
- Folds up to stow away.
- Adjustable footrest.
- Non-slip rubber cap frame
- The hip pad has no gap and can be uncomfortable for men.
What you need to know about the Stamina X Hyper Bench
The X Hyper Bench is the perfect tool for adding extra weight and intensity to your workouts. With a weight capacity of 300 lbs, this bench can accommodate most users. The adjustable foot and backrest make it easy to find the perfect position for you, while the pivoting foam rollers provide extra comfort. The non-slip footrest ensures that you stay in place, while the foldable frame makes it easy to store when not in use. Plus, the X Hyper Bench comes with the müüv app, which provides personalized audio coaching for a more effective workout.
This budget price 45 degree Roman Bench is a good addition to your home or garage gym. It folds up so you can store it out of the way if you are tight on space, the rear roller pad is adjustable, and it has an attractive red enamel finish.
- Dimensions: 24 x 16 x 5 inches
- Weight Limit: 250 lbs
CAP Strength Roman Chair- Comfortable and Affordable Roman Chair
If you’re looking for a sturdy yet affordable roman chair, the CAP Strength Roman Chair is a great choice. It’s been Amazon’s Choice for roman chairs for a reason – its robust steel construction makes it durable and great for GHD, sit-ups, and hip back extensions. Plus, it comes with two sets of ankle rollers for added support.
- Robust steel construction
- Great for GHD, Sit Up, Hip Back Extension
- Two sets of ankle rollers for added support
- Steel construction Roman Chair
- Perfect for home use
- 300-pound max capacity
- Great for GHD, Sit Up, Hip Back Extension
Garage Gym Power's Takeaway
The CAP Strength Roman Chair is the roman chair for anybody looking to increase their back strength and core stability. With 300 lbs weight capacity, 2 sets of ankle rollers, a gap in the hip pad for the pelvic area, this roman chair features a variety of tools that can be used by different fitness levels without sacrificing any comfort or safety. The only drawback is that the ankle pads are adjustable, but can’t be brought closer together. If you are a heavier or larger person, you might want to opt for a more premium model, but overall, this roman chair offers great value for the price and is the perfect choice for almost anyone looking for such a piece of equipment.
Pros and cons for CAP Strength Roman Chair
- 300 lbs weight capacity.
- 2 sets of ankle rollers.
- Gap in the hip pad for the pelvic area.
- The ankle pads are adjustable, but you can not move them closer together.
What you need to know about the CAP Strength Roman Chair
The CAP Strength Roman Chair is perfect for home use! It’s constructed with steel tubing and has comfortable foam padding, so you can easily achieve your fitness goals. This roman chair is also great for GHD exercises, sit-ups, and hip extensions. Plus, it has a weight capacity of 300 lbs., making it the ideal choice for most users. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced fitness enthusiast, the CAP Strength Roman Chair is a great addition to any home gym.
People who have used it say that it is a high-quality product that is perfect for adding definition to their lower back and hamstrings. They also appreciate the comfortable padding and easy-to-use adjustments.
- Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
- Dimensions: 56"D x 29"W x 43"H
Sunny Health & Fitness SF-BH6629- Best Cheap 45 Degree Hyperextension Bench
The SF-BH6629 is Amazon’s Choice in Strength Training Upper Body Machines, and for good reason. It will maximize glute and hamstring muscle activation, which allows for more stabilized movements while targeting back muscles and protecting the spine, while being one of the cheapest product on our list.
- Targets the lower back, hip and glutes.
- Foldable for easy storage
- Adjustable for different heights
- STURDY BUILD: This back extension machine features a sleek and sturdy compact steel frame design for home, allowing a maximum weight capacity 250 lbs. This hyperextension bench is strong, durable, and will not tip over when you are training.
- MULTI PURPOSE WORKOUT: The workout bench targets the lower back, hip, glutes and hamstrings. It is perfect to reduce body shape, burn fat, and strength training. This is a great device for multi purpose workout at home or in the gym.
- STABLE & SAFE: Stabilizers help create balance, even on uneven floors! Exercise more intensely without worrying about rocking/tilting. Help prevent calluses with non-slip handlebars. Padded and slip free to provide extra safety and ease.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: This training bench is designed to make even the hardest and intensive workouts comfortable. Soft, supple, and cushioned padding supports your body as you lean into your bends, twists, sit ups, and hyperextensions.
- HEIGHT-ADJUSTABLE: Our Sunny gym bench can be adjustable for different height requirements, allowing you to change up your workouts and add variety to your strength and training routines.
Garage Gym Power's Takeaway
This bench can hold up to 250 lbs and has adjustable height settings to ensure that anyone can use it. Additionally, the high density foam hip support pads and leg rollers make this product comfortable and easy to use. The only downside to this product is that it might be too short for people taller than 5’7″. Otherwise, the Sunny Health & Fitness SF-BH6629 Roman Chair is a great option for anyone looking for an affordable and comfortable hyper extension bench.
Pros and cons for Sunny Health & Fitness SF-BH6629
- Split hip pad to accommodate pelvic region.
- Adjustable ankle pad height.
- Under 100 dollars.
- Might be to short for people taller than 5'7"
What you need to know about the SF-BH6629
The Sunny Health & Fitness SF-BH6629 is a compact roman chair that delivers an intense lower body workout. It targets the Glutes, hips, and lower back and is quite comfortable to use thanks to its high density foam hip support pads and leg rollers. This product is adjustable to different height requirements and can accommodate users up to 250 LB. It’s a great value for the price, and folds up easily for storage and portability.
Most people who have bought and used it like it. According to Amazon, it has a 4.3 out of 5 star rating, with 82% of users awarding it 5 stars. Google users have given it an average rating of 4.5 out of 5, with 79% of users awarding it 5 stars. That speaks volumes about it’s quality.
- Weight Capacity: 250 lbs
- Item Weight: 23 lbs
- Dimensions: 39 x 24 x 33 inches
ROGUE PRO OBLIQUE FLEXOR- Best Roman Chair for Obliques
This unique machine isolates your side abdominals for an intense workout. With a 20″ wide treaded-steel foot plate and a V-shaped pair of waist pads, this machine is perfect for athletes who are looking to take their ab workouts to the next level.
- Unique, angled design
- Fastened to fully adjustable 2x2" steel tube
- 4" tall mounted heel catch for extra safety
Garage Gym Power's Takeaway
Most people don’t think about their oblique muscles when they work out, but the PRO OBLIQUE FLEXOR is made to specifically target them. You can use this great piece of equipment for a variety of core exercises that will help you tone your waist and strengthen those hard-to-reach oblique muscles in just minutes a day. Plus, the thick padding on the waist pad ensures that you’ll be comfortable while you work out. However, some people didn’t like the shape of the pads, so keep that in mind if you’re thinking about purchasing this product. In conclusion, the ROGUE PRO OBLIQUE FLEXOR is a great roman chair for anyone looking to target not only their back muscles and abbs but also their oblique muscles and get a more toned waist.
Pros and cons for ROGUE PRO OBLIQUE FLEXOR
- Adjustable Waist Pad
- Can be used for a variety of core exercises
- Thick padding for more comfort
- some people didn't like the shape of the pads
What you need to know about the ROGUE PRO OBLIQUE FLEXOR
If you’re looking for a quality machine to help you work your oblique muscles, but that can also be used for back extensions, targeting the lower back muscles, the Rogue Pro Oblique Flexor is a great choice. Its unique, angled design and wide treaded-steel foot plate provide a stable base that isolates the oblique muscles and conforms to your height. The fastened waist pads provide a secure cradle, while the 4″ tall heel catch ensures extra safety. The base is also equipped with holes for band work and load bearing rubber feet to protect your gym’s flooring. It’s a bit more expensive than other product on our list, but it is a better quality machine than similar products and will last you a lifetime.
Customers have given it 4.8 out of 5 stars on the Rogue Fitness website. Many people say that this product is great because it helps them achieve their fitness goals without spending hours at the gym. Most praise it for it’s stability and versatility. Overall it’s a great addition to any home gym.
- Product Weight: 105 lbs
- Dimensions: 56" x 27" x 27" - 35.5"
What is a Roman Chair?
There are actually several different exercise machines that people might call Roman chairs.
The machine most often referred to as a Roman chair is the Back hyperextension machine.
This machine comes in a 90 degree or 45 degree version.
- The 90 degree Roman chair has you lie in a flat horizontal position and allows for greater back flexion. It is suitable for athletes who are intermediate to advanced, who already has ore strength and balance, and want to build the back, glute and spine flexors.
- The 45 degree machine is a good machine to start with. It can also be used by people with back pain, to alleviate pain and stretch the spine. It is easier to get on and off, and does not require as much balance or strength.
In my reviews, I highlight both types.
Roman Chair Hyperextension vs. GHD Glute Ham Developer, What is the Difference?
A Roman chair and a GHD are different.
What the GHD or Glute Ham Developer Does
- Develops the hamstrings, because the way your weight is loaded on the machine places some of the load on the hamstrings.
- Builds strong glutes and hamstrings.
What the Roman Chair Does
- Load is placed on the lower back, glutes and spinal erectors, strengthening those muscles in the posterior chain.
- Lower back and glutes work together to lift the torso, developing back and glute muscles.
- Allows for deep spinal flexion that placed load on the spinal flexors thereby strengthening them.
How You Can Use a Roman Chair or Hyperextension Bench to Exercise
Using the Roman chair to build strong Glutes
Robyn shows us how to use the Roman chair to build the glutes. She uses the back hyperextension along with an isometric hold in a horizontal position to strengthen the lower back and glutes.
9 Roman Chair Exercises and the Muscles They Target
This video shows you how you can use the 45 degree roman chair to target oblique’s, chest, Biceps, spine erector and more. See how versatile a Roman chair can be.
Roman Chair Exercises that Alleviate Lower Back Pain
The Roman Chair is a good tool for those suffering from back pain. They can be used for low to mid back pain.
How do they help?
Roman chairs strengthen the core, lower back, glutes and lumbar erectors. Strengthening these muscles goes a long way to alleviating back pain.
Avoid doing weighted back extensions. The lumbar erectors are designed to lift your weight, not extra weight from a plate or barbell. I am sure you have heard you should “always lift with your legs”, and this saying applies here insofar as it means you should not use your back muscles to lift heavy weight.
Do not round the spine, keep it in a straight line, or you may end up causing more back pain.
Roman chair Demonstration
Marci demonstrates how to use the Roman chair for bake tensions and inversion hanging to stretch the spine.
She also shows how to gracefully get on and off of the machine because some of these Roman chairs can be tall and hard to get in and out of.
What to Look for before Buying a Roman Chair
Gap in the Hip Pad
Including a gap in the hip pad is especially important for men because it allows space for the pelvic area to lie flat so you can perform exercise comfortably.
The number one complaint against Roman Chairs is of these that have no gap in the hip pad.
Adjustable Ankle Pad and Adjustable Length
People come in different shapes and sizes. No surprise there. Some people are tall with short torsos. Others are short with long torsos. Others have meaty calves, while others have slender legs.
This is why the ability to adjust the Roman chair is necessary.
To work the right muscles without causing muscle fatigue and injury, you must be in the correct position and use good form. You can not do this if the machine does not adjust to your length and shape.
A Roman chair that feels solid stable and secure encourages you to use it more.
If the chair feels wobbly, like it may not hold your weight, you won’t be inclined to use it, making it a waste of money.
Look for a Roman chair that is built solid, with a wide base.
Previously Highlighted Products - Now Discontinued
Below, you’ll find products that we reviewed and highlighted in the past, but are now discontinued. We were unable to find dealers that still sell them, but have kept them in the article because the information could still benefit you as a reader.