So, you finally started that workout routine.
You had a goal in mind and got a plan to get there.
There is just one thing concerning you…
How am I going to stick to this Routine?!!!
This is a question everyone asks themselves when beginning a routine. Having a plan is easy, but sticking to it is another thing entirely.
Learning how to stick to a workout routine isn’t hard. You just have to understand a few things and make adjustments as you go.
Tips For How to Stick to a Workout Routine
Always remember these tips:
Can You Do The Workout?
If you can’t do the routine, how are you going to stick to it? Make sure the workouts are at a level you can do. They don’t always have to be ridiculously difficult.
A good routine is all about progression. Start at a difficulty you can manage and work your way up. Every day you will be getting stronger and will be able to do harder workouts as you keep going.
Does Your Workout Feel Stale?
When you’re trying to learn how to stick to a workout routine, you gotta keep it interesting. If your workout is boring, you’re definitely going to fall off your routine.
If you do the same movements every day at the same pace, you’ll eventually get bored and stop doing it.
I’ve been there many times myself, so when I start getting bored I change up the routines.
Change it up!
Doing different workouts with different movements will keep your muscles guessing and keep you interested.
CrossFit and martial arts classes are great options to fight off boredom. The classes are always different and challenging, which will keep you motivated to keep training.
This quote goes for your workout routine also. To keep your workout from getting stale, you gotta spice it up and keep it interesting.
You always gotta stay motivated. Not just with working out, but in life as well.
Always having that drive to get to your next goal is how you achieve success in life. Do whatever you need to do to reach your dreams.
Here is a quick list of things that will help you stay motivated to stay on your routine.
- Music: Listen to your favorite music that’s going to pump you up and get you to finish that workout. A great song can get you motivated and turn a mediocre workout into a great one.
- Read: Reading inspirational quotes or an uplifting book can give you the drive to get up and do your workout. Instagram has some great profiles full of quotes to keep you motivated like our Instagram page here.
- Watch something inspirational: Sitting down and watching something that inspires you can give you the motivation to get that workout done. It could be a movie or a motivational speech on Youtube. Watch whatever motivates you to get up and move.
- Look where you started: Take photos before you start the routine and later when you’re weeks into the program. Seeing where you started to where you are now, you can see the progress you’re making. It’ll influence you to keep training and getting better.
- Have extrinsic motivation: Giving yourself an award working out is a great motivator to keep going. Having pizza after doing so many workouts in a row or buying smaller clothes to fit in are good examples.
Remember that getting to your goal is all on you! You gotta be accountable for yourself and take action to help yourself.
- Make a List: Making a daily list of goals you need to get done can keep you accountable. If you write down your workout it can make you feel accountable that you need to get that workout done.
- Hire a Trainer: Maybe you need someone to keep you on track. A trainer will guide you through a workout and keep you motivated to keep going.
- Join a Class: A fitness class is full of people trying to get healthy and motivate each other. For example, CrossFit classes are full of people that pump up each other to do their best and finish a workout.
- Fitness Tracker: Sometimes you need to see your results. With a fitness tracker you can see the calories burned, distance traveled, heart-rate, and time completed. (We made a list of the best fitness trackers 2021 here)
Staying accountable is vital for sticking to a routine and doing one or more of these options will help.
No Distractions! Stay The Course!
Don’t let things distract you from your goal. You gotta stick to the plan if you want the results.
Avoid shiny object syndrome. There’s always someone that says they have a shortcut to whether it’s a supplement or piece of equipment. These people are full of crap.
There is no substitute for hard work. Usain Bolt and Michael Phelps didn’t break those records taking short cuts. You have to stay the course and always push yourself.
Control stress. Don’t let stress in your personal and professional life distract you from your fitness goals. It may seem too hard, but getting in that workout will help lower stress in your life.
So remember to not let outside things distract you and stay focused on your goals.
Fix Your Diet
Not only do you have to learn how to stick to your workout routine, but your diet is just as important. If you don’t have a good diet, then it will make it harder to stick to your program.
You may need to fix your diet to reach your goal. If your goal is to lose weight, then how will you get there eating 3k calories of junk?
A good diet will give the energy to get through that workout and feel good during and after. It also makes a positive impact on your personal life. Leaving you in a good mood and feeling healthy.
Do some research and maybe consult a nutritionist to find out what your body needs. It will make a world of difference in how you feel during your workouts.
Get Some Sleep!
Remember to get those zzz’s in between training sessions. This is where your body recovers and builds muscle.
If you don’t get rest, then you’re not going to have enough energy to work out. Remember to get 7-9 hours of sleep every night. Maybe more if your routine burns a lot of energy and requires more rest.
John Hopkins goes into more detail on the importance of sleep and training on their website.
Like What You’re Doing
This may sound crazy, but actually liking the training you’re doing will keep you doing the routines. Obviously, if you like something, then the odds are you will keep doing it.
Having a passion to train will help give you the discipline to stay on your program and meet your goal.
A reason why people find Simone Biles or Steph Curry successful is because they love what they do and enjoy doing it. And it shows.
Find workouts that you enjoy doing and you won’t have to worry about falling off your program.
It’s Okay to Mess Up!
If you miss a workout don’t worry it’s not the end of the world. Just because you missed one workout doesn’t mean you should throw out your program.
It’s okay to mess up as long as you re-focus and get back on track with your routine.
Training is just like life. We are going to make mistakes, but it’s okay as long as we don’t give up. Always learn and adapt.
Hope This Helps!
I hope these tips were helpful for you in learning how to stick to your workout routine. Just remember the most important thing about sticking to a program.
It’s all up to you!
As I said earlier, sticking to a routine is all on you. You’re the one that needs to build the discipline within yourself to achieve your goals.
As long as you believe in yourself and try, you’ll always be improving and reaching your goals.
As Henry Ford said, “whether you think you can, or think you can’t, you’re right.”
- 15 Best Massage Guns – November 2020 Review & Buyers Guide - November 22, 2020
- 10 Best Pilates Balls 2021 - November 17, 2020
- 9 Best CrossFit Packages & Bundles to Level Up Your Home or Garage Gym 2021 - June 25, 2020