You need a solid, reliable smith machine. It’s going to get roughed up with regular use, so it’s important to select a model that can stand up to the challenge.
The best smith machine will be a little more on the expensive side – but it’s worth the investment to know your equipment will be safe and long lasting.
|Inspire Fitness Ft2 Functional Trainer|
|Body Solid Smith Machine Package|
|Yukon Fitness Caribou System Smith Machine|
|Marcy Diamond Elite Smith Cage|
|Body Solid Pro Club Line Counterbalanced|
- 1. Inspire Fitness Ft2 Functional Trainer and Smith Station
- 2. Body Solid Smith Machine Package
- 3. Yukon Fitness Caribou System Smith Machine
- 4. Marcy Diamond Elite Smith Cage with Linear Bearings
- 5. Body Solid Series 7 Smith Machine with Olympic Set
- 6. Valor Athletics Smith Machine
- 7. Yukon Counter Balanced Linear Smith Machine
- 8. PowerLine PSM144X Smith Machine
- 9. Body Solid Pro Club Line Smith Machine
- 10. Champion Barbell 84 in. Smith Machine
Top 10 Best Smith Machines for Home Gym of 2019
Inspire Fitness Ft2 Functional Trainer
This is one of the most comprehensive smith machines you’ll find. Inspire offers two variations of this model – the regular one without a bench, and the fully loaded one that includes the bench.
Inspire Fitness also offers a bunch of optional customizations. If you want a fully stocked machine, you can purchase add-ons for your smith machine, like preacher curl attachments, abdominal bars, and upgrades for the weight stack.
The basic set comes packed with all the accessories you could ever need. You’re getting a pair of D handles, a swing handle, add on weight plates, ankle cuffs, a tricep rope, a curl bar, and a straight bar included with your purchase.
Most other smith machines require you to purchase these things separately. With the F2 Smith Station, you’re getting accessories already optimized to work with your machine included with your purchase.
- You’re getting a limited lifetime warranty on the entire machine. The frame, the parts, everything. You may be spending a pretty penny on this smith machine, but you’ll only have to spend that money once.
- This smith machine’s ball bearing system is designed to never need maintenance. You don’t have to worry about things going wrong and trying to figure out how to fix them.
- When you consider all of the accessories and optional attachments, you’ll see that you’re getting a completely comprehensive gym. If you stick with the Ft2, you’ll never have to buy anything else. You’ll be able to do all the best smith machine exercises.
- The minimum height of this machine is almost 7 feet tall. This could make it harder to use in areas with sloped ceilings, ceiling fans, or hanging light fixtures. Make sure you measure your home gym space first.
- If you’re already an experienced lifter, you’ll probably need to purchase the extra weight stack in order to make the most of the machine.
This machine is well worth the value. It may be expensive, but it’s a one time investment. It’s an incredible starting point for a comprehensive full home gym because of the versatility it offers.
Body Solid Smith Machine Package
This is a great value package for someone who wants to make the most out of a smith machine. It comes with almost everything you’ll need for a great full-body workout.
It’s basically an entire gym station, and you won’t need to supplement this smith machine with a lot of other equipment.
There’s virtually nothing you can’t do with it. It comes with bars for low rows and lat workouts, preacher curls, leg development, and even an adjustable bench.
- Since this machine comes with a built-in bench, it saves you a lot of hassle. You don’t have to go out and find a bench that will work with the specs of the machine, which is difficult since benches come in such a large variety of sizes.
- The gun rack can support up to 1,000 pounds of weight plates, making it easy to store your weights on the frame of the machine.
- This smith machine comes with just about everything you could ever need or want in your home gym.
- The assembled dimensions are 84” by 78” by 70”. If you have a lot of space, you probably won’t have a problem with the dimensions. If your home gym area is small or cramped, you may need to work out the logistics.
There’s no reason you can’t get a full home gym on a budget, and that’s exactly what you’re getting here. This earns its place as one of the best home smith machines money can buy.
Yukon Fitness Caribou System Smith Machine
Yukon Fitness has always made excellent workout equipment, and their smith machine is no exception.
It’s built to last.
While it’s not as fully loaded as a comprehensive smith machine, it still comes with a few great features you’ll use and love.
- A lot of smith machines aren’t Olympic compatible. This one is built for standard weights, but it comes with Olympic adapters. They’re easy to set up, and they offer you the versatility you need.
- It comes with an integrated dip station mount, low row foot plates, a chin-up bar, and an adjustable bench. If you’re looking to start up a basic smith machine exercise routine, the features make it perfect for a beginner.
- Yukon doesn’t offer any upgrade attachments for this smith machine. If you want to increase your range of workouts, you’ll need more equipment.
This is a great smith machine starter set at a price that most people can afford. If you want to build a home gym you can expand upon, this is a reliable machine to help you start your fitness journey.
Marcy Diamond Elite Smith Cage
This is an incredible value, and it’s really hard to find a smith machine that’s more worth the investment than this one.
It’s almost a complete home gym, and it comes at a shockingly affordable price.
With a bench, a leg developer, row and curl bars, a foot plate, and two handles, almost every kind of workout is possible using nothing more than this machine.
- The base of the machine is designed to increase stability, so you’ll never have to worry about it becoming top-heavy.
- The range of exercises it offers is absolutely incredible. Just about every smith machine workout plan will work with this machine.
- Since this machine has so many features, it’s huge. If you have the space for it in your garage gym, it’s worth the investment. If you don’t, it may be time to clean out and re-organize your garage.
This is incredibly affordable for everything it offers. It’s budget-priced, but stocked like a commercial machine you’d see at a luxury gym.
Marcy gives you the best bang for your buck.
Body Solid Series 7 Smith Machine
This compact smith machine is an excellent space saver, making it great for people who don’t have room for a large home gym.
It’s also a great supplement to other gym equipment, and a functional replacement for a traditional power or squat rack.
Since you can beef it up with optional attachments, you’re able to customize this smith machine to suit your personal needs.
- This machine comes with all the weights you’ll need. They all fit Olympic specifications, and they’re coated in a durable rubber that prevents rust and scuffing while minimizing the risk of damaging your walls or floors when you drop them.
- If you already have a lot of home gym equipment, you’re not going to pay for things you don’t need. If you’re looking to add a smith machine to your workout space without taking up the whole floor, you’ll be able to do that.
- This doesn’t include a bench. If you already have one, you’re probably not out of luck. If you don’t, you’ll need to purchase one.
This machine offers the best compromise between size and features. If you don’t need a smith machine to use for things like rows or lat pulls, this one is perfect.
No duplicate equipment, and no huge machines.
Valor Athletics Smith Machine
Don’t be fooled by the compact size of this machine. It may be small, but it’s sturdy. Valor makes strong equipment that’s designed to last for years.
This is one of few smith machines that’s designed specifically for Olympic weights. You won’t have to worry about conversion, and you can use the weights you already have.
With a max capacity of 1,000 pounds, you’ll be able to use this machine forever.
- The assembled dimensions of this machine are 53” by 73.25” by 80.5” inches. It won’t take up your whole home gym. If your workout studio is small, you’ll be able to squeeze this machine in with relative ease.
- Though this is a simple smith machine, it’s designed to be priced affordably without sacrificing quality. It’s built to the exact same specifications as the smith machines at commercial gyms, but scaled down to fit in your home.
- It doesn’t come with a bench, and there’s no optional attachments. You can’t really customize this machine, but you can definitely use it for all it’s worth.
This is one of the best smith machines for home or garage gyms that don’t have a lot of space to spare.
If your main goal is to find an affordably priced smith machine that you can squeeze into your workout area, you’ll find that this one is perfect for you.
Yukon Counter Balanced Linear Smith Machine
This is a counterbalanced smith machine, and that makes it excellent for beginners.
When a weight load is counterbalanced, it’s easier to lift. If you’re new to lifting or you’ve ever experienced back problems, a counterbalanced smith machine offers you a great solution to your situation.
Counterbalances are also great for the machine. Since the counterbalance reduces the stress of the smith machine, you’re less likely to damage it with frequent use.
- Almost anyone can use a counterbalanced smith machine, no matter their level of fitness or physical strength. If you have unique challenges with lifting, this machine may make things possible that you couldn’t do before.
- The weight pegs are Olympic, and the bar can be set at 14 different heights. Almost any Olympic workout is a breeze with this machine.
- Nothing is included. No bench, no attachments, no weights. If you already have these things, that’s probably good – you won’t be purchasing them twice. If you’re starting from the ground up, you’ll need to supplement.
A counterbalanced smith machine opens up a lot of doors for people who may not otherwise be able to lift heavy loads.
If you have trouble with strength training or physical capabilities, this machine is perfect.
PowerLine PSM144X Smith Machine
Powerline makes budget workout equipment, so if you don’t have a lot of cash to work with, this is your best option.
There’s nothing fancy about this machine, and it doesn’t come with anything special. This may sound like a drawback, but it’s an advantage if you’re trying to be thrifty.
- This may be an inexpensive smith machine, but you’ll never have to fear that it will fall apart on you with rigorous use.
- It comes with 14 lockout positions, spotter extensions, and a heavily reinforced glide carriage. It only does the basics, but it does the basics very well.
- There are no bells and whistles with this machine. You’re only getting the frame and the bar. If that’s all you’re looking for, this won’t be a con. If you need them, you can purchase them separately.
If you already have a lot of gym equipment and you aren’t looking to spend money on things you don’t need, this is the best smith machine for you.
It’s also great for people working with tight budgets, especially if they want to try truly one of the best smith machines for the first time.
Body Solid Pro Club Line Smith Machine
This machine is designed with firefighters, the police force, and military personnel in mind. If it’s good enough for them, it will certainly be good enough for you.
Counterbalanced smith machines have a lot of distinct advantages, making them an excellent choice for just about everyone.
This machine is made to stand up to commercial gym standards, and costs only half the price that most commercial machines would cost.
- Counterbalancing works perfectly for anyone at any level of fitness. It doesn’t matter if the user is 16 years old or 60 years old. The counterbalance makes the lift easier, putting less strain on the user’s body.
- This machine is designed for Olympic weight plates, and is even stocked with six pegs for storage. It can hold up to 1000 pounds on its heavy gauge steel frame.
- The assembled machine measures in at 50” by 86” by 84” inches, so this may not be the best machine for cramped spaces.
Get the same workout a firefighter gets with the added safety and ease of use the counterbalance provides.
There isn’t a single person who won’t be able to utilize this machine to its fullest capabilities.
Champion Barbell 84 in. Smith Machine
This machine serves as a blank canvas for anyone who wants full customization.
If you already know the way you want to set up your smith machine and plan your workouts, you’ll find that this machine is the blank canvas you’ve been looking for.
It’s extremely durable, and it’s yours to set up however you desire.
- Eight weight storage pegs means you can store every single weight plate you own right on this machine. This makes your workout easier than ever, because changing out your weights can be done in a matter of moments when everything is organized.
- The frame is made of heavy wall steel tubing, so it’s not likely to break. It’s made of one of the most durable materials imaginable.
- While most smith machines offer a 1,000 pound weight capacity bar, this bar is only rated for 700 pounds. This will probably never become an issue for the average user, who will never attempt to lift 700 pounds anyway.
It’s basic, but it offers you room to be creative. If you’re looking for the right industrial grade smith machine to incorporate into workouts you’ve already designed, this is perfect.
Use this in conjunction with your other home gym equipment to maximize your workout.
We hope our pick for the best smith machines and their reviews have led you closer to final thoughts before buying one that’s truly the best choice for you!