TOP 13 Best Creatine Supplements Reviewed 2023 (A Buyer’s Guide)
With so many options out there, it’s hard to decide which creatine to get.
I feel your pain!
I have been looking for a decent creatine supplement that works, and is not expensive.
After doing a ton of research if finally made my decision.
Along the way, I came up with this list of the 13 best creatine supplements I could find and reviewed them so you can benefit from my research.
Here are those reviews, a creatine buying guide, a synopsis of the creatine I chose and why I chose it, and a creatine FAQ section that I hope will answer all your questions about this amazing supplement.
- TOP 13 Best Creatine Supplements 2023
- Genius Creatine Powder
- MET-Rx Creatine 4200
- Old School Labs Classic Creatine
- BPI Sports Creatine
- BSN Micronized Creatine
- BulkSupplements Creatine Monohydrate
- MuscleTech Platinum Creatine Monohydrate
- Optimum Nutrition Creatine Monohydrate
- Naked Pure Creatine Monohydrate
- MP Essentials Micronized Creatine
- Dymatize Micronized Creatine
- Beast Sports Nutrition Creatine Complex
- Crazy Muscle Creatine Monohydrate Pills
- Buying Guide to the Best Creatine Supplements
- Creatine Supplement FAQs
- Are Creatine Capsules Better than Powder?
- Are Creatine Supplements Safe?
- What do Creatine Supplements do?
- Does Creatine Make You Gain Weight?
- What’s the difference between Creatine and Whey Protein?
- Why should I take Creatine Supplements?
- Why do I Need to Drink a lot of Water with Creatine?
- Should I use a Pre-workout that has Creatine?
- When should I take Creatine?
TOP 13 Best Creatine Supplements 2023
Genius Creatine Powder
- Post-Workout Muscle Maximizer: Genius Creatine by The Genius Brand acts fast to recharge every cell and build muscle faster.* Each serving provides 5 g of German Creapure, an elite creatine monohydrate source, along with premium CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine to boost muscle function and performance and AstraGin for superior bioavailabilty.* Green Apple flavor. 25 scoops per container.
- Not Just a Bodybuilding Supplement: Creatine is a key component of optimized nutrition. While most people recognize it for its muscle-boosting and workout properties, its benefits can extend to enhanced cellular energy levels, boosted brain function, and more.*
- No Bloat or Itch: Genius Creatine has been scientifically formulated to avoid the dreaded creatine bloating as well as the “itchy” feelings associated with beta-alanine. Vegan and made in the USA without artificial flavors or sweeteners, gluten, GMOs, proprietary blends, or unnecessary fillers.
- How to Use: Mix 1 scoop in 8 oz of water or your favorite drink immediately post-workout or first thing in the morning on non-workout days.
- Supplement Smarter: Genius Brand supplements are a rejection of backwards industry dogma that misled generations of health and wellness enthusiasts. For us, scientific innovation and natural ingredients come first. Whether you’re a pro athlete, stay-at-home parent, retiree, or anything in between, our products can be of benefit to you. We’re all humans, and we are in this together.
Review: Genius Creatine Powder is a very popular choice, although it is a little more expensive than others. It contains three types of creatine, including creatine Magnapower, which is bonded to magnesium which helps the creatine absorb better.
The Genius creatine also contains Astragin, an absorption enhancer, and sustained release beta-alanine, which will not cause tingles while giving you all the other benefits of beta-alanine.
- Includes 3 forms of creatine.
- 6 grams of Carnosyn beta-alanine per serving.
- Naturally sweetened green apple flavor.
- Does not blend/dissolve well.
Designed for the best possible creatine absorption, Genius creatine is one of the best creatine supplements of 2023.
MET-Rx Creatine 4200
- One 240 count bottle of MET-Rx Creatine 4200 Pre or Post Workout Supplement
- Creatine monohydrate capsules can increase your strength and power during your workout and your post workout recovery (1)
- Creatine supplements can enhance the ability to produce higher muscular force for increased reps during lifting (1)
- Each creatine supplement capsule is easy to swallow and convenient to take pre or post workout
- Muscle supplements are packed with 4200 mg of HPLC Pure Creatine Monohydrate per serving to help increase strength and power (1)
Review: If you are not a fan of drinking your creatine, you might like this option. MET-Rx 4200 is creatine in capsules, so it is easy to carry with you and take on the go.
The formula is simple, just pure creatine monohydrate, which is what is used in most creatine studies and is proven effective at aiding recovery and building lean muscle mass.
- Contains only pure creatine monohydrate.
- Pill form is convenient and easy to carry on the go.
- 40 servings per bottle
- 6 pills per serving size.
The most convenient form of creatine to take, pills are portable, clean and small.
Old School Labs Classic Creatine
- Scientifically Proven: Our Classic Creatine Monohydrate Powder contains the most scientifically proven form of creatine monohydrate. It’s for all fitness levels and helps whether you’re struggling building muscle or need to break through a training plateau.
- Maximum Absorption: Classic Creatine is the only creatine powder that contains BioFit – a probiotic that helps increase gut flora and supports quicker and fuller ingredient absorption.
- Gentle On Digestion: Classic Creatine leverages BioFit probiotic to minimize bloating and discomfort commonly associated with other creatine products.
- Fully Guaranteed: At Old School Labs, we firmly stand by what we offer our customers. If you are not 100% satisfied with any Old School Labs product, we will provide you a full reimbursement.
- About Old School Labs: All our products are formulated in Southern California and made in the USA. Proudly supporting your fitness journey and helping you Keep it Old School!
Review: This bag of pure creatine monohydrate is a great choice because it will last you two or three months, depending on how often you take it.
Plus it contains ONLY pure creatine monohydrate, the form used in most scientific studies. Old school Labs is a trusted brand, which is another bonus.
- 60 servings per package.
- Contains scientifically proven creatine monohydrate.
- Mixes easily.
- More expensive than other creatine monohydrate formulations.
Quality creatine that mixes well, from a trusted name in the fitness industry.
BPI Sports Creatine
- Six Advanced Forms of Creatine – BEST CREATINE Combines Six Advanced Forms of Creatine Into One Powerful Blend That Promotes Better Muscle Growth, Improved Strength and Power, and Faster Recovery So You Can Excel in The Gym, on The Field or The Court.
- Lean Muscle Gains – Creatine is a Nutrient That Occurs Naturally in The Body and in Some Foods; It Functions as an Energy Source, Helping Improve Muscular Output and Reduce Fatigue During Rigorous Physical Exertion.
- Creatine AKG, One of The Six Forms of Creatine in BEST CREATINE, is Creatine Bonded to Alpha-Ketoglutarate, a Precursor of Glutamine; Glutamine is an Amino Acid Crucial for Muscle Growth and Recovery.
- Boost Performance, Strength and Endurance – BEST CREATINE Also Contains Betaine, a Beet Extract That Boosts Raw Power and Strength.
- No Loading – BEST CREATINE Was Specifically Formulated to Prevent Water Bloat and The Need For a Loading Phase; Packaging may vary
Review: BPI Sports creatine includes 6 different forms of creatine including the well-studied creatine monohydrate, buffered creatine and MagnaPower creatine which is said to absorb better than other forms.
I love that this stuff tastes great mixed with plain water and does not have many calories or carbs. Plus, the blend of the different types of creatine make the creatine absorb better and it’s easier on the tummy.
- Contains 6 different forms of creatine.
- Tastes great.
- 4 grams of creatine and only 5 calories per serving.
- Formula includes 50 mg of salt per serving.
- Sweetened with artificial sweeteners.
Great tasting blend of 6 different forms of creatine for a mix that absorbs well and is easy on the tummy.
BSN Micronized Creatine
- Support lean muscle mass: Help you get the most out of your workout
- Product Note: Exposure to heat or sunlight may lead to melting/damage of product. Hence customers are expected to be available during the product delivery
- Support strength & power: Aid in the ability to push heavy weight
- Support performance – help take your training to the next level
- 5 gram of Creatine monohydrate per serving – the industry standard of recommended intake
Review: BSN is a well-known brand among fitness buffs and this creatine is pure monohydrate with nothing else added.
It’s offered at a great price and the creatine is micronized so it mixes easily, unlike some other brands that make sand at the bottom of your glass.
- 60 servings of creatine at an affordable price.
- Pure creatine monohydrate, the proven and well-studied form.
- Micronized to dissolve easily into your drink.
- Sometimes the container comes without a scoop to measure.
This creatine is from one of the best creatine supplement brands. It is offered at a great price per servings & mixes really well.
BulkSupplements Creatine Monohydrate
- 💪 For Muscle Mass - Creatine, or Creatine Monohydrate, is one of the most widely-used workout supplements. If you're trying to pack on lean muscle mass, supplementing with our creatine monohydrate powder, or creatine nutritional supplements, can help! Add our unflavored powder into your daily routine for additional muscle support!*
- 🏃 For Energy & Endurance - Creatine Monohydrate powder, a creatine powder, helps boost energy to your muscles, which support performance.* Our Micronized Creatine powder allows you to have more energy throughout the day. In addition, this creatine supplement may also help with recovery between sets allowing you to push harder and longer than before!*
- ✔️ Pure & Unflavored Creatine - Unlike some other supplements, our creatine monohydrate powder, or creatine powder, is micronized and is an effective form of creatine supplements which makes it more easily absorbed by the body. Our Creatine powder is also flavorless and has no artificial flavors. Simply add our pure creatine powder to any pre-workout shake and you're good to go!
- ✨ Supplement your Workout - Take our pure & unflavored Creatine Monohydrate powder daily to support your workouts. Each serving contains 5g, about 2 tsp, and our creatine powder is free of gluten, dairy and soy for those with dietary restrictions. Add our Creatine supplement into your daily routine and regimen in easy to use powder!
- ⭐ High Quality - All Pre Workout with creatine by BulkSupplements are manufactured according to cGMP Standards to ensure the highest quality for manufacturing, packaging, labeling, and holding operations. We third party test our creatine micronized powder at multiple stages during production, procedures and equipment to ensure compliance, standards and consistency.
Review: The best thing about BulkSupplements creatine is it has a huge number of servings and its cheap! A 1 Kilogram bag has 200 servings of 5 grams each serving. That will last you quite a while.
The package has no measuring scoop, so get out a measuring spoon and use one level teaspoon for a 5-gram serving.
This is pure creatine monohydrate, the most studied and proven form of creatine, without ANY other added ingredients so you can add it to any drink, even water.
- Best creatine for the money.
- Pure creatine monohydrate, well studied and proven.
- Huge number of servings per bag, lasts a long time.
- Does not include a measuring scoop.
Keep it simple with a bag of the most proven form of creatine, with enough servings to last a long time.
MuscleTech Platinum Creatine Monohydrate
- CREATINE MONOHYDRATE POWDER – MuscleTech Platinum Creatine delivers 5g of 100% pure, HPLC-tested, micronized creatine monohydrate to increase lean muscle, improve strength and muscle endurance
- MUSCLE BUILDER for MEN & WOMEN – Platinum Creatine delivers creatine directly to your muscles, driving performance. Test subjects increased their bench press strength by an amazing 18.6% in just 10 days
- MUSCLE RECOVERY – Creatine helps to replenish ATP levels in hard-working muscles. This allows you to train harder, for longer
- SINGLE INGREDIENT – No fillers. No sugar. Unflavored. Fits with a ketogenic diet
- DAILY WORKOUT SUPPLEMENTS – For the first 3 days (loading phase): Mix 1 scoop with 8 oz of water (or other drink) and consume 4 times daily. After day 3 (maintenance phase): Mix 1 scoop with 8 oz of water (or other drink) and consume 1 to 2 times daily
Review: MuscleTech Platinum creatine is micro-fine so you can mix it with any drink, even water, and you won’t notice it’s there. It has no flavor so you can use whatever drink you like.
It’s offered at a great price considering it has 80 serving of 5 grams creatine each.
- 80 servings of 5 grams of creatine each serving.
- 100 percent pure, micronized creatine monohydrate.
- Completely flavorless and neutral, add to ANY drink.
- The packaging has a lot of air/empty wasted space at the top.
Simple, affordable, top quality creatine with nothing else added.
Optimum Nutrition Creatine Monohydrate
- 5 grams pure creatine monohydrate per serving
- Supports increases in energy, endurance and recovery
- Maximum potency supports muscle size, strength, and power
- Supreme absorbency micronized to get the most out of each dose
- Optimum Nutrition is the World's #1 Sports Nutrition Brand. Banned substance tested - Highest quality control measures so you feel comfortable and safe consuming the product
Review: Optimum Nutrition is one of the top names in sports nutrition so when I look for supplements I always scan their products. The ON Creatine does not disappoint!
This package has 120 servings of 5 grams each. Plus it’s really affordable and it’s micronized so I can mix it in water and it won’t have a weird texture. Its pure creatine monohydrate, which I trust, because it is very well studied.
- 120 servings of 5 grams each.
- Great price – affordable creatine.
- Micronized to mix and absorb well.
- Container does not come with a scoop.
One of the best creatine monohydrate supplements you can get for the money.
Naked Pure Creatine Monohydrate
- ONLY ONE INGREDIENT: 100% Pure Micronized Creatine Monohydrate. Certified Vegan, Non-GMO, Soy Free and Gluten Free.
- HIGHEST QUALITY: Naked Creatine is the highest grade creatine monohydrate supplement available.
- FAST DISSOLVING: Unlike other brands, Naked Creatine dissolves quickly in water or your juice of choice.
- RAPID ABSORPTION: Pure creatine monohydrate allows for fast absorption which enhances gains, strength, and increases training capacity.
- NO ADDITIVES: Made from pure monohydrate creatine with no artificial sweeteners, flavors or colors.
Review: Naked Pure Creatine monohydrate is pure and simple. Just one ingredient, creatine monohydrate.
I like this choice because it has a huge number of servings, 200 to be exact, and it’s sold at a reasonable price. It has no flavor so you can mix it with any drink and you won’t know it’s there.
- 200 servings per container.
- Micronized so it absorbs well and mixes fully in your drink.
- Quality tested for product purity.
- No flavor – can be mixed with any drink.
- Scoop size is inconsistent.
Pure, micronized creatine monohydrate that mixes fully, has no flavor, and has a lot of servings in each tub.
MP Essentials Micronized Creatine
- STRENGTH AND POWER AMPLIFIER: MP Essentials Micronized Creatine powder is comprised of clinically researched compounds that work together to increase muscle strength and power for improved performance.
- IMPROVES ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE: Creatine powder has been used by professional athletes and workout enthusiasts for years to build muscle mass and reduce recovery time from workouts.
- PROMOTES INCREASES IN STRENGTH & LEAN BODY MASS: Creatine Monohydrate works to restore muscular energy levels lost during exercise. This results in increased power, strength, and lean body mass.
- BANNED-SUBSTANCE TESTED: We care about the products you put into your body. MP Essentials Micronized Creatine powder is banned-substance tested and certified by Informed-Choice.
- 100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE: All MusclePharm products are backed by a 30-day full money-back guarantee.
Review: MP Essentials Micronized creatine is a good value for the money. It is made from the most tested and proven form of creatine, creatine monohydrate.
Plus, the micronization helps it dissolve better and it has no flavor so you can add it to any drink. This formula has no other ingredients, just pure creatine.
- 100% creatine monohydrate, the most proven form.
- Micronized so it mixes up easily.
- Unflavored so you can mix it with any drink.
- Can have a slight chalky texture.
Affordable creatine at a fair price from a well-known supplement maker.
Dymatize Micronized Creatine
- Improves muscle performance during high intensity activities such as weight training, running, & any other aerobic or anaerobic exercise
- No fillers ever used, only 100% Pure Creative Monohydrate
- Supports increased muscle size via cell hydration
Review: Dymatize micronized creatine is a great deal because the container has 200 servings so it will last you a really long time.
This creatine has a fine texture and no flavor or other added ingredients so it’s perfect to add to your favorite drink or even water.
- 200 servings per container.
- Pure creatine monohydrate, well studied and verified.
- Micronized for the best texture.
- Does not include a measuring scoop.
Pure creatine monohydrate with lots of servings per container from a brand I trust.
Beast Sports Nutrition Creatine Complex
- NATURAL PERFORMANCE ENHANCER - Creatine is an ingredient naturally found in our muscles. It’s responsible for re-fueling and hydrating muscle cells with ATP, which is the energy source used to perform.
- CUTTING-EDGE CREATINE - Creature packs 5 advanced forms of creatine into 1 scoop, including Creatine Monohydrate, one of the most scientifically researched supplements available, Creatine Anhydrous & Crea-Trona, a buffered form of creatine.
- NEXT LEVEL PERFORMANCE - Take your workouts and muscle development to a higher level. Beast Creature allows you to train harder, recover quicker, and develop well-balanced muscle strength without intestinal discomfort or bloating.
- UNFAIR ADVANTAGE - Adding creatine to your routine can help you break through plateaus, preserve lean muscle mass while cutting body fat, reduce soreness, avoid fatigue, increase muscle size, and improve your output power.
- EASY SUPPLEMENTATION - Creatine levels can be increased by eating protein-dense foods such as steak, but you’d have to eat large amounts that may pose other health risks. In comparison, Creature quickly delivers four grams of creatine per serving.
Review: Includes 5 advanced forms of creatine to enhance availability, absorption and make it easier on the stomach.
In addition to the creatine complex, this formula has a few extras like biotin and chromium that help prevent muscle breakdown and allow your muscles to recover faster.
Still, the unflavored formula is mostly creatine, without any added sugars, artificial sweeteners, colors or other junk.
- Includes 5 different forms of creatine.
- Contains cinnamon bark, chromium, and biotin to aid in muscle recovery.
- Won’t cause bloating.
- The creatine is in a proprietary mix, meaning you don’t know exactly how much of each creatine makes up the 4 grams of creatine in each serving.
Advanced creatine formula that helps you build muscle, retain muscle and recover faster.
Crazy Muscle Creatine Monohydrate Pills
- Elevate your workout with Crazy Muscle's Three-atine, a unique creatine blend including creatine monohydrate. Designed to support the fitness journey of both men and women, not intended to treat or prevent any disease.
- Harness the power of over 5000mg of creatine per serving with our potent creatine monohydrate powder blend, Three-atine. Formulated for easy digestion to support your fitness goals.
- Incorporate our Three-atine Creatine Pills into your routine easily with no loading phase required. Ideal for pre and/or post workout use for both men and women. Just add water or juice!
- Trust in Crazy Muscle's Three-atine, a 100% vegetarian, gluten-free, soy-free, and keto-friendly creatine monohydrate supplement. Made in an GMP compliant facility in the USA.
- Support your fitness goals with our creatine monohydrate pills, Three-atine. Designed to help
Review: I love the idea of creatine pills because sometimes you cannot mix up a drink to take it with and they are so easy to just take with you if you are on the go.
Just be careful because creatine MUST be taken with plenty of water – at least one big glass full. If you do not take creatine with water, or another liquid, you are asking for a stomach ache.
These creatine pills have three different forms of creatine, which are said to absorb more rapidly and completely.
- Three forms of creatine – no proprietary blends, you know exactly what you are getting.
- Easy to take and store pill form.
- 5 grams of creatine per serving.
- Higher per serving cost than most, likely because these are in pill form.
Easy to take creatine in a capsule with three types of creatine to absorb faster and more completely.
Buying Guide to the Best Creatine Supplements
What factors should you keep in mind before buying? What are the qualities of a great creatine supplement?
Keep reading to find out!
Factor 1: Is the Creatine Easy to Mix?
Let me be real with you.
Some creatine supplements mix up and dissolve about as well as sand, and have a similar texture when you try and drink them down.
Look for micronized creatine.
Micronized creatine like Optimum Nutrition Micronized Creatine Monohydrate Powder.
Are processed into a very fine powder that dissolves better and is easier to drink.
Factor 2: What Form of Creatine is it?
There are over 10 different types of creatine, all with their own reported benefits.
The MOST STUDIED and PROVEN form of creatine in Creatine Monohydrate.
For other forms of creatine, it can be hard to find science or hard evidence to back them up.
When in doubt, it’s best to go with creatine monohydrate, since it has been proven to increase lean muscle and strength.
If you want more info on the different types of creatine, check out Chapter 8 of the Ultimate Creatine Guide.
Factor 3: What is the Price per Serving?
Price per serving varies a lot between different brands and formulations of creatine supplements. While you probably don’t want the cheapest creatine you can find, because it is likely not micronized, you do what to take a look at:
- The number of servings per package.
- How many grams of creatine are in each serving.
- Total price.
If you use these factors to compare, you can get a good idea if the creatine you are considering is a good deal or not.
Factor 4: What does Creatine Taste like?
Pure, micronized creatine monohydrate should be nearly tasteless, so it can be mixed with water or any drink and not be too noticeable.
Other forms of creatine, like Creatine HCL, or Creapure, may have a slightly bitter flavor.
What most people object to when drinking creatine is the texture. Creatine that is not processed into a fine powder, or micronized, has a gritty texture.
If you do not like the taste or texture of creatine, try the pill form like these MET-Rx Creatine 4200 so you can avoid the taste and texture altogether.
The VERDICT: What Creatine Supplement did I Choose After All that Research?
After studying creatine, and the best creatine supplements, I believe in my heart of hearts that plain old creatine monohydrate is all we need.
All the other forms of creatine may work, but they are more expensive, and there is only so much creatine our bodies can absorb at once, and creatine monohydrate will give our bodies all the creatine it can take up.
I chose the BulkSupplements Creatine Monohydrate because it has the best price per serving and it is micronized so it mixes really well,
It’s simple, and it’s effective.
Creatine Supplement FAQs
Are Creatine Capsules Better than Powder?
Both capsules and powder forms of creatine have their benefits and drawbacks.
Benefits of Creatine Pills
- Pills are easy to take, can be easily carried with you, and allow you to take creatine without dealing with the taste or texture.
Drawbacks of Creatine Pills
- The drawback of pills is they are more expensive than creatine powder and you have to take several pills, sometimes up to 6 at a time, to get a serving.
Benefits of Creatine Powder
- The biggest benefit to creatine powder is it is much less expensive as a loose powder vs a capsule.
- Also, since you should always take creatine with plenty of water, mixing creatine in a drink gives you the liquid you need.
Drawbacks of Creatine Powder
- Drinking creatine mixed from the powder can taste chalky or grainy. Some brands are better than others. Look for micronized creatine like BSN Micronized Creatine to overcome problems with chalkiness.
Are Creatine Supplements Safe?
Creatine is one of the safest, most effective, and most well-studied supplements on the market.
But don’t take my word for it!
Examine.com has an extensive write-up on this fabulous supplement that covers the effects, studies and safely profile.
What do Creatine Supplements do?
Creatine supplements have been shown to:
- Increase power output
- Increase lean muscle mass
- Increase strength
Creatine has also been shown to help with depression and alleviate the effects of sleep deprivation.
If you want to learn more about creatine, check out this in-depth guide to creatine here.
Does Creatine Make You Gain Weight?
Creatine causes your muscles to take on a little water. It causes most people to gain around 5 lbs during the loading phase, if taken consistently.
Gains after 5 lbs are likely from muscle if your diet is good.
Any weight gain is likely from water retention, lean muscle gains, or both. Creatine is not known for packing on fat and has not been shown to alter fat mass significantly.
What’s the difference between Creatine and Whey Protein?
Creatine and Whey protein are two different things altogether.
They are sometimes found in the same drink mix, and they both help you gain muscle, so the confusion is understandable.
What is Creatine?
Creatine is a tri-peptide that helps your body specifically to recycle ATP which creates energy, spurs muscle growth and increases power.
What is Whey Protein?
Whey protein is a protein from cow’s milk. Whey protein contains the building blocks of muscle, but does not have the direct action that creatine does of creating energy and initiating muscle repair and growth.
If you are looking for a high-quality protein, I have a list of the best protein powder brands here.
What’s Better, Whey Protein or Creatine?
Both whey protein and creatine are found in the foods you eat, but it is much easier to get sufficient protein than it is to get optimal amounts of creatine, which is why I recommend creatine if you can only take one or the other.
If you want more details I wrote this write-up comparing whey protein vs creatine. Check it out!
Why should I take Creatine Supplements?
I recommend every athlete take creatine.
Because most athletes use more creatine in their daily routine than they consume from food or their bodies make, unless they are eating several steaks a day.
If you are using a lot of creatine through heavy training, but not replacing that creatine through food or supplements, you can see you will run into problems.
Plus, having a surplus of creatine is what promotes muscle growth and additional power.
If you want to read more about how all this works, I wrote about it in the complete creatine guide here.
Why do I Need to Drink a lot of Water with Creatine?
It is super important to drink plenty of water with your creatine supplement.
Let’s start by going over how creatine works.
Creatine draws water into the muscle. This facilitates growth of muscle fiber and slows down muscle breakdown.
If you take creatine without enough water, creatine will take water from your body to use for its purposes.
This is why taking too much creatine, or taking creatine without enough water can cause your stomach to hurt.
Should I use a Pre-workout that has Creatine?
After doing some research and giving this some thought, I say no. Take a separate creatine supplement and drink your pre-workout before your workout and the creatine supplement after your workout.
Look for a pre-workout with no added creatine.
Most pre-workouts that contain creatine do not include enough creatine, so you will have to drink more pre-workout, or supplement creatine anyways to get enough.
Studies show creatine is better to take after you work out because has a more favorable effect on body composition when taken after you work out (Source).
When should I take Creatine?
Studies show, creatine is best taken right after you work out.
This study showed that athletes who took creatine right after their workout had superior gains, compared to the group who took creatine before the workout.
Now that you have seen the best creatine supplements I could find, you should have a good idea about what will work for you.
Don’t wait to start making those gains you have been working towards. Pick up some creatine and don’t let all that effort you are putting in at the gym go to waste, get the most out of it!
If you like gym gear and supplement reviews like this, sign up for the Garage Gym Power newsletter and we will always keep you informed when new reviews and news come out.