TOP 21 Best Workout and Sports Headphones Reviewed [Updated 2023]
If music is your favorite workout buddy, your headphones will be a pretty important part of your gym gear.
But, as with everything these days, there are so many on the market with so many different features, it can be hard to know where to start.
This article will list the top 21 sports headphones available this year and go over the essentials to help you choose the best sports headphones for your workouts.
TOP 21 Best Workout Headphones Reviewed 2023
- TOP 21 Best Workout Headphones Reviewed 2023
- Apple AirPods Wireless Bluetooth Headset
- BlueAnt - Pump Soul Wireless HD Headphones
- SOUL Electronics X-TRA Performance Headphones
- Skullcandy Crusher Headphones
- Bose SoundSport Wireless Headphones
- Mpow Cheetah Bluetooth Headphones
- Anker SoundBuds Curve Wireless Headphones
- CB3 Fit Sport Wireless Earbuds Headphones
- Sennheiser HD 4.40 Bluetooth Wireless Headphones
- MX10 Bluetooth iPhone Headphones
- AfterShockz Trekz Air Bone Conduction Headphones
- Jaybird X4 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
- Jabra Elite 65T True Wireless Headphones
- Bose SoundSport Free Truly Wireless Headphones
- Acil Bluetooth Noise Canceling Headphones
- Optoma NuForce BE Sport4 Earphones
- Rovking Running Headphones
- Koss KSC32M Fitclips Headphones
- WRZ S8 Bluetooth Headphones
- Phaiser BHS-530 Bluetooth Headphones
- SENSO Bluetooth Headphones
- Sport and Workout Headphones vs Other Headphone Styles
- What to Look for before Choosing the Best Headphones for Working Out
Apple AirPods Wireless Bluetooth Headset
- Amazingly easy to use, Air Pods combine intelligent design with breakthrough technology and crystal clear sound.
- Get up to 5 hours of listening time on one charge.
- Or up to 3 hours with just a 15-minute charge in the charging case.
Review: While I realize these Apple airpod headphones are not advertised as “workout headphones” we include them for two reasons. 1. Battery life. 2. Connectivity. Simply, they have superior technology.
- Award Star: Best truly wireless headphones
- Battery Life: 5 hours per charge
- Technology: Apple products only. Wireless Bluetooth
- Style: Truly wireless, “free” No cables of any kind ear buds
- I ear sensors, music plays only when in ear.
- Case doubles as charger Case hold 24 hrs worth of charge and can charge the airpods in 15 minutes.
- Due to the exclusive W1 Chip, these have superior connectivity, unlike other earphones of this style.
- Complete freedom, no wires, cables, nothing holding you back.
- May fall out if you sweat a lot.
- They look weird to some people.
Liberate your workout with truly wireless headphones.
Still not convinced?
This guy tried them in the gym and he loves them
BlueAnt - Pump Soul Wireless HD Headphones
Review: This brand from ‘down under’ has a budget price that is as light on the wallet as the headphones are to wear.
Designed with ultra-light plastics and aluminum, they are durable and lightweight.
- Award Star: Best Bluetooth workout headphones
- Battery Life: 24 hours
- Technology: Bluetooth 4.1
- Style: Over the ear wireless
- Powers off when not connected to your phone to save power.
- Sweat proof, anti-microbial, breathable ear cups.
- Light weight plastic and aluminum construction.
- Deep bass HD audio.
- One touch controls.
- Google + Siri integration.
- Ear cups are not removable.
The snug fit, booming bass and great price will motivate you to power through your workout. The best Bluetooth workout headphones we found.
SOUL Electronics X-TRA Performance Headphones
- SIGNATURE SOUND QUALITY - advanced HD drivers and circuitry design for a balanced bass and clear midst and highs. It means music and movies are presented with exceptional clarity and delicate balance. Connectivity Technology: Wireless
- LIGHTWEIGHT & TO STAY ON - ergonomic design, to stay on even during your toughest workout. Breathable headband designed for maximum breathability and coolness
- DUAL MODE LED LIGHTS TO KEEP YOU SAFE IN THE DARK - turn on the LED lights when you are running or exercise in the dark. Still and flashing modes.
- REMOVABLE AND WASHABLE EAR PADS - made with breathable sports material for moisture Wicking and washable function. Lightweight, Sweat proof, and removable
- EXTENDED PLAYTIME WITH FAST CHARGE - up to 24-hour of playtime (LED lights off), Up to 8hours when the safety (LED light on) and fast charge support with 150-min of playtime in 15-min
Review: These Soul X-tra Headphones were specifically designed for the gym, with removable ear cups, you can clean, breathable synthetic materials that dry quickly and won’t stink, wireless connectivity so you are not tied down by cable and fast charge so you are not waiting around for them to be ready.
- Award Star: Best Wireless headphones for working out
- Battery Life: 24 hours
- Technology: Wireless Bluetooth
- Style: Over the ear wireless headphones
- Removable and washable ear pads.
- Built-in LED lights help others see you in the dark, an innovative safety feature.
- Rapid charging.
- Breathable headband and sweat proof cups.
- Snug comfortable fit – stays on during upright moves like running and standing exercises.
- Excellent sound quality.
- May slide during bench work or exercises done lying down.
One of the only over the ear styles we recommend for running due to the LEDs and good fit in an upright position.
Skullcandy Crusher Headphones
- Sensation55 Driver - The Sensation55 is Skullcandy's patent-pending bass extension driver. Through this driver, the Crusher delivers a powerful and realistic bass experience that transforms your audio into bass you can feel. Connectivity Technology: Wired
- REX40 Driver - The REX40 is designed from the ground up by their world-class audio engineering team and delivers an extremely smooth frequency response with minimal distortion - tuned for your playlist.
- Acoustical Porting - Within the construction of the ear cup, our specially designed acoustical porting allows both drivers to move freely, increasing the bass and reducing distortion.
- Built-in amplifier - No more bulky in-line amplifier. The new Crusher draws its power from a premium battery (AA) powered amp hidden in the ear cup.
- Adjustable Bass Control - The bass sensation slider on the left ear cup allows you to adjust the sensation levels to your preference or playlist.
Review: These Skullcandy Crushes have a low profile relative to other over the ear headphones.
These headphones crush it with adjustable bass, and pump out sound that will motivate you to power through your workout routine.
- Award Star: Best over the ear workout headphones
- Battery Life: 40 hour
- Technology: Wireless
- Style: Over the ear. Ear cup.
- Cups are removable and replaceable faux leather material which is washable.
- Superior bass sound.
- Light weight and snug fit.
- Massive 40 hour battery life.
- The fake leather can feel sweaty, but they are washable and replaceable.
For an immersive music experience to muscle you through your gym routine without recharging the battery for a week, these headphones deliver.
Our favorite and the best over the ear workout headphones 2023.
Bose SoundSport Wireless Headphones
- Note : If the size of the earbud tips does not match the size of your ear canals or the headset is not worn properly in your ears, you may not obtain the correct sound qualities or call performance. Change the earbud tips to ones that fit more snugly in your ears
Review: These wireless headphones have some of the best sound quality on the market.
That together with how well they stay comfortably put in your ears makes them a workout winner.
- Award Star: Best Wireless headphones for running
- Battery Life: 6 hours
- Technology: Bluetooth Wireless
- Style: In-ear headphones with a wire that connects the two and runs behind the neck
- IPX Rating: IPX4
- StayHear+ sports tips hold the earbud in your ear with a soft silicone umbrella shaped tip that creates a gentle seal.
- 3 tip sizes included with these earbuds.
- Excellent BOSE quality sound.
- Sweat and weather resistant.
- The buttons are big, don’t “click” when pressed, and the tactile feel and experience needs improvement.
Easily the best headphones for running due to how well they stay in place.
Mpow Cheetah Bluetooth Headphones
Review: These Mpow Cheetah headphones are excellent for running and the gym because not only do they fit in the ear, they have ear hooks that secure them even further, so they won’t move when you do.
- Award Star: Best Wireless headphones for running under 30 dollars
- Battery Life: 8 hours
- Technology: Wireless 4.1 Bluetooth
- Style: In-ear wireless with a behind the neck cable connecting the buds
- IPX Rating: IPX 4 (From the 4th generation)
- All buttons are on the right side (OK, not a pro for lefties).
- Over ear hooks, secure the headphones extremely well.
- Sweat and weatherproof, perfect for puddle jumping in the rain.
- Nano coated circuit board offers great water resistance.
- Excellent budget price, buy a spare to keep in the car or gym bag.
- The microphone is not fantastic so call quality is just OK. But you are not at the gym to make phone calls, right?
Run like a Cheetah or lift like a beast without being weight down by bulky headphones. Best wireless workout headphones for the in-ear style.
Anker SoundBuds Curve Wireless Headphones
- rich treble and thumping bass: sound buds curve bluetooth earbuds are powered by 10 mm composite drivers. the ultra-elastic outer ring produces deep bass and a lightweight and flexible composite bio-cellulose dome delivers midst and highs with enhanced clarity.
- up to 43% more bass: our exclusive bassup technology conducts real-time analysis of low frequencies to instantly strengthen the bass output. feel the bass as it surges through your body and pumps you up for the workout ahead.
- hardcore playtime: 18 hours of listening (at 80% volume) gives you the power and motivation needed to fuel over two weeks of workouts. when you’re in a rush, a 10-minute charge will provide you with up to 3 hours of continuous playtime.
- ipx7 waterproof: sound buds curve bluetooth earbuds are defended by a fully waterproof casing that’s based on a submarine’s structure. push yourself during your workout without fear of sweat and rain damaging your earphones. you can even rinse them with water when cleaning.
- secure and comfortable fit: the bluetooth earbuds are ergonomically designed and come with ear tips and ear wings in various sizes to tailor the fit to you.
Review: These ear bud style headphones work for those with small ears.
- Award Star: Best running headphones for small ears
- Battery Life: 12.5 hours
- Technology: Wireless Bluetooth 4.1
- Style: In-ear buds with behind the neck wire
- IPX Rating: IPX 4 Splashproof
- Behind the neck wire is adjustable.
- Sweat and weatherproof.
- 4 different size earbuds included, plus, wing tips and hooks. Lots of variability and choice to get the right fit for you.
- Nice zippered case with carabineer and mesh pocket. Well done Anker!
- Ear hook is built into the earbud so they stay secure.
- Budget price.
- Great battery life for this style headphone.
- Bass is overpowering.
If you have small ears and a small budget, and appreciate the details, this is the best running headphones for small ears we found.
CB3 Fit Sport Wireless Earbuds Headphones
Review: These headphones by CB3 Audio provide some of the best value for money for sports headphones on the market right now. They fit well, provide excellent sound quality and are a popular choice for runners.
- Award Star: Best in-ear sports headphones for sound quality
- Battery Life: 7 hrs
- Technology: Wireless Bluetooth 4.1
- Style: In earbuds with ear hooks and a behind the neck wire connecting the two buds
- IPX Rating: IPX4 Splashproof
- Sweat and weather resistant.
- Three earbud sizes included, medium size installed.
- Led light and sound prompts let you know you are connected.
- Good bass level, impressive sound quality.
- No way to adjust the behind the neck cord.
If sound quality is important to you, these earbuds offer that. One of the best wireless workout headphones in sound quality for lower end earbud style headphones.
Sennheiser HD 4.40 Bluetooth Wireless Headphones
- Bluetooth 4.0 and aptX technologies to deliver exceptional wireless sound quality
- Intuitive ear cup mounted controls for changing tracks and for making calls via the integrated microphone
- Up to 25 hour battery life and is supplied with connecting cable for battery free listening
- Compatible with most smartphones & tablets. Height: 7.8 inch / 19.8 centimeter
- Product Dimensions: 7.1 x 3.9 x 10.2 inches. Connectivity Technology: Wireless; Battery Type: Li ion Polymer Battery
Review: These super light over the ear headphones are good for the gym because they fit snugly and have a low profile so they stay out of the way while you are lifting and working out.
- Award Star: Best headphones for weightlifters
- Battery Life: 25 hour
- Technology: Bluetooth 4.0
- Style: Over the ear, ear cup wireless
- Sennheiser quality audio, excellent midtones, good bass.
- Snug secure fit.
- The leatherette ear cups hold up well to sweat and perspiration.
- Low profile.
- The ear openings are on the small side.
For the best sound at the gym or on a run, these Sennheiser headphones cannot be beaten. The best wireless workout headphones in terms of sound quality.
MX10 Bluetooth iPhone Headphones
- ✅ NEVER FALL OUT - This iPhone Sports Wireless Ear Buds Helps you Feel what a Real Freedom is - Run free, forget you're wearing headphones, feel the beats with the Extreme Sound and run with the wind! Words can't describe it, you gotta just feel it. Turn on the sound and push yourself to the max! MultiTed audifonos / auriculares bluetooth: great sound, great value.
- ✅ CLEAR HD SOUND - Imagine yourself running with your feet not even touching the ground... music in your ears and flying high... Besides clear and deep sound, high power athletes look for comfortable, secure fitting and sweat-proof cordless headphones.. MultiTed Earphones are designed to fit your most essential needs, unsettling sound, best fit, IPX7 waterproof protection and long-lasting durability. You also enjoy a zipper case, 2 sizes of foams and 3 sizes of earbuds.
- ✅ STRONGER BATTERY WITH UP TO 10+ HOURS PLAY-TIME - You’re not a quitter, and your best workout headphones shouldn’t be either. With ultra-long battery life, you get plenty of playback time. The CVC 6.0 noise cancelling and the built-in mic makes it easy for you to take work calls anywhere, anytime. Stay in touch without staying in the office! Pairing with your devices is instantaneous - and you also can pair 2 separate devices.
- ✅ ADVANCED BLUETOOTH - MORE FAST & STABLE CONNECTIVITY - The MX10 Blue tooth headset has Faster & More Stable Signal Transmission, Clearer Sound Quality, and Lower Power Consumption. The earpods are compatible with Apple iPhone X, XR, WS / 8, 8 plus / 7, 7 plus / 6, 6s, 6 plus, Mac, MacBook, PC, Android and Samsung smart phones, MP3 players and All Bluetooth Devices.
- ✅ ZERO RISK - YOU HAVE A FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY - we will Always be there if You need us. Just email us and let us know. We are committed to customer satisfaction and will do whatever it takes to keep you thrilled. Our exclusive accessories kit includes the MX10 Bluetooth iPhone headphones, instructions, 3 sizes of ear tips, 2 sizes of foams, a USB charger and a stylish zip pouch with a keychain for traveling.
Review: These headphones are designed to stay in place no matter how hard and fast you workout while being really affordable.
- Award Star: Best budget noise cancelling headphones
- Battery Life: 10 hours
- Technology: Bluetooth v4.2
- Style: In-ear buds with over-ear hooks and behind the neck cable
- IPX Rating: IPX 7
- Decent base.
- Comes with 3 sizes of silicon tips and 2 noise canceling foam tips.
- Comfortable and stay in the ear well when running.
- Come gift wrapped making them a great gift idea.
- Compatible with any Bluetooth device.
- Sound quality isn’t as top notch as higher end headphones.
These are great headphones if you’re looking for a budget option that stay in your ears while you’re on the move and cancel out background noise.
AfterShockz Trekz Air Bone Conduction Headphones
- Open-Ear Design - Patented bone conduction technology delivers premium audio through the cheekbone, keeping you connected and aware of your surroundings.
- Multifunction Button - Easy controls to play, pause, skip, activate voice assistant, and answer calls.
- Sweatproof & Durable - IP55 certified to repel sweat, dust, and moisture. Perfect for withstanding even the rainiest runs.
- 6-Hour Battery Life - 6 hours of continuous music and calls on a single charge.
- Exclusive Safety Pack - Includes Air wireless bone conduction headphones and a pack of Brilliant Reflective Strips to ensure you stay aware and safe.
Review: These headphones use some pretty new and exciting technology delivering the sound through vibrations in your cheekbone allowing you to hear your music while not blocking out background noise.
- Award Star: Best bone conduction headphones
- Battery Life: 6 hours
- Technology: Bluetooth v4.2
- Style: Bone conduction headphones with a band that wraps around your head
- You can hear your music but no one else can, even though there’s nothing blocking your ears!
- Light weight wrap around headphones stay in place securely while exercising.
- Very comfortable – you might even forget you’re wearing them!
- Comes with reflective visibility strips for safety at night.
- Not designed for heavy bass.
- Limited control when wanting to skip tracks.
These are the best headphones for wearing at the gym if you need to be able to talk to people but want to listen to music at the same time, and they’re also the safest and most comfortable option for running outside.
Jaybird X4 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
- 8 HOURS OF PLAY TIME Rechargeable battery provides 8 hours of bluetooth wireless play time on a 2 hour charge. Wireless range: Class 2 standard range 10m/33ft
- SWEAT & WATERPROOF IPX7 protection for gym and fitness workouts and running in all weather conditions
- SPORT FIT PLUS Comfortable headphone design runs over your ears for a secure sport fit or under for more relaxed situations
- COMFORTABLE FIT Interchangeable Comply Ultra thermo-reactive tips provide enhanced durability rich sound and conform to individual ear canals for a comfortable secure fit
- PREMIUM SOUND The Jaybird app provides Custom EQ allows athletes to customize sound EQ and save personal settings to the buds
Review: These headphones are designed with serious outdoor activity in mind.
Their comfortable secure fit combined with IPX 7 waterproofing makes them a durable and reliable option for trail running in the rain.
- Award Star: Best headphones for running in the rain
- Battery Life: 8 hours
- Technology: Bluetooth v4.1
- Style: In-ear buds with wing tips and wrap around cord
- IPX Rating: IPX 7
- Includes fast charge feature bringing a 1 hour charge time down to 10 minutes.
- Can be worn with the head cord going either over or under the ear depending on which style suits you better.
- Comply with ultra foam tips or silicon tips and wings.
- Excellent quality sound.
- Sweat and waterproof.
- Some issues holding charge.
- Expensive for what you get.
These are a versatile pair of headphones with a secure fit, solid waterproofing and top quality sound.
Jabra Elite 65T True Wireless Headphones
- True wireless earbuds for an active lifestyle – Wherever your day takes you, whatever your activity, it won’t get in the way of enjoying sports, music and calls. The Elite Active 65t are secure fitting earbuds that provide dependable in-ear stability.Note : If the size of the earbud tips does not match the size of your ear canals or the headset is not worn properly in your ears, you may not obtain the correct sound qualities or call performance. Change the earbud tips to ones that fit more snugly in your ear
- Personalize your sound – Whether you’re using these as Apple earbuds, Samsung earbuds or more, you can listen to your music the way you want to hear it, by personalizing your sound on the Jabra Sound plus app. Earbuds are Apple and Android compatible.
- No audio dropouts – With Jabra’s 3rd generation true wireless stability, you can take calls and listen to music without worry about audio dropouts. And there are no pesky wires getting in the way of your workout
- Up to 15 hours of use – With up to 5 hours of battery on a single charge, and up to 15 hours in total with the included pocket-friendly charging case, your listening needs are met from the start of the day, to its end with these earbuds.
- Take work calls from home – Incredible 4-microphone technology offers best-in-class call performance, with up to 15 hours of battery for maximum productivity— even when you’re working or learning from home on your smartphone.
Review: These headphones compete with the Apple Airpods for the top spot of truly wireless headphones.
- Award Star: The best Wireless headphones for outdoors
- Battery Life: 5 hours
- Technology: Bluetooth 5.0
- Style: Truly Wireless
- IPX Rating: IP55 (Water and Dust)
- Voice command compatible with Alexa, Siri and Google.
- Noise cancellation and wind noise reduction.
- Phone call audio comes through both headphones instead of just one as is the case with many other brands.
- Good audio provided you figure out a good fit.
- Has a “hear-through” feature which can be turned on and off to allow you to hear background noise if you need to.
- Some connectivity issues for some users.
It is still early days for truly wireless technology, but these headphones have some excellent features which make them a great choice for outdoor exercising.
Bose SoundSport Free Truly Wireless Headphones
- TRULY wireless Sport headphones for total freedom of movement, packed full of technology that makes music sound clear and powerful
- Earbuds are sweat and weather resistant (with an Ipx4 rating) and come with 3 different pairs of Stay hear and Sport tips (in sizes S/M/L) that provide a comfortable and secure fit
- Up to 5 hours of play time with each charge and an additional 10 hours with the included charging case and also features a charging time of 2 hours
- Track lost earbuds with the Bose connect App's "find My buds" feature
- Firmware update to improve Audio video synchronization for customers using iPhones, iPads and other Bluetooth devices that support AVDTP version 1.3 or later, available via connect app. Connectivity Technology: Wireless Bluetooth
Review: If sound quality is your thing and you want to go the truly wireless route, these headphones could be worth considering, provided you don’t mind the hefty price tag.
- Award Star: The best truly Wireless headphones for sound quality
- Battery Life: 5 hrs
- Technology: Bluetooth v4.2
- Style: Truly Wireless
- IPX Rating: IPX 4
- Lost buds can be found with a “find my buds” app.
- Charging case provides 2 full charges when you’re out and about.
- Very comfortable.
- Easy to use controls.
- Fantastic sound quality.
- Only one ear bud functions in phone calls.
- Limited noise cancellation (but this can be a good thing when you need to hear some background noise for safety).
These truly wireless headphones are made with sound quality and working out in mind, staying in place through sweaty workouts and providing top quality audio.
Acil Bluetooth Noise Canceling Headphones
- 【98% Passive Noise Cancelling】 Built-in microphone with advanced noise cancelling tech. ACIL noise cancelling earbuds reduce 98% noise along with the super clear sound. One-second connect the Bluetooth, noise isolation achieved.
- 【Crystal-Clear HIFI Sound】 Power your passion in dynamic sound! ACIL Bluetooth headphones combines with great bass stereo and dual drivers could create a live concert with fantastic HIFI sound and crystal-clear volume. Optimized for high-resolution audio with the balanced armature of music performance.
- 【Sweat & Waterproof】Advanced Waterproof technology ensures our wireless sports earbuds be an ideal gym buds for workout. Just enjoy the immersive sound and superior comfort while running!
- 【11 Hours Playtime】Long-resistant battery used is a great choice for workout. These Bluetooth sports headphones are enough for a whole week. Impressive in-ear wireless Bluetooth earbuds for sport. A compact design Bluetooth earphone with astonishing 11-hour continuous playtime!
- 【Ergonomic Fit with Smart Magnetic】Enhanced with ultra 4 pairs of soft ear tips, these magnetic Bluetooth earbuds are comfortable wearing. Always one size for you to choose the most suitable fit as the secure wear even the intense workout. Ultra-secure ergonomic design for lock-in with the magnetic control. Awesome acil wireless Bluetooth earbuds fit for you!
Review: These headphones deserve more attention for their excellent performance to price ratio.
They are affordable and yet deliver top quality sound and a comfortable, reliable fit while working out.
- Award Star: The best ear buds for staying in your ears while you workout
- Battery Life: 12 hours
- Technology: Bluetooth v4.1
- Style: Wireless with a back of head cord
- IPX Rating: IPX 7
- A magnetic clasp lets you connect the earbuds around your neck when not in use.
- Lightweight and streamlined, not visibly sticking out of your ears.
- Extremely good sound quality for a mid-range price.
- Passive noise canceling is just enough to get good a listening experience without blocking everything out completely.
- Can be connected to 2 different devices at the same time.
- Not entirely as noise cancelling as they claim to be.
These headphones are very well designed for working out being sleek, streamlined and snug fitting with super comfortable liquid silicon ear buds that don’t need wings or hooks to stay in your ears.
Optoma NuForce BE Sport4 Earphones
- Sweat proof: IPX5 water resistance ensures you're ready for marathons, workouts, intense training sessions, hiking or snow activities without letting rain, snow, Mud or sweat INTERRUPT your playlist
- Audiophile-quality sound: graphene-coated drivers deliver crystal clear, audiophile sound while AAC and apt support maximize Audio quality for both Apple and Android devices
- 10 hours of non-stop listening: incredible battery life ensures 10 hours of music playback for non-stop music that endures your training and workouts
- Charge quickly: forget to charge? A quick 15-minute charge provides 2 hours of listening time
- Comfortable fit: SPINFIT twin blade ear tips provide maximum comfort, stability and secure fit while interchangeable silicone ear tips and ear wings personalize the fit even further
Review: If you can’t afford the high price point of the some of the models above but want something a little better than the budget options below, these headphones are a good compromising, providing good sound, great battery life and a comfortable secure fit that will cope with working out.
- Award Star: Good mid-range Wireless headphones
- Battery Life: 10 hours
- Technology: Bluetooth v4.1
- Style: Wireless with a cord that runs around the back of the head
- IPX Rating: IPX 5
- Charges quickly in 15 minutes.
- Second generation ear wings stay put regardless of the intensity of your workout.
- Very effective noise isolation.
- ACC + aptX support for maximum audio quality.
- Include a variety of ear tips for customizing the fit.
- The low battery warning is extremely loud and shocking.
A good mid-range option for people transitioning from budget options to Bluetooth headphones.
Rovking Running Headphones
- OVER EAR EARBUDS FOR SMALL EARS - The ear buds size are smaller than other earhook headphones. You don't have to stretch your ear to put earbuds in ears. They can fit in and over small-average sized ears with no pain. These running earbuds will stay put in ears without discomfort even during long runs. These sports headphones also come with 4 different sizes ear pieces to ensure a custom comfortable fit, sealing the ear to deliver bass and isolate noises.
- SECURE FIT SPORT HEADPHONES NEVER FALL OUT OF EARS WHILE WORKING OUT- Thanks to pliable over the ear loops and ergonomic ear bud design, these workout headphones fit comfortably and stay put in ears while running, jogging, weight lifting, exercising, walking and gym training. No need to stop your workout to adjust the ear buds any more.
- HANDS-FREE PHONE CALL AND MUSIC TRACK CONTROL DURING RUNNING - You can use the in-line button to answer/end phone calls. The microphone allows you to communiate hands free, so that you can keep on your exercise. There's a clip which will help you stabilize the set while doing different physical activities. You can also easily play/pause, skip music tracks through the remote button. No need to take out your phone from pocket or arm band any more.
- GOOD SOUND QUALITY FOR MUSIC AND PHONE CALLS - The sound of these sport earbuds is clear and crisp. They are good for listening to music during workouts, as well as listening to audio books or video during commute. Call quality and mic is good. You can hear the person on the other end clearly even on a noisy treadmill. It is fully compatible with cell phones, mp3, smartphone, laptop, computer, tablet, psp etc.
- SWEATPROOF EARBUDS FOR SPORT WORKOUTS - These workout earbuds are professionally designed for music listening requirement in sports, especailly for small ears. They should not fail or break even during intense workouts. These wired earbuds have a 3.5mm gold plated jack and are compatible with cell phones, tablets, MP3, laptop, computer, Android/Windows cell phones and others with 3.5mm audio jack (need ligtning adapter to work with lightning jack devices).
Review: If wireless headphones aren’t your thing, fear not, there are plenty of fantastic corded headphones just as suited to running and working out.
These headphones have all the features of great running headphone and for a seriously bargain price.
- Award Star: Best budget non-Wireless headphones
- Style: In-ear non-wireless earbuds
- Technology: Wired
- IPX Rating: IPX 5
- 4 sizes of ear tips and shirt clip to hold the cord out of the way.
- No concerns with connectivity or battery life.
- Hands-free control using the in-line microphone.
- Great noise-canceling capability.
- Will take some fiddling and experimentation to get a good secure fit.
These headphones are an insanely affordable pair of corded headphones with hands-free control and a clip to keep the cord out of the way.
Koss KSC32M Fitclips Headphones
- Ideal for women. Connectivity Technology: Wired
- Sweat resistant
- Ultra Lightweight
- Extreme Durability
Review: These ultra-lightweight headphones are ideal for running as their light weight and snug fitting design means they stay in place really easily.
They don’t have any fancy features, but if just music you want, music is what you get.
- Award Star: Best non-Wireless headphones for women
- Style: Corded in-ear buds with lightweight plastic over ear hook
- Technology: Wired
- Sweat resistant.
- Comfortable and stay put in your ear well while you run or work out.
- Extremely affordable.
- Good sound quality.
- No microphone.
These headphones prove that you don’t have to spend a lot of money to have a decent listening experience while you work out.
Three of the Best Cheap Workout Headphones
Sometimes a cheap pair of headphones make sense. Let’s be real here. You are buying a piece of electronics equipment you plan to sweat on.
It is a dubious proposition at best because electronics and water have a tumultuous past.
But that’s not all.
Small things get lost in big gyms, and out in the real world.
If you are going to ruin a piece of equipment with sweat or lose it because it is small (think sunglasses). It may as well be the Cheap version, right?
WRZ S8 Bluetooth Headphones
Review: I’m old school when it comes to music. To be honest, I’m not the biggest fan of Bluetooth headphones (possibly due to the fact that my 7-year-old mp3 player does not possess this feature). But for workouts, I don’t want to worry if my mp3 will keep falling out, so I ordered these headphones by WRZ.
You know how you see in movies the ripped guy/girl working out (with some hustle music in the background?) The sound and feel on these are THAT amazing!
It feels like you have nothing at all in your ears, while still having a good quality of sound.
- Award Star: Best cheap workout headphones
- Battery Life: 10 hours
- Technology: Bluetooth V5.0
- Style: in ear headphone with a small horn that helps with keeping the earbuds in, also there’s a wire that connects the two and runs behind the neck
- Come in a hard case to keep the lifespan of the earbuds longer.
- Different sizes of earbud tips for different ear sizes.
- Very comfortable, even for smaller ears.
- Rubber ear clips give you a better fit that stays in place while you move.
- The fit isn’t great for everyone. Extremely small ears might find this not their perfect match.
You have to stay realistic when buying such an affordable product – overall, I think they’re the perfect companion for an everyday runner, but don’t expect to have the sound quality of the large headphones that really block out all the noise.
Phaiser BHS-530 Bluetooth Headphones
- PLAY ALL DAY - Crisp Bluetooth HD Audio and 8-hour battery life will have you jamming from your morning commute until your evening workout.
- YOURS EARS, YOUR FIT - Multi-size EarTips and comfortable over ear hooks will keep your buds in place and your tunes pumping during even the most vigorous workouts.
- UNIVERSAL BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES - Connect to your iPhone, TV, laptop, Kindle, tablet, or other Bluetooth device
- LIGHT WEIGHT & HEAVY DUTY - The special Behind-The-Head wearing style holds your Ear buds in place during rigorous workouts. The flexible Memory-Wire adapts to the size of your head and helps provide a perfect seal for a better listening experience. <2 hour charge time.
- LIFETIME SWEATPROOF WARRANTY - Don’t be afraid to push your workouts to the max! We’ll replace your Earbuds if they ever get damaged by sweat! No questions asked.
- Award Star: Affordable headphones
- Battery Life: 11 hour
- Technology: Bluetooth 4.1 HD technology
- Style: In ear buds with behind the neck wire
- Three tip sizes included.
- Liquipel waterproof material and water safe technology.
- Comfy Memory foam tips.
- Over ear hook built in – these buds stay in place as you bike, blade, jerk and snatch.
- Good bass – not so much for the highs.
A solid budget priced in ear sports headphone that stay put and resist sweat. One of the best wireless workout headphones we found.
SENSO Bluetooth Headphones
- True HD high Fidelity sound featuring latest Bluetooth 4.1 CSR technology and state of the art acoustic components that produce incredible sound quality with deep bass and crystal clear treble.
- Comfortable and secure fit with IPX-7 waterproof rating - activbuds feature ergonomically designed flexible ear hooks with gel Flex silicone earbuds to ensure your headphones stay comfortably firm in place to guarantee fatigue free ears and tangle free comfort.
- Longest battery life - the new and improved Lithium polymer battery allows seamless enjoyment of music for up to 8 hours and 240 hours stand-by with a quick charge of only 1.5 hours.
- Bluetooth V4.1 wireless technology with CVC 6.0 noise suppression technology - connect seamlessly with all Bluetooth enabled devices up to 30 feet away. With noise suppression technology focus on your favorite music and answer calls without skips or missed words.
- 1 year warranty and bonus items - bonus accessories with 1-year Manufacturer's warranty and 30 days no-questions-asked return policy. Value for money guaranteed, buy the Senso activebuds worry free today.
Review: Easily one of the most popular headphones and probably the best cheap workout headphones available.
- Award Star: Best cheap waterproof headphones
- Battery Life: 8 Hours
- Technology: Bluetooth 4.1 CSR
- Style: In ear buds with behind the neck cable
- IPX Rating: IPX 7
- Sweet faux carbon fiber case, hard case with mesh pocket.
- Charging cable is flips to accommodate iPhone or Android.
- Includes USB Car Charging port plus an EXTRA charging cable.
- 3 earbud tip sizes.
- IPX 7 Waterproof rating, which means they can be submerged up to 1 meter for 30 minutes without being affected.
- Super soft ear hooks won’t hurt or be uncomfortable.
- Not great in the mid, and high tones, but has good bass.
The most waterproof, best workout headphones, with a kick-ass budget price to boot. Seriously. One user ran them through the washer and dryer on accident. They still work.
Sport and Workout Headphones vs Other Headphone Styles
What makes a sports headphone, well, sporty?
The best sports headphones have a few different characteristics compared to every day, around the house, on the train, or at work headphones.
Three Focus areas of the best sports headphones.
- Sweat Factor – Headphones used during a workout must be sweat and weather resistant because, well, you sweat when you exercise. If you don’t, maybe you are not doing it right.
- Stay Factor – They must not fall out, shift out of place, or pop off as you move. In other words, they cannot move while you do.
- Sporting Factor – They cannot get in your way as you work out. They ideally should be wireless and not get in your way, allowing you to move. The less you notice their presence, the better.
I will discuss these three factors, and more, in detail as we go over what to look for in the best workout headphones.
Let’s get to it!
What to Look for before Choosing the Best Headphones for Working Out
Over the ear – Ear muff or ear cup with a head band style. This style is best for sound quality and noise cancellation.
When you do not want everyone to hear what you are listening to, or you don’t want to be distracted by ambient noise (like the guy over there grunting as he lifts weights), this style is for you.
The over the ear style also has much longer battery life due to having more room for electronics inside.
In the Ear – Earbud style. These are low profile, super light, barely there, and a good choice for jarring movements, like jogging, running, and HIIT etc.
They are also great for those who like a super discreet listening option at the gym. Not everyone is comfortable wearing the more conspicuous over the ear style.
The trade-off is battery life. In-ear headphones won’t have as much battery life as larger over-ear styles.
Frayed cords, exposed wires, broken plastic pieces.
You want to avoid these hassles.
If you opt for over the ear headphones, look for aluminum and durable plastic construction. If you opt for the earbud style, check the reviews for the unit’s durability.
Most earbuds in earpieces are silicone and washable.
What you want to look for if you choose the over the ear style is removable cups. Sweating on to the faux leather and foam can lead to stinky ear cuffs if you cannot remove and wash them.
Water or Weatherproof
Blood, sweat and tears.
The things athletes are made of. Be sure your headphones can withstand all that your body and the weather might throw at them.
What is an IPX rating?
Some headphones are kind enough to brag about their IXP rating, which is ONLY helpful if you know what the heck IXP stand for.
I did not know, so I looked it up, so you don’t have to.
Very basically, the IPX rating refers to how well the item withstands water and dust.
The higher the rating the better.
In terms of water resistance, IPX 7 is the highest rating meaning that the item can be submerged in water up to 1 meter for thirty minutes.
To compare, a rating of IPX4 means the item can withstand water being splashed in any direction for up to 5 minutes.
In our reviews of the best Bluetooth workout headphones, we have listed the IPX rating, when available.
Note: Not all headphones have an IPX rating; even some of the best headphones for working out on the high end of the range do not feature an IPX rating.
This does not mean they are not water and dust resistant, it simply means they do not carry the specific IPX rating.
How well they fit
Are they comfortable? Look for soft ear hooks vs hard plastic hooks.
If they have a cord that runs behind the neck, is it soft and pliable, or hard? Does it snag the back of the neck? Will the cord adjust to fit snugly at the back of the neck?
If you are looking at over the ear sports headphones the best over the ear workout headphones have memory foam cups and ear openings big enough to fit your ears.
It is the little details like this that will make a difference in your user experience.
Do they Move?
You don’t want the headphones to move or shift.
For really intense workouts like CrossFit, this is going to be even more important as any movement will likely cause the earbuds to fall out.
For the over the ear style, look for a band that adjusts, ear cups that fit your ear shape, and enough tension in the band to hold the headphones to your head.
The weight of the headphones is important too.
Heavy over the ear headphones tend to move and shift more than light ones.
For the in-ear style, over the ear hooks are practically a must, they secure the buds in the ear and allow you to feel as if you are not wearing earphones at all.
You don’t need to worry about them falling out while jogging or doing pull-ups.
The best headphones for gym workout are the ones that you don’t have to think, fuss with, or worry about. They allow you to focus on your game instead of the headphones.
What Earbuds are Included?
Do they fit small, large, elf, ogre or whatever ear shape YOU have?
If you choose in-ear headphones, look for brands that offer several sizes and style tips so you can get a perfect in-ear fit.
Most offer three size tips, but some brands, like the Anker SoundBuds offer not only different sizes, but shapes and styles as well.
This is important, as getting earbuds to fit small ears can be especially hard.
Some sports headphones focus more on the sports side than the sound side. It is not necessarily a bad thing since you are using the headphones to workout.
But if sound is equally important to you, check these 4 characteristics before you buy.
If you like to bump it while hitting the gym, bass may be an important factor.
As a rule, over the ear headphones offer more bass, and some styles have a bass adjustment.
Highs and mid-tones
Usually, high-end brands like Bose and Sennheiser shine in this category.
Surprisingly, some styles of earbuds either do not have high enough volume, or they cannot be lowered to a comfortable level for some athletes.
We avoided these problem earbuds in our review.
If you are in a noisy gym environment, you may appreciate noise-canceling headphones.
Over the ear headphones tend to do better at noise canceling, which is why some still use bulky over the ear headphones at the gym.
If you are a runner or jogger and you run out in the real world, noise cancellation may not be the best option, since you need to be aware of your surroundings.
You would not want to get caught off guard by a car or cyclist, or not be able to hear a barking dog.
What technology do they use?
Do they have a reputation for staying connected to the music?
Some wireless headphones, both in the cheap and high-end range, just will not stay connected to the music, leaving you with an inconsistent listening experience.
I excluded headphones that had too many problems in this area from my review because, no matter how sporty the headphone is, if it does not stay connected to your music and give a smooth consistent listening experience, then the headphone is not worth it.
Are they wireless?
This is a preference thing.
There are some people who swear by only exercising with wireless headphones. And, they may have a point when it comes to the convenience of not having fuss with wires.
But wireless headphones comes with their own cons, too.
Connectivity is more vulnerable (it is never a problem with corded headphones), battery life needs to be considered (also never a problem with corded headphones) and some people may be concerned about the EMFs associated with wireless devices.
Some corded headphones offer better sound quality than their wireless counterparts and depending on your clothing, it can be pretty easy to tuck the cords inside your shirt and out of the way.
How long does the battery last?
Some of the best wireless headphones for running of the in-ear style have battery lives up to 12 hours.
Look for at least 6 hours for the in-ear style. It should last at least a couple workouts.
One brand of over the ear headphones we reviewed, the Skullcandy Crushers, have a battery life of 40 hours. That would last through at least a week’s worth of workouts, even if you work out 7 days a week for 4 hours!
Does the unit feature a “fast charge”?
This is a nice feature to have if your headphones are wireless. A really nice feature.
Because if you forgot to charge the headphones, you don’t want to be waiting around for them to charge so you can get to the gym.
Nope. No one has time for that!
Freedom of movement
Since you are looking for headphones to exercise with, being able to move freely is a priority.
They must fit well and stay in your ears or on your head.
Don’t hesitate, pick up a pair of the best workout headphones today.
Once you try headphones designed with movement and durability in mind, you will wish you had gotten a pair sooner.
Feel free to drop us a line and share your thoughts!
And don’t forget to subscribe!