Caffeine and pre workouts go together like mustard on a hot dog, right?
This is the conclusion you might come to if you spend any time on some body building or weight lifting forums.
There is actually quite a large market demand for pre workouts that do not contain stimulants and many who are looking for the best pre workout without caffeine.
The good news?
The market delivered. There are many great pre workouts that have little or no caffeine, and I will show you a few of my favorites here in a minute.
I want to explain the benefits and drawbacks of non stimulant pre workouts, describe several ingredients you might find I your favorite stim free pre-workout and how they work to improve your performance at the gym, and then I will wrap it up with my list of 13 of the best pre workouts with little to no caffeine.
- Pros and Cons of Including Caffeine in a Pre Workout
- The More You Know: Pre Workout Ingredients You Should Take Note Of
- TOP 13 Best Low & Non Caffeine Pre Workout Reviews 2018
- BSN N.O.-XPLODE Pre-Workout
- Genius Pre Workout
- Neuro Recharged by Havasu Nutrition
- Organic Muscle Pre-Workout
- Iron Brothers Supplements Nitric Oxide Booster
- Garden of Life Sport Organic Pre Workout
- GAT Pmp Stimulant Free Supplement
- Evlution Nutrition Pump Mode
- High T Black Caffeine Free
- PUMPSURGE Caffeine-Free Pre Workout Non Stimulant
- Cellucor, NO3 Chrome Nitric Oxide Preworkout
- Controlled Labs Purple Wraath
- PEScience High Volume Caffeine Free Pump Pre Workout
Pros and Cons of Including Caffeine in a Pre Workout
No doubt, many gym goers swear by caffeine and can not imagine a pre workout without it.
But there are also those who just don’t want the caffeine.
Maybe it gives them the jitters, or they work out late at night and need to sleep and recover after the workout.
You may be surprised to know that caffeine can work against the other ingredients in a pre workout too.
Many ingredients in popular pre workout supplements are there to increase pumps, muscle volume via hydration, boost nitric oxide and create a vascular look.
Hydration requires you to retain water and the vascularity comes from dilated blood vessels.
Caffeine is a diuretic and will cause you to shed water, so it may counter the volumizing effect of your pre workout.
Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor – meaning is decreasing the size of veins, making you look less vascular, so it may be countering all those ingredients in your pre workout intended to create a vascular look.
You paid good money for those ingredients, and you probably want them to work, right?
So then why do SO MANY pre workouts have caffeine?
Because caffeine feels awesome (to some, not all).
It gives you energy, motivation, focus. It puts you in a better mood. It makes you want to get out there and work.
These characteristics help tremendously as you power through your workout.
If the caffeine is gone, will the magic be lost?
Not to fear, these supplement companies are smart.
The best pre workout without caffeine include ingredients that improve mood and focus, without ingredients that keep you awake all night or turn you into a nervous wreck.
I have looked at as many pre-workouts as I could get my eyeballs on and zeroed in on some key ingredients used by the best.
Some are for focus, others mood, some are for pumps and NO boost, while others build a mind-muscle connection.
I have quickly described 16 of these ingredients in the next section.
The More You Know: Pre Workout Ingredients You Should Take Note Of
If you have been researching pre workouts you may begin to notice some have certain ingredients in common.
Your inquiring mind may be asking why?
What properties do these ingredients have that make them worth including in one pre-workout supplement after another?
- Arginine nitrate an amino acid bonded to a nitrate group that aids in promoting muscle growth and increases vascularity. Prolongs pumps, even toward the end of the workout. One of the best, longest lasting pump ingredients you will find in a pre workout.
- Agmatine sulfate. Derived from arginine, agmatine sulfate helps promote Nitric oxide production, enhance performance and improve mood. Double duty sup here, highly recommended ingredient.
- Astragalus – said to increase Nitric Oxide, which increases pumps, or muscle size after lifting. It widens arteries and increases glucose uptake into the muscle, making muscles look larger.
- Taurine This amino acid is included in several pre workouts as it is thought to help the muscle hold water and increase volume. It may also help with increasing muscle strength.
- Tyrosine is a precursor to dopamine and may help you focus better during your gym session. It may also improve your mood. A nice, not too stimulating, alternative to caffeine. I use this and really like it, but you may need to cycle to decrease tolerance.
- Huperzine A. Inhibits an enzyme that degrades acetylcholine. Acetylcholine facilitates the mind muscle connection and may help with focus and clarity.
- Theobromine a gentle stimulant derived from Cocoa, may increase energy and improve humor. May also dilate blood vessels and increase nitric oxide. It is a mild stimulant, not as powerful as caffeine. It is found in chocolate and may be the reason chocolate is so addicting.
- Rhodiloa Rosea found in several pre workout formulations, this ayurvedic herb that may increase endurance, reducing stress and warding off fatigue.
- L-Citrulline increases levels of L-Arginine, which is a strong signaler of nitric oxide.
- Hydromax Glycerol is a newer pre workout ingredient is becoming quite popular because it is shown to increase pumps and muscle volume. Hydromax is a brand name for a concentrated form of glycerol commonly found in workout supps. Hydromax delivers 65% glycerol. Glycerol is very hydrating and can increase body fluid by up to 750 ml.
- Creatine Monohydrate Increases lean muscle mass and facilitates water retention inside the muscle. See our excellent guide to creatine for more info.
- Caffeine -Yes, I realize this is a list of low or no caffeine supplements, but I just want to point out that it may be a good move to exclude caffeine in the pre workout since it is actually a vasoconstrictor and can work against the ingredients that cause pumps. While caffeine is well known for giving energy, it may not necessarily give you the performance benefits you are after.
- Choline Bitartrate- is a direct precursor to acetylcholine which may enhance the mind to muscle connection.
- Alpha GPC- another precursor to acetylcholine that is water soluble and easily crosses the BBB.
- Acetyl L-Carintine- ALCAR Thought to improve focus and the nerve connection to your muscles.
- Bacopa Extract- said to aid in focus, always a good thing to have when powering through your routine.
TOP 13 Best Low & Non Caffeine Pre Workout Reviews 2018
Don’t hesitate to pick up one of these low or no caffeine Pre workouts today.
Drop me a line in the comments below and let me know what your favorite stim free pre workout or best pre workout without caffeine is and maybe I will add it to the list.
Thanks for stopping by.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the newsletter for more gym related content.