TOP 8 Best Reflex Bags for Your Home Boxing Gym 2022
Garagegympower is reader-supported. When you purchase through links in our articles, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
You want to get better at slipping a jab, get quicker on your feet, and improve your aim, but there is no one around to hold the pads for you? Take heart, there is a solution! The best reflex bags allow you to train in your home gym and improve your footwork, speed, timing, precision, and more.
We searched everywhere and came up with a list of the 8 best reflex bags for your home gym, starting with the best ones first.
What to consider when buying a Reflex Bag
- Price: When buying a reflex bag, the first thing you should consider is how much you are willing to spend. Prices vary widely, depending on the size, quality, and other factors.
- Height: Almost all bags can be adjusted in height, just make sure that the model you choose can be adjusted to your specific needs (the ball should be placed at your chin level).
- Weight: The weight of the base will impact how stable it is, and the weight of the ball will impact its resistance.
- Spring Location: When the spring is at the bottom, the rebound action will be slower, and the bag easier to hit. If a bag has the spring at the top, the movements will be small but really quick. Which one you should pick depends on your experience, as well as your preferred training method.
- User Ratings and Tests: When buying any new equipment, you should always check its user reviews and read tests if possible, as those will give you a good picture of the usefulness and durability of your chosen model.
This is how we select and evaluate products on GGP
In this article, we review a number of popular products that we have found using in-depth research and analysis work. The products you find in the article are sold by one or more of our partners. Although these partnerships may influence the range of products in the article, our recommendations are based on an overall assessment of the product.
We evaluate and compare products in the article based on:
- Official and impartial product tests
- Customer reviews and opinions about the product
- Data on user behavior and preferences
- Specifications, characteristics, and disadvantages of the product
- Guarantees, service, and reputation of the dealer
Apart from that, we compare the price and quality of each product and deliver our subjective assessments and recommendations to our readers. The position of the product in the list does not necessarily reflect its quality, as all the products we review are picked as the best choice for certain users.
Ringside Fitness Reflex Bag- Perfect for novice boxers and fitness enthusiasts
A solid reflex training bag, great for any apartment or home gym, and a great buy for the money.
- Mimics the movement of an actual opponent
- Made of easy to clean synthetic leather
- The bag's height can be easily adjusted
- This bag's height can be easily adjusted between 49"-69"
- The plastic base tank can be filled with up to 125 pounds of water or 240 pounds of sand
- Mimics the movement of an actual opponent via the specifically-placed chrome spring
- Made of easy to clean durable synthetic leather
Garage Gym Power's Takeaway
This reflex bag is a great option for beginners and enthusiasts alike, as it’s durable, adjustable, and very versatile. A great piece of equipment at a great price!
Pros and cons for Ringside Fitness Reflex Bag
- Height adjustable up to 69”.
- Base can be filled up to 140 lbs.
- Spring placed on bottom to mimic opponent’s body movement.
- The spring loosens from time to time and must be tightened.
What you need to know about the Ringside Fitness Reflex Bag
Develop timing, footwork, and getting proper distance with this high-quality faux leather reflex bag by Ringside. This bag has the spring at the bottom, so the bag and pole are pushed down as you punch, leaving you with time to duck and dodge as the bag comes back up. This style reflex bag is designed to mimic the movement of an opponent’s body, training you to be fast on your feet.
The plastic base tank can be filled with up to 125 pounds of water or 240 pounds of sand, providing you with a lot of stability. Since it can be filled with water, it’s also a great portable option, and can be stored away wherever, making it a great option for smaller spaces.
Customers praise it for its stability and durability. The ball itself is not that heavy, so for professionals, it might not be the best option out there, but for beginners and intermediate-level athletes it’s a great buy!
- Outer Material : Faux Leather
- Dimensions: 25 x 12 x 25 inches
- Height: 49"-69"
- Base Tank Weight: up to 240 lbs
Ringside Cobra Reflex Bag- Extremely durable Reflex Bag
NEW version is now made with stronger steel creating an indestructible weld. Made for the gym or home use. Ringside heard your feedback and revamped this product by increasing the quality and strength of the steel to create an indestructible punching bag.
- Industrial quality steel alloy spring
- Adjustable height from 5' to 7'
- New, upgraded version
- Made of strong industrial quality steel alloy spring for fast action punching.
- The solid steel body can withstand the most rigorous gym use and is adjustable from 5' to 7' high .
- Fill base tank with 140 lbs. of water or sand.
- Perfect for a great cardio fitness boxing workout.
- NEW version now made with stronger steel creating an indistructaqble weld.
Garage Gym Power's Takeaway
The new version has been tried and tested with no issues. Sharpen your punches with the best reflex punching bag in Cobra Style for fast action you can get. Compared to its predecessor, it’s even more durable and is designed to withstand daily exercising, while also being quite compact and therefore able to fit into every home gym.
Pros and cons for Ringside Cobra Reflex Bag
- Higher placed spring, cobra style bag is fast and has swift recoil.
- Height adjustable up to 5’ 7”.
- Foam-filled punching bag.
- Not for power punches.
What you need to know about the Ringside Cobra
The Ringside Cobra reflex bag, in contrast to the standard ringside reflex bag, is a fast action bag that trains for speed. This is because the spring is placed higher than the standard bag, so only the upper portion moves when you hit. The spring is industrial grade and provides a rapid recoil of the bag, allowing you to improve hand-eye coordination and develop lightning reflexes.
The base can be filled with either water (140 lbs) or sand (280lbs), making it both versatile and stable enough even for stronger punches. The height is adjustable as well – 5 to 7 feet.
Existing users are quite satisfied with the performance of the Ringside Cobra, confirming that it is very durable, versatile and also designed to fit into pretty much every home gym.
While a cobra bag is very speedy and stands on its own, nothing quite beats a speed bag when it comes to training for swiftness. Round out your home boxing gym with one of the best speed bags money can buy. You will be glad you did!
- Dimensions: 14 x 14 x 50 inches
- Outer Material : Faux Leather
- Weight: up to 280 lbs
Hyperflex Strike Bag- Designed for reflex workout
This bag is designed for agility, getting your feet moving, training you to move your body in response to the bag, and can be set up for speed training as well. The most flexible reflex bag with dual springs and three flexibility settings for lots of action.
- High density plastic base
- Designed for reflex workout
- Allows for easy movement around target
- High density plastic base; Designed for reflex workout
- Speed Flex - setting is best for fast punches, combinations, and reflexes
- Straight Flex - setting is best for punch techniques, agility, defense, footwork, and timing
- Dual Hyperflex individual locking springs provide three workout settings for comprehensive punching, reflex, and cardio workouts
Garage Gym Power's Takeaway
The punch-bag design allows for easy movement around the target, increasing cardio, leg conditioning, and hand-eye coordination. On top of that, the dual hyperflex individual locking springs provide 3 workout settings for comprehensive punching, reflex, and cardio workouts. It’s the most versatile reflex bag at an amazing price and therefore our Editor’s Choice.
Pros and cons for Hyperflex Strike Bag
- Three adjustable flex settings.
- Includes both a base spring and neck spring for varied challenges.
- Foam bag, no need to inflate.
- Base is on the lighter end.
- This reflex bag, like most, is NOT designed for power punching.
What you need to know about the Hyperflex Strike Bag
The Everlast Hyperflex bag is the style of reflex bag with the spring at the bottom so the bag and pole move at the same time, but it also has a neck spring. The high-density plastic base weighs approx 70 lbs when filled with water, and twice as much when filled with sand. A bit on the lighter end, true, but it’s should still provide enough stability for a good workout session.
The height is adjustable as well – the reflex bag is 63″ tall at the highest setting
What really elevates this bag is its versatility. This bag has two springs and three adjustable settings.
- Speed flex which allows only the neck to move is used for speed training.
- Straight flex allows the base spring only to move for training combos and techniques.
- Hyperflex which both neck spring and base spring move for training agility and footwork.
Users say that it’s also super easy to assemble and fun to use. Thanks to the multiple settings it offers, you can get a lot of different trainings out of one piece of equipment, which is great, especially if you do not have too much space to spare.
- Dimensions: 30.7 x 19.7 x 20.9 inches
- Material: Nylon
- Base weight: up to 140 lbs
Everlast Freestanding Reflex Bag- Best Reflex Bag for training Agility
This reflex bag will help you build the stamina, coordination and endurance you need to go the distance in the ring. It has a spring near the bottom, so the bag and pole move together, acting like the moves of a real opponent backing away and then coming back at you.
- helps develop speed and accuracy
- Easy-to-fill base
- Adjustable height
Garage Gym Power's Takeaway
Best freestanding reflex bag in the budget price range, good for cardio and increasing coordination and staying power. It can take quite a beating, and the positioning of the spring makes it a great choice even for more experienced users.
Pros and cons for Everlast Freestanding Reflex Bag
- Height adjustable up to 64 “.
- Includes foam guard under bag to protect hands from misses.
- Spring near the bottom mimics opponent backing off then coming back at you.
- The bag may come loose after a while and come off the pole.
What you need to know about the Everlast Freestanding Reflex Bag
The name everlast has been a synonym for boxing since the 1910s. The company produces a wide range of boxing equipment, not only at affordable prices but also with the needs of this specific sport in mind, and this reflex bag is the best example of that.
It’s a compact, but robust, piece of equipment that helps develop speed, timing, and punching accuracy, by mimicking the movements of a real opponent. This realistic training helps you improve timing and footwork, and it makes a fun, cardiovascular workout.
You can fill the base easily with 60 lbs of water or with sand, which will be approx. twice as heavy. This will provide enough stability for most average-sized people. It is compact and hardly takes up any space when you are not using it, making it great for an apartment or small home gym.
- Dimensions: 19.5 x 19 x 10 inches
- Outer Material : Faux Leather
- Base Weight: up to 120 lbs
MaxxMMA Cobra Reflex Bag Kit 2.0- Best for Advanced Training
This cobra style punching bag will help you do countless drills, be it that you’re into boxing, MMA, or Muay Thai. On top of that the kit also includes a lot of accessories to get you started right away.
- Includes two different sized bags
- High-grade PU bags
- Hand Wrap Gel Gloves included
- Advanced model includes two different size bags different tension setting for the ultimate workout to improve punching accuracy, timing and overall cardio training
- Height adjustable 52 inch - 65 inch suitable for different individuals
- Core Weight Bag for extra stability and can also function as a workout bag
- Steel rod construction along with high-grade PU bags with inner bladder design
- English (Publication Language)
Garage Gym Power's Takeaway
The MaxxMMA reflex cobra-style bag comes with a lot of extras making it a good value. MaxMMA claims that it is the only cobra bag on the market that lets you adjust reflex speed and range. The kit also includes two different-sized bags that will allow you to adjust your workout even more, which also makes it a great choice for advanced athletes.
Pros and cons for MaxxMMA Cobra Reflex Bag Kit 2.0
- Adjustable speed with 4 speed levels available.
- Height adjustable up to 65”.
- Includes core weight bag which can add weight and stability to the base.
- Best to fill with sand because some have problems with leaking and stability using wa
- Not designed to be hit really hard.
What you need to know about the MaxxMMA
The MaxxMMA reflex bag is a cobra-style bag with the spring placed towards the middle. This means the action is much faster than a traditional reflex bag, so it trains you for speed and agility.
The base can be filled with water or sand – we would recommend you fill it with sand, as that will provide you with a lot more stability. You can even put weighted plates onto the base to make it more steady. This bag, unlike others, has a speed adjustment so you can make it faster or slower depending on your particular training goals. It also comes with a core bag, which can add stability or be used on its own for training.
- Dimensions: 20.25 x 20 x 18 inches
- Outer Material: PU
MaxxMMA Speed-Adjustable Reflex Bag- Perfect for stress relief, workout session and MMA training
This low-priced has an inflatable bag, and is a pretty lightweight reflex bag designed for cardio, speed and agility training, but not meant for power punching.
- Adjustable free standing reflex bag
- ONE YEAR Replacement Guarantee
- Durable stand and a heavy-duty base
- 【Speed Adjustable】Exclusive Patented Speed-Adjustable free standing reflex bag. The slow mode is perfect for beginnners, and the fast mode is great for even coaches.
- 【Height Adjustable】The height of the punching ball stand can be easily adjusted from 48 inches to 61.5 inches. Our pedestal punching ball is perfect for kids 6 and up, youth, teens, adults, men and women, one gear for your whole falmily.
- 【Improved Punching Ball】2020 Updated Version with better material for inflatable punching ball, ONE YEAR Replacement Guarantee. 【Complete Boxing Set 】Our full punching bag set is extremely easy to set up. The inflatable punching ball Speed Bag comes with a durable base, spring loaded adjustable shaft and inflation pump for your boxing ball.
- 【Spring 120,000 Times Bending Test】Our speed punching bag uses top-quality PVC, chrome-plating steel, and the spring passes the test of bending 120,000 times. Durable and Stable, perfect for stress relief, workout session and MMA training.
- 【Large Capacity Base】The boxing bag come with a highly durable stand and a heavy-duty base. The plastic base tank can be filled with up to 30 pounds of water or 55 pounds of sand.
Garage Gym Power's Takeaway
This model is adjustable in speed and can be slower or faster depending on your personal needs. It’s a starter reflex bag that is adjustable up to 61.5 inches in height and the perfect choice for beginners or light training. It is very affordable and easy to store out of the way, making it a good choice for an apartment or small home gym.
Pros and cons for MaxxMMA Speed-Adjustable Reflex Bag
- Adjustable height up to 61.5 inches.
- Speed is adjustable.
- Inflation pump included for the bag.
- Bag tends to deflate with time.
What you need to know about the MaxxMMA Speed-Adjustable Freestanding Reflex Bag
A good budget reflex bag that is compact and speed adjustable. It’s very similar to the previously managed one, but is a bit more affordable which might be a better option for beginners who just want to try this type of workout without having to spend a lot of money.
The height of the punching ball stand can be easily adjusted from 48 inches to 61.5 inches, so most people will be able to use it properly. One gear for your whole family. The plastic base tank can be filled with up to 30 pounds of water or 55 pounds of sand, providing you with enough stability if you are a beginner.
If you are tight on space but need to practice your boxing skills at home, but still want to be able to place some hard punches, then take a look at this list of the best punching bags for apartments as those might be a better option that this reflex bag.
- Dimensions: 21.5 x 18 x 6.5 inches
- Material: Synthetic Leather
- Base Weight: up to 55 lbs
Tech Tools Boutmaster Reflex Bag- Best for Beginners and Teens
This inexpensive reflex bag is good for lighter, smaller boxers and those who want a cardio workout but it is not designed to be hit with a lot of force, which makes it the perfect pick for teens and beginners.
- Includes everything you need for a session
- Designed for optimal and safe use
- Easily adjustable to fit everyone’s needs
- 👊 PRO BOXING BAG "BOXING GLOVES NOT INCLUDED": Our punching bag set is super easy to set up and includes everything you need for a boxing session. The Solid EVA Foam Punching Ball comes with a durable base, spring loaded adjustable shaft, Boxing gloves not included.
- 👊 SPRINGS BACK IN PLACE WITH EASE: Designed for optimal and safe use, our free standing kickboxing bag features a strong, durable spring at the base of the shaft. This allows the spring mounted punching bag to bounce back into position every time after every hit.
- 👊 ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT STAND FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE: The height of the punching ball stand is adjustable from 49 inches to 63 inches to suit personal preferences. Easily adjustable to fit everyone’s needs, our reflex punching ball is perfect for teens 14 and up, youth, adults, men and women to engage in a supreme boxing session.
- 👊 PERFECT FOR STRESS RELIEF, WORKOUT SESSIONS & MMA TRAINING: Put on a pair Boxing Gloves (Not Included) and safely knock out your frustrations or switch up your fitness regime with our punching ball set. It will help raise your heart rate for a great workout while helping you develop timing, speed and accuracy of hand and eye coordination.
- 👊 PREMIUM QUALITY – STABLE & DURABLE: Constructed with attention to detail and top quality materials to ensure durability and longevity, Simply fill the freestanding heavy duty base with 66lbs of water or 100lbs sand for stability.
Garage Gym Power's Takeaway
With the TechTools Punching Ball Set, you will receive everything you need for a great boxing session. The bag and pole move together, encouraging you to move around quite a bit. If you are looking for a reflex bag to help you break a sweat and burn calories, this is a good choice.
Pros and cons for Tech Tools Boutmaster Reflex Bag
- Height adjustable up to 63”.
- Bottom spring means both bag and pole move, mimicking opponent body movement.
- Very affordable.
- Not designed to be hit too hard.
What you need to know about the Boutmaster
Constructed with attention to detail and top-quality materials to ensure durability and longevity, this reflex bag is a great choice for everyone looking for a good cardio workout, especially so for beginners and teens.
It provides a fun workout, that improves hand-eye coordination, sharpens reflexes, and helps build speed. The height is adjustable, so it works for different people with different builds.
The base is easy to fill with water or sand and provides enough stability for an average-sized person, while the ball itself is light enough to be safe for kids and teens to use. It’s also a compact piece of equipment, that fits into most spaces and is great for practicing boxing, MMA or even kickboxing.
- Height: 48" - 58"
- Base Weight: up to 100 lbs
Title Boxing Lightning Strike Pro - Reflex Bag for Gym or Home Use
Industrial steel tubular construction manufactured for world champions and fitness boxers alike, this piece of equipment is built top last!
- With spinning rapid-reflex bar
- Perfectly accommodates every size athlete
- Adjusts simply with a secure turn knob
- The spinning rapid-reflex bar is constructed of padded stainless steel with sealed encased precision bearings
- The paddle target is padded steel and the spring mounted striking ball is a dense molded foam that makes them ideal for all punches, strikes and combinations
- With the Tri-Bag you can perfect your punching speed, precision, slipping, blocking, bob and weave, defense, jabs, power punches, combinations, and more
- Simply fill the base with approximately 250 lbs. of water or sand, assemble and the bag is ready for action
- Comes complete with rubber suction cups on the bottom of the base for additional stability
Garage Gym Power's Takeaway
This Title Boxing Lightning Strike Pro bag is not the cheapest on the market, but it is one of the fastest and best out there. It does not have a cheap inflatable bag. It is made from high-quality dense foam and the spring it is set on is higher up, like a Cobra bag. This means it rebounds very quickly, making for a challenging training session. If you need to train and improve the speed of your reflexes, get this bag, you will not be disappointed.
Pros and cons for Title Boxing Lightning Strike Pro
- Lightning fast, thanks to a higher placed spring.
- Mid-density sponge rubber filled striking bag, durable, no bladder to fill.
- Adjustable up to 72”.
What you need to know about the Title Reflex Bag
This reflex bag is manufactured using high-quality materials and can withstand the strongest hits, even from professionals. It is one of the most expensive items on our list, but it’s money well spent, as this is a professional quality reflex bag.
What sets it apart from most other reflex bags, is the rapid-reflex bar that offers a different workout experience than the other models on our list. It’s also a lot more stable, weighing around 250 lbs, it can handle punches from pretty much anyone.
The paddle target is padded steel and the spring-mounted striking ball is a dense molded foam that makes them ideal for all punches, strikes and combinations. With the Tri-Bag you can perfect your punching speed, precision, slipping, blocking, bob and weave, defense, jabs, power punches, combinations, and more.
- Outer Material : Rubber
- Item Weight: 250 Pounds
Buying Guide to the Best Reflex Bags
Reflex bags and Cobra bags have their place in boxing training. Reflex bags are tools you use to improve, just like the heavy bag, speed bag, double end bag, jump rope, sparring with a partner, and actual boxing matches.
In order to get the best out of your workout, it’s important to pick the right one for your needs. Keep these 4 factors in mind when you choose the best reflex bag for your home gym, and you will not be led astray.
How High or Tall Does This Bag Get?
The height of the bags on this list of best reflex bags range from 60 inches high, all the way up to 72” adjustable height.
I know it may seem obvious, but the taller the bag can get, the more folks it will work for.
I have also discovered through my research that max height is an indication of quality – in other words, bags that adjust taller are also better quality reflex bags.
What’s the Bag Made of? Inflatable or Dense Foam?
Most reflex bags are made of dense foam rubber covered in a PVC, Vinyl or faux leather type material. These are fine.
The foam bag head is far better than an inflatable bag head because it will not pop, deflate and never needs to be inflated.
I recommend you stick with a reflex bag with a dense foam rubber punching bag and avoid inflatable bags.
How Heavy is the Base?
Most of the bags in this list of best reflex bags can be filled with either sand or water. Sand is best, and if you use sand, fill it up and then go back and add water to create even more weight.
A decent reflex bag will have a base of at least 130 lbs or more.
Reflex bags are not designed for heavy hitting, so the base does not need to be as heavy as a base for a free-standing heavy bag, but you still need some substance in the base to support it.
What is the Bag Style, Cobra or Standard Reflex Bag?
Standard Reflex Bag
Standard reflex bags have a spring near the bottom of the pole. The bag and pole bot bend down together, mimicking the body movements of an opponent as he backs off and comes back at you.
A standard reflex bag movement is slower than a cobra bag.
This type of bag is good for training counters, or someone countering you. The reflex bag is also good for judging distance, ducking and dodging, footwork, timing a precision.
The cobra bag has a spring that is near the middle of the pole or higher. When you hit a cobra bag it files back at you with much more speed than a standard reflex bag.
A cobra bag is designed for training speed. Just take a look at up and coming athlete Ryan Garcia here.
What does a Reflex Bag do for You?
A reflex bag will help you train for speed, accuracy, footwork, ducking and dodging, slipping jabs, reacting, countering and much more.
Just take a look at Canelo training with a reflex bag and no doubt you will see the value of this boxing training tool.
What is the difference between a Reflex Bag and a Cobra Reflex Bag?
Standard Reflex Bag
A standard reflex bag is mounted on a pole. When you hit a standard reflex bag, the bag and pole bend at the spring together in one motion.
It has the spring toward the bottom and moves a little slower to whip back up than a cobra bag.
A cobra bag is a small punching bag mounted on a pole.
A Cobra bag has the spring towards the middle of the pole and moves a lot faster, making it more challenging. Cobra bags train for speed, timing, precision, dodging a punch and moving your feet.
What is the difference between a Cobra Reflex Bag and a Speed Bag? What is the difference between a Cobra Reflex Bag and a Speed Bag?
A Cobra bag is mounted on a pole. It has a spring in the middle of the pole. You hit the bag and the bag returns quickly. A cobra bag is fast, but it’s not quite as fast as a speed bag.
Also, with the cobra bag, it sits at or below head level, so you are landing punches out front.
A speed bag mounts to a speed bag platform and as you hit the bag, the bag rebounds off the platform.
It moves much faster than the cobra bag. Also, it is usually mounted higher than a cobra bag stands, so it trains you to hit at or above head level.
Looking for a great speed bag? You should pick one up. No boxing home gym is complete without one. Here is a list of the best speed bags I could find.
And we are out for the count…
I hope you got what you came for. The best reflex bag for your home boxing gym will make such a great addition. Don’t wait, you will be glad you picked one up!
Do you like boxing gear reviews and news?
Sign up for the Garage Gym Power newsletter and stay in the loop!