Are you looking for a way to strengthen your back and spine and create strong, defined glutes and lower back?
You can have a strong lower back, glutes and spine if you consistently use a Roman chair in your gym routine.
I am going to run through the basics of a Roman chair, what they are, how they work, and how to choose the best roman chair for you. I will wrap it up with 11 reviews of the top rated Roman chairs.
- What is a Roman Chair?
- Roman Chair Hyperextension vs. GHD Glute Ham Developer, What is the Difference?
- How You Can Use a Roman Chair or Hyperextension Bench to Exercise
- Roman Chair Exercises that Alleviate Lower Back Pain
- What to Look for before Buying a Roman Chair
- Top 11 Best Roman Chair Reviews 2021
- Marcy Adjustable Hyperextension Roman Chair
- Body-Solid GRCH322 Roman Chair
- Powerline Roman Chair/Back Hyperextension
- CAP Strength Roman Chair
- Stamina Hyper Bench
- Bodycraft F670 Hyper-Extension/Roman Chair
- XMark Roman Chair
- GUJJI FUN Hyperextension Bench Adjustable 45 Degree
- Sunny Health & Fitness SF-BH6503 Roman Chair
- XMark 45 Degree Ab Back Hyperextension Roman Chair
- Goplus Adjustable Roman Chair
What is a Roman Chair?
There are actually several different exercise machines that people might call Roman chairs.
The machine most often referred to as a Roman chair is the Back hyperextension machine.
This machine comes in a 90 degree or 45 degree version.
- The 90 degree Roman chair has you lie in a flat horizontal position and allows for greater back flexion. It is suitable for athletes who are intermediate to advanced, who already has ore strength and balance, and want to build the back, glute and spine flexors.
- The 45 degree machine is a good machine to start with. It can also be used by people with back pain, to alleviate pain and stretch the spine. It is easier to get on and off, and does not require as much balance or strength.
In my reviews below, I highlight both types.
Roman Chair Hyperextension vs. GHD Glute Ham Developer, What is the Difference?
A Roman chair and a GHD are different.
What the GHD or Glute Ham Developer Does
- Develops the hamstrings, because the way your weight is loaded on the machine places some of the load on the hamstrings.
- Builds strong glutes and hamstrings.
What the Roman Chair Does
- Load is placed on the lower back, glutes and spinal erectors, strengthening those muscles in the posterior chain.
- Lower back and glutes work together to lift the torso, developing back and glute muscles.
- Allows for deep spinal flexion that placed load on the spinal flexors thereby strengthening them.
How You Can Use a Roman Chair or Hyperextension Bench to Exercise
Using the Roman chair to build strong Glutes
Robyn shows us how to use the Roman chair to build the glutes. She uses the back hyperextension along with an isometric hold in a horizontal position to strengthen the lower back and glutes.
9 Roman Chair Exercises and the Muscles They Target
This video shows you how you can use the 45 degree roman chair to target oblique’s, chest, Biceps, spine erector and more. See how versatile a Roman chair can be.
Roman Chair Exercises that Alleviate Lower Back Pain
The Roman Chair is a good tool for those suffering from back pain. They can be used for low to mid back pain.
How do they help?
Roman chairs strengthen the core, lower back, glutes and lumbar erectors. Strengthening these muscles goes a long way to alleviating back pain.
Roman chair Demonstration
Marci demonstrates how to use the Roman chair for bake tensions and inversion hanging to stretch the spine.
She also shows how to gracefully get on and off of the machine because some of these Roman chairs can be tall and hard to get in and out of.
What to Look for before Buying a Roman Chair
Gap in the Hip Pad
Including a gap in the hip pad is especially important for men because it allows space for the pelvic area to lie flat so you can perform exercise comfortably.
The number one complaint against Roman Chairs is of these that have no gap in the hip pad.
Adjustable Ankle Pad and Adjustable Length
People come in different shapes and sizes. No surprise there. Some people are tall with short torsos. Others are short with long torsos. Others have meaty calves, while others have slender legs.
This is why the ability to adjust the Roman chair is necessary.
To work the right muscles without causing muscle fatigue and injury, you must be in the correct position and use good form. You can not do this if the machine does not adjust to your length and shape.
A Roman chair that feels solid stable and secure encourages you to use it more.
If the chair feels wobbly, like it may not hold your weight, you won’t be inclined to use it, making it a waste of money.
Look for a Roman chair that is built solid, with a wide base.
Top 11 Best Roman Chair Reviews 2021
That wraps up the top 11 best roman chairs.
If you want to see reviews of the similar but not quite the same GHD Glute Ham Developers, click here for our list of the top 5.
- 15 Best Massage Guns – November 2020 Review & Buyers Guide - November 22, 2020
- 10 Best Pilates Balls 2021 - November 17, 2020
- 9 Best CrossFit Packages & Bundles to Level Up Your Home or Garage Gym 2021 - June 25, 2020