Can I ask you a question?
Where are you going fitness wise and what are your health goals?
Most of us have some idea of what our fitness ideal is, but for many, it is a struggle to achieve our ideal.
Are you moving forward towards your fitness goal today?
An elliptical trainer can be a great addition to your home gym routine because it has the potential to offer an excellent cardio workout from the ease and comfort of your own home.
Having an elliptical trainer in your home means no excuses!
In addition to that, a well-built machine is easy on the joints and very low impact, making it the perfect cardio for those with joint or health issues.
- What is the Best Elliptical Machine?
- TOP 11 Elliptical Machines on the Market 2018
- Octane Fitness Q37x Elliptical Machine
- Schwinn 470 Elliptical Machine
- SOLE E55 Elliptical
- AFG Sport 5.9AE Elliptical
- ProForm Cardio HIIT Elliptical Trainer
- Octane Fitness XT4700 Commercial Grade Elliptical Trainer
- Horizon Fitness Evolve 3 Elliptical Trainer
- NordicTrack Spacesaver SE9i Elliptical Trainers
- Body Solid E300 Endurance Elliptical Trainer
- Nautilus E614 Elliptical Machine
- XTERRA Fitness FS5.9e Elliptical Trainer
- So what are you waiting for?
However, I must warn you:
Not all elliptical machines offer these benefits.
A poorly designed elliptical with shoddy quality can add up to an unpleasant experience. You may feel kickback, shifting or “walking” of the machine or simply feel unstable and insecure using the machine if it is to light and flimsy.
The Worst Case?
Al elliptical trainer with bad design can cause Joint problems or injury if it does not have an ergonomic design!
- Hand rails that have you hunched over kills the back.
- Pedals that are too far apart wreak havoc on the knees and hips.
- An elliptical trainer without the proper safety features can injure you, your pets, or your children too.
What is the Best Elliptical Machine?
Choosing the right elliptical machine from among all the types of elliptical machines available is challenging.
We will walk you thru the process of choosing the right machine, what features the top rated elliptical machines have, and round it out with a review of 11 of our favorite elliptical machine reviews.
Benefits of Elliptical Machines
The Benefits of an elliptical trainer are:
- Cardio workout that is Low impact, easy on the joints
- Easy to incorporate into a home gym, quiet and space efficient
- Full body workout with both arms and legs involved in the motion
Plus there are many more you will find out about yourself during your workouts.
Why elliptical machines so great for a home Gym?
Low Impact Easy on the joints
Elliptical trainers can be used by everyone in the family, even those in their golden years can enjoy the Zero impact workout the elliptical machine offers.
Many models fold up and store away for those in tight quarters.
These days, elliptical trainers are loaded with onboard entertainment features so your workout will fly by as you read, surf the net, listen to music, or even ride through the streets of Paris. (If your machine is equipped with the iFit app)
What to look for in a Good Elliptical Machine
Stride Length and Height of users:
Look for a unit that has a stride length of at least 20”, which will accommodate taller folks. Shorter strides may cause kickback and poor ergonomics, particularly for those who are taller.
Frame and Pedal Height:
Consider the ability of the user. How high can they step up? Some machines have pedals that are lower to the ground than others so look for step height, and step-ups of the machine. Also, front wheel drive machines are often easier to get on and off of.
This is where cheap machines and well-made machines vary significantly. The flywheel is what helps the machine run smooth and quiet. Look for one that weighs at least 23 lbs. Any less then that and the machine will feel unstable and you may feel unsafe riding it.
How to choose the best elliptical machine for you
- Is it a Smooth ride?
- Do your Heels stay down?
- Does it have a kick or bounce? (hint: it should not)
- Is it Comfortable to use?
- Does it feel solid with no vibration?
- Is it quiet?
- Do you feel any friction while riding?
- Does it have Steel Bearings-NOT plastic bearings
- What about the wheels? Size matters- If the machine has wheels, larger dual wheels that rest securely in a rail are preferable.
Display and monitor Features you may want:
- Does it have a quick start button so you can hop on and get to it?
- What is the Display: LCD? some have dual, some are covered by a tablet, others not
- Pre-programmed workouts- how many are there. Can you program a custom routine?
- Does it track calorie, stride, time, and distance
- Resistance Levels, how many are there. Should be at least 20.
- Does it incorporate software to track your metrics and reach goals? There are models that integrate with MyfitnessPal and iFit
- Automatic shutoff feature, like sleep mode, this feature saves energy and shuts the console off after a period of inactivity
Personal Comfort and convenience features
Do you need?
- Cup holders
- Built-in Fan
- USB Charging Port
- Tablet Shelf
- MP3 Jack
- Headphone jack
Exercise Specific Features
Be on the lookout for:
- Incline Ramp
- Touch and telemetry heart rate Monitor
- Preset routines
- At least 20 resistance levels
Pedals are one of the most important components of an elliptical machine. Check for these features before you buy.
- No slip surface
- Locking pedals
- Incline adjustment for foot pedal
Q Factor: The Q factor is also known as the distance between the pedals. How far apart are the pedals? Pedals that are far apart are awkward to use and cause stress on the hip and knee joints. They are often not ergonomically correct.
Articulating pedals: Pedals that articulate, or move with your foot, offer better ergonomics and a more natural stride that works with your body mechanics.
Avoid models with fixed pedals. Your knees and ankles will thank you!
Handles: You should be able to stand in a vertical position while using the handles.
The handles should not pull you down or cause you to bend over while using them.
Multiple Grip positions: Allows you to change where you grip, and work the arm muscles in different areas.
Elliptical trainers have a lot of moving parts that pets or children can be hurt by.
Covered Flywheel – this rapidly moving wheel weighs over 20 lbs and can really injure a child or pet. The best rated elliptical machines for home use have this hefty wheel fully encased and out of harms way.
Weight Limit – many models max out at three hundred pounds. If you need a higher weight limit, there are a few models available with a limit of 325 or 400, so be sure to look for those.
Front or rear drive, + other space considerations
Front wheel drive elliptical trainers are sometimes more compact, plus they are easier to get on and off of.
Folding: There are 3 or four machines in our elliptical machine reviews that include folding, and thereby space saving models
There is also one elliptical/stepper model with a very small footprint you might consider if you are looking for a space saving elliptical.
Your height and machine Stride Length
Longer stride machines are better for tall folks. Look for a machine with at least a 20” stride. Any shorter is asking for trouble.
Short strides make a machine feel jerky and rough, and will not allow the body to move through a full range of motion.
How many people will be using the machine?
Consider the weight and height of all people who will be using the machine. Machines have weight limits and specific strides, and the machine needs to work for all riders. Consider step height for older riders.
Some machines save user settings, usually between 2 to 4 can be saved on one elliptical machine console. If this is important to you and your family, be on the lookout for one with enough user setting profiles.
Without further ado….
….Here are our favorite elliptical trainers. We chose 11 that we know you will love.
TOP 11 Elliptical Machines on the Market 2018
Our Pick for the best affordable elliptical
Our Pick for the top rated home elliptical machine
Our pick for the best elliptical under 1000 dollars
Ouu… So you enjoy HIIT? Here’s something for you then.
However, if you are one of those people, who like to use high-end machines, you might want to take a better look at the next one.
Good home gym equipment is all about giving you enough space. This machine does just that!
Here’s something similar! Another good option when you want to save some space.
Still not impressed?
Let’s move on then!
Keep things simple and make the best of what you have. This is how we would describe our next pick.
There’s one more to look at.
And it’s this beautiful machine!
So what are you waiting for?
Get back on track with your fitness goals and reclaim your health.
Purchase an elliptical trainer for your home workout today and ‘stride’ toward your goal with ease.
Of course, if you have any more questions about this equipment or if there is anything you would like to say, leave a comment below or feel free to contact us!
Remember, that your health matters. So take care of it!