TOP 15 Best Pea Protein Powders of 2023 Reviewed (Buyer’s Guide)
With literally hundreds of different options, it’s challenging to decide on a pea protein powder that’s cost-effective.
After learning that pea protein was a good alternative to whey, I wanted to figure out what options were available and which were worth considering.
Through that process, I found 15 pea protein powders that are good options based on your needs and budget.
To come, we’ll go over 15 of the best pea protein powders and also cover what’s essential when it comes to making a pea protein buying decision. From there, I’ll discuss answers to some of the most important pea protein questions you might ask.
- TOP 15 Best Pea Protein Powders of 2023
- Bob’s Red Mill Pea Protein Powder
- EarthChimp Plant-Based Protein Powder
- Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Pea Protein
- Smart138 100% Pure Pea Protein
- Source Organic Premium Pea Protein Isolate
- Genius Vegan Protein Powder
- Aspen Naturals Organic Pea Protein Powder
- Judee’s Gluten Free Pea Protein Powder
- Nutricost Organic Pea Protein Isolate
- JustPea Pea Protein Powder
- Vegansmart Plant Based Protein Powder
- KOS Organic Plant Protein Powder
- Naked Nutrition Pea Protein Powder
- True Nutrition Pea Protein Isolate
- Olympian Labs Pure Pea Protein
- Pea Protein Buyer’s Guide Essentials
- Pea Protein Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Thoughts
TOP 15 Best Pea Protein Powders of 2023
Bob’s Red Mill Pea Protein Powder
Review: Bob’s Red Mill pea protein isolate is a sound option when it comes to pea protein powder because of its simplicity.
With 21g of pea protein isolate per serving as its only ingredient, you’re getting pure pea protein without fillers and artificial sweeteners.
Also, since it’s unflavored, it’s an excellent option for mixing in smoothies or even whole foods like oatmeal or yogurt.
At only 1lb. per package, it’s a bit pricier than some other options.
- Only contains pea protein isolate.
- Unsweetened & unflavored.
- 21g of protein per serving.
- Only 1lb. package.
- A bit pricey.
A sound choice due to its simplicity, but it’s more costly per serving than some other options.
EarthChimp Plant-Based Protein Powder
- NATURAL TASTE – Not too sweet, not artificial and so balanced even Goldie Locks would find it "just right". That's because we take our time to craft our shakes with botanical ingredients like real cocoa for a natural taste you'll love.
- NUTRITIONIST RECOMMENDED – Our organic vegan protein shake boasts 20g of plant based protein as well as Fruits, Flax, Turmeric & Cinnamon. In other words, our Irish-Made vegan shake will help you feel as good about your body as we do about the earth.
- NICE STUFF – 1 billion Probiotics, Digestive Enzymes and 4g of fiber per serving. Yay!
- VERSATILE – Whether it's a nutritious breakfast smoothie, a grab-and-go shake at work or a post-workout recovery shake... we've got you covered with 20g of vegan protein from Organic Plant based protein sources.
- NO NASTIES - Nothing that your mother warned you about.... No Added Sugar or Sugar Alcohols (Erythritol), No Gums, No Carageenan, No Added Salt, No Soya, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Lactose Free. And it's made in Ireland !
Review: EarthChimp is a superb choice for weight loss due to having 20g of protein and 4g of fiber per serving.
These two ingredients can help you feel full and satisfied, so you’re less likely to eat additional calories.
However, keep in mind that while pea protein is the primary ingredient, this is a blend, containing protein from other plant sources like pumpkin.
At 20g per serving and a 2lb. container, it’s a relatively affordable option for a pea protein powder.
- 20g of protein per serving.
- Contains 4g of fiber per serving.
- Naturally sweetened.
- Pea is not the only protein source.
This plant protein blend is an affordable option with high amounts of protein and fiber, making it the right choice for weight management.
Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Pea Protein
- Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Pea Protein Powder (80% Protein), 1.5 Pounds
- USDA Certified Organic, Non-GMO, Gluten-Free, Vegan
- Our protein powder isoltate is made from USDA certified organic yellow peas and laboratory tested for purity
- Having a minimal flavor our pea protein is perfect for post workout recovery and adding protein to recipes
- 100% Money-Back Quality Guarantee - We stand behind our products and offer a 30-day money back guarantee, backed by an outstanding customer service team.
Review: For the money, Terrasoul’s pea protein powder is one of the best organic pea protein powders available. Also, you can decide just how affordable you want it to be with different size options.
At first glance, it appears the protein per serving is low. However, by increasing the serving to 3 Tbsp., which is consistent with other protein powders, you’re bringing in 24g of protein, which is hard to find elsewhere.
Additionally, Terrasoul also supplies laboratory test results on request, which increases the reliability of their powders.
With no flavor and organic pea protein isolate as the only ingredient, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a better option.
- Low cost per serving.
- Options up to 4.5 lb. containers.
- 24g of protein per 30g serving.
- Non-GMO, gluten-free, and vegan-friendly.
- Flavorless and unsweetened.
- Manufactured in China.
Terrasoul’s organic pea protein is one of the most affordable options per gram of protein. The range of product sizes, lack of flavoring, and specific ingredient list make this a standout option.
Smart138 100% Pure Pea Protein
- Only One Ingredient // Smooth Texture 100% Yellow Pea Protein with Nothing Added.
- Made in USA // Using raw yellow peas from Canada which are processed in Canada (never China), imported to the USA for packaging.
- Designed for mixing // Our unflavored protein is most delicious when mixed with your favorite delicious beverage. Be creative, add it to a smoothie or pudding or even your morning cup of coffee!
- Smart Protein // 27g protein, No Added Sugar, No Artificial Sweeteners, Flavors, or Colors. 6.1g of naturally occurring BCAAs.
- Vegan & Vegetarian Protein // No Gluten, No Soy, No Dairy, Non-GMO. Naturally sweet unflavored pea protein is ideal for mixing with smoothies.
Review: Smart138 hit it out of the park with this pea protein powder. With 27g of pea protein isolate and upwards of 6g of BCAAs per serving, you’d be hard-pressed to find another powder with more bang for your buck.
On top of being flavorless and lacking artificial sweeteners:
This pea protein powder is sourced from Canada and packaged in the USA instead of China.
However, this pea protein does have 4g of natural sugar per serving, which is higher than many other options. If you practice keto or low carb diets, you might want to look elsewhere.
- Massive 27g of protein per serving.
- Unflavored without artificial sweeteners.
- 6g of BCAAs per serving.
- Sourced from Canada and packaged in the USA.
- Might not be gluten friendly due to being processed in a facility that handles wheat.
- 4g of natural sugar per serving, which is higher than other brands.
This pea protein is a good option due to having 27g of protein per serving. However, avoid this protein if you have a gluten intolerance, due to where it’s processed.
Source Organic Premium Pea Protein Isolate
- Only One Ingredient: Organic Yellow Pea Protein Isolate
- 22g of protein, 4.8g of BCAAs, and 2.18g of arginine per serving
- Sourced exclusively from Canadian organic farms
- No added flavors, colors, or sugars, and Allergen free
- Vegetarian and vegan friendly
Review: At 22g per serving, Source Organic’s pea protein isolate is a good option for the money.
Not to mention…
With almost no carbohydrates and 1g of fiber per serving, it’s one of the best pea protein powders for weight loss, especially if you’re looking for a single-ingredient powder.
Being organic and sourced from Canada, this unflavored and unsweetened pea protein isolate is worth considering.
- 22g of protein and 1g of fiber per serving.
- Unflavored and unsweetened.
- Sourced from Canada and packaged in the USA.
- A bit expensive.
This pea protein isolate is an excellent option for mixing with other ingredients due to being unflavored and providing 22g of protein and 1g of fiber per serving.
However, you might not enjoy the taste if you try it without other ingredients.
Genius Vegan Protein Powder
- Vegan Muscle Building Fuel*: Genius Vegan Protein by The Genius Brand is a natural, smooth, and creamy plant-based protein powder. 20 g of Pea Protein Isolate and Pumpkin Seed Protein team up with Velositol for superior protein synthesis, making lean muscle building easier than ever.* Chocolate flavor. 20 scoops per container.
- Lactose Free: Our plant protein is 100% clear of all dairy and its byproducts (like lactose). Genius Vegan Protein is made in the USA with organic, non-GMO ingredients. Free of proprietary blends, artificial flavors and sweeteners, unnecessary fillers, banned substances and gluten.
- Great Tasting: Genius Vegan Protein is void of that gritty, chalky feel associated with most plant-based proteins. This product is formulated with Clean Cream, a natural vegan-friendly creamer derived from heart-healthy fats, and Dutch Cocoa Powder for a smooth chocolate flavor you can actually enjoy.
- Great Any Time of Day: Take 1 scoop 10-60 minutes after completing your workout, or 30-60 minutes prior to working out. You may also consume throughout the day to meet your daily protein needs.
- Supplement Smarter: Genius Brand supplements are a rejection of backwards industry dogma that misled generations of health and wellness enthusiasts. For us, scientific innovation and natural ingredients come first. Whether you’re a pro athlete, stay-at-home parent, retiree, or anything in between, our products can be of benefit to you. We’re all humans, and we are in this together.
Review: Genius hit the mark with this blend providing one of the best tasting pea protein powders available.
With the intent of helping to support lean muscle mass, this vegan protein blend provides an adequate 20g dose of protein and 1.9g of fiber per serving.
However, as a blend, it contains other protein sources such as pumpkin.
Since it’s a mass building powder, this protein does contain higher amounts of fat and carbohydrates than some other options.
- 20g of protein and 19g of fiber per serving.
- Vegan and dairy-free.
- High amounts of carbs and fat.
- A plant protein blend.
If you’re on a plant-based diet and in need of a quality protein to help you build muscle mass, there are few superior options to this offering by Genius.
Aspen Naturals Organic Pea Protein Powder
- North America Sourced, 3rd Party Tested: We've traveled the country to source you the best Pea Protein Powder. We based our choice on product quality, flavor profile, 3rd party testing, and country of origin. We do not source our ingredients from China.
- Ultimate Plant Protein: This has 20 grams of protein and one of the best-known plant-based alternatives to whey. Pea protein powder offers amino acids leucine, isoleucine, and valine.
- Our Promise: Aspen Naturals Organic Pea Protein isolate is made from responsibly sourced, high quality, yellow peas and packaged in the USA. It's dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan-friendly, making it a great choice for all dietary needs. Our organic yellow pea protein has no added artificial flavors, fillers, or sugars.
- Optimal Health & Post Workout Recovery: Pea protein powder contains iron, arginine, and branched-chain amino acids. By mixing one serving of pea protein into your favorite post-workout shake or smoothie, your body gets 20g of protein and the fuel it needs. Not only for women but also for everyone!
- Post Workout Recovery: By mixing one serving of our organic pea protein into your favorite post-workout shake or smoothie, your body gets 20g of protein and the fuel it needs. Not only for women but also for everyone!
Review: With 20g of protein per serving, Aspen Naturals delivered on a high-protein, easy to digest pea protein powder.
Since the protein is sourced only from pea protein isolate, it’s great if you want something pure and without additional ingredients. Not to mention, their peas are organically sourced.
If you need an unflavored, organic pea protein isolate, this is a great choice.
- Low calorie.
- Vegan and keto-friendly.
- Only 30 servings per container.
For a relatively low cost, this protein is a good choice around the workout or as a snack due to its minimal ingredients and 20g dose of pea protein.
Judee’s Gluten Free Pea Protein Powder
- Add to your favorite yogurt, milk shakes and smoothies. 1/4 cup serving has 20g protein and 100 calories.
- Some people are sensitive to adding plant based protein to their diet. Start with 1/2 serving and work up to 1 serving when beginning to ensure you are not sensitive.
- Made in a dedicated gluten-free facility and shipped in a standup, resealable pouch to ensure freshness
- Ingredients: 100% Pea Protein Powder. Disclaimer: Peas are a legume and may induce symptoms of food allergy in sensitized individuals. Do not consume if you have a legume allergy.
- Since 2009, Judee's has been dedicated to providing fresh, allergy-conscious ingredients. We recently updated our packaging, and even though you may receive our previous design, it's the same great product inside.
Review: Judee’s Gluten Free pea protein is one of the most affordable options on this list. For a relatively low cost, you’ll get over 50 servings of 20g of protein, which is hard to come by.
On top of being unflavored and free of sweeteners, it’s also Non-GMO and gluten-free.
At just 100 calories per serving, this is a sound option if you’re looking to boost smoothies or other healthy snacks, especially if you’re also hoping to manage your body weight.
- Low cost per serving.
- 20g of protein.
- Unflavored and free of artificial sweeteners.
- Unknown source of peas.
If your budget is tight and need quality pea protein without fillers, sweeteners, or gluten, this is one of the most affordable options per serving.
Nutricost Organic Pea Protein Isolate
- Certified USDA Organic Pea Protein Powder
- 5lbs of Vegetarian Friendly Pea Protein
- 20 Grams of Pea Protein In Each Scoop (Included)
- Non-GMO, Gluten Free, 3rd Party Tested
- Made in a GMP Compliant Facility
Review: Due to an insane 95 servings per container, 20g of protein per serving, and third party testing verifying its contents, Nutricost’s organic pea protein isolate is near the top of the best pea protein powders of 2023.
Additionally, since this protein is GMP (FDA’s Good Manufacturing Practice) certified, you’ll know this product is quality.
Not to mention:
Since it’s organic, it will pair nicely with an organic pre-workout if you want to get the most out of your training.
- 95, 20g servings of protein per container.
- Third-party tested.
- GMP certified.
- One ingredient: Organic Pea Protein Isolate.
- 1g of fiber per serving.
- Cost per serving.
Nutricost left no stone unturned with their organic pea protein isolate. If you care about quality, product testing, and regulation compliance, this is your best option.
JustPea Pea Protein Powder
- 100% VEGAN AND PLANT-BASED: Pure pea protein from non-GMO yellow peas
- ACTUALLY MADE IN THE USA: Grown, processed and packaged here in America
- NO STEVIA OR ADDITIVES: Unsweetened with a clean natural taste
- TESTED FOR HEAVY METALS: High in many vegan protein powders, not in ours
- MIXES INSTANTLY: Bye-bye grittiness, hello creamy smoothness
Review: JustPea really delivers on this protein powder by providing 20g of protein and just 100 calories per serving, making it one of the best vegan options for weight management and muscle building.
The peas are grown and packaged in the USA, plus, it contains no artificial or any sweeteners for that matter. Since it’s unflavored, this pea protein will be good for adding protein into smoothies or other whole foods, like yogurt.
However, keep in mind that it’s packaged in a facility that processes other ingredients like nuts and wheat, which might be an issue for those with allergies or celiac disease.
- 20g of protein per serving.
- Sourced and packaged in the USA.
- No sweeteners of any kind.
- Pea Protein Isolate as the only ingredient.
- Not useful for those with allergies or celiac disease.
- Not organically sourced.
JustPea’s protein powder is a good choice for the money. With 20g of pea protein isolate and no fillers, you really can’t go wrong.
However, it’s best to opt for a different brand if you have allergies or celiac disease, due to their processing facility.
Vegansmart Plant Based Protein Powder
- Plant Based Protein Powder: 20g Non-GMO Protein, Vegan Certified; No Gluten, Dairy, Soy, or Cholesterol
- Meal Replacement Shake: Delicious, All In One Shake, Low Calorie, Prebiotics, Dietary Fiber, Omega 4
- Whole Food Complex: Nine Different Fruits and Vegetables; Polyphenols, Antioxidants, and Flavonoids
- 23 Vitamins and Minerals: Everyday Nutrition, Healthy Cell Function, Post Workout
- Breakfast Shake or On-The-Go: Protein Berry Granola Bowl or Shake/Blend with your Favorite Liquid
Review: If you’re in need of a quality plant protein blend with pea as the primary source, Vegansmart’s plant blend is unsurprisingly a smart choice.
With 20g of plant protein and a hefty 5g of fiber per serving, it’s a great choice, especially for weight management or even weight loss.
However, do note that despite being sourced from organic cane sugar and some other sources, this protein does contain 5g of sugar per serving, which might not be helpful if you’re low carb or even keto.
- 20g of protein per serving.
- Many flavor options.
- Different size options.
- Non-GMO and gluten-free.
- Plant protein blend.
- 5g of sugar per serving.
- Low number of servings per container.
Vegansmart’s pea protein blend is a decent choice if you’re looking for high amounts of fiber per serving. However, there are cheaper and lower-sugar options available.
KOS Organic Plant Protein Powder
- Amazing Flavor: Infused with organic Peruvian cacao, Himalayan salt, organic coconut milk, a dash of stevia & monk fruit, our award-winning protein blend is simply delicious! Add 2 scoops to cold water for tasty shakes or mix into smoothies & snacks.
- Weight Management: Great protein powder for weight loss. The soluble fiber in plant protein gives you that “full” feeling for a longer period of time. You eat less but not at the expense of calories. Still packed with 20g protein per serving.
- Complete Protein: Our USDA Organic vegan protein powder has a 5 protein blend of Pea, Flax Seed, Quinoa, Pumpkin Seed & Chia Seed + essential vitamins & minerals. Healthier than whey protein powder for both your body and the environment.
- Digestion Support: Enhanced with powerful digestion support by DigeSEB, a proprietary digestive enzyme blend. DigeSEB aids digestion & helps the body maximize absorption by embracing & capitalizing on its ingested nutrients.
- Responsibly Sourced: Nearly every ingredient is certified organic and free of gluten, dairy, soy, hormones, artificial sweeteners, colors, and GMOs. Made with USDA and CCOF certified ingredients.
Review: This protein blend by KOS is a great option if you’re looking for a wide range of protein sources beginning with pea and care about organically sourced ingredients.
Because of its healthy fat content and included fiber per serving, this protein blend is an excellent choice for the money if you happen to follow a Paleo or ketogenic diet.
This protein is a bit more expensive than other pea protein options, likely due to the variety and organic nature of this protein blend’s ingredients.
- Organically sourced ingredients.
- 20g of protein per serving.
- 2g of fiber per serving.
- Protein blend.
- A lot of ingredients.
- More fat and carbs than other options.
This plant protein blend is the right choice if taste and organic sourcing are the most important factors for you. If you’re looking for affordable pea protein, there might be better options.
Naked Nutrition Pea Protein Powder
- ONLY ONE INGREDIENT: 100% Yellow Pea Protein with zero additives. Naked Pea contains no artificial sweeteners, flavors, or colors and is GMO-Free, Soy Free and Gluten-Free.
- VEGETARIAN AND VEGAN PROTEIN POWDER: Dairy Free and made solely from raw yellow peas grown on environmentally friendly farms in both the USA and Canada.
- MAXIMUM NUTRITION: 27g of Protein, 2g of Sugar, 2g of Carbs, 120 Calories, and 5.7g of BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids) per serving.
- PROTEIN SHAKES AND RECIPES: Create pure pea protein shakes, vegan smoothies and healthy green drinks. Provide your body with the daily protein it needs by adding to tea, sauces, and other recipes.
- CLEAN MUSCLE GAINS: Now pea protein can help maintain a clean diet, but you can also use our vegan pea protein powder in pre and post workout shakes, smoothies and recipes for maximum recovery.
Review: The most attractive features of Naked Pea are the minimal ingredient list (hint: Pea protein isolate), its massive 27g of protein per serving, and different options in terms of size and flavor.
Naked pea is not only the highest protein amount per serving on this list, but it’s also low fat and low calorie, making it good for snacking or adding to whole foods.
Best of all, Naked nutrition sources peas from Canada and the USA, and their powder contains no artificial sweeteners.
- Massive 27g of pea protein per serving.
- Low fat and low calorie.
- Peas sourced from Canada and the USA.
- No artificial sweeteners.
- Different size and flavor options.
- Might not mix well.
- Relatively high cost compared to other pea proteins.
Naked Nutrition’s Pea Protein contains a whopping 27g of protein per serving. With pea protein isolate as the only ingredient, and different size and flavor options, this protein is worth considering.
True Nutrition Pea Protein Isolate
- PEA PROTEIN ISOLATE. Using Vegan & non-GMO yellow peas along with high-quality raw ingredients and a cold-water microfiltration process allows for 25g of plant based protein for ultimate muscle-building
- PLANT PROTEIN. True Nutrition’s non-GMO Pea Protein Isolate is a top selling option for acquiring substantial high quality amino acids and protein, all derived from plants! Serves as a great option if you have trouble digesting whey proteins
- LOW CARB. LOW FAT. HIGH PROTEIN. Pea Protein Isolate is an excellent low carb and low fat protein powder that packs 25g of plant based protein per serving, and has high amounts of muscle building Leucine
- NON-GMO. GLUTEN FREE. DAIRY FREE. SOY FREE. True Nutrition prides themselves in providing the most pure and high quality protein powders on the market. The only ingredient in TN’s Pea Protein Isolate...is pea protein isolate!
- THIRD PARTY TESTED. MADE IN THE USA. Virtually all True Nutrition products are made right here in the United States of America, and are tested by an independent third party laboratory to ensure they meet the highest of quality performance standards
Review: If you’re looking for bare-bones, high-quality pea protein powder, then True Nutrition’s pea protein isolate is a great choice.
With 25g of protein and 1g of fiber per serving, this protein is one of the most affordable options per serving and per gram of protein.
But, there’s more:
True Nutrition provides third-party testing on their products and will even show you the lab results, making it one of the best pea protein powders available.
- 25g of protein per serving.
- Minimal ingredients and only natural flavors.
- Third-party laboratory verification of ingredients.
- More expensive with smaller packages.
- Facility also processes wheat, nuts, and fish, which isn’t great for those with allergies.
Consider this protein due to the high protein amount per serving and third-party testing. However, due to their processing facility, this protein might not be a good option for those with food allergies.
Olympian Labs Pure Pea Protein
- Olympian Labs vegetable-based complete protein powder is derived from yellow peas (Pisum sativum), Pea Protein helps to build lean muscle mass and may also help keep hunger at bay; 27-31 g servings, 843 grams total, unflavored
- Most commercially available protein powders are derived from soy, rice, eggs or dairy, which are often problematic for those with allergic dietary concerns; Pea protein is an easily digestible plant based protein
- Our Pea Protein is concentrated from the normal level of 6% in fresh peas to more than 80% protein content; Peas balanced amino acid profile with BCAAs is great for intense workouts and challenging your muscles
- Soy and Dairy-Free, Cholesterol-Free, Highly Soluble, Paleo Acceptable, Diabetic Friendly, Fat Free, makes a great low carb, lower calorie snack
- The Red Label Promise - Olympian Labs has been providing high quality nutritional supplements and proteins since 1992 with transparency in labeling, affordable prices, and exceptional quality
Review: Olympian provides a cost-effective, organically sourced pea protein powder that packs in 25g of protein per serving, which is hard to beat.
Despite their single-ingredient list, this protein also comes with a gram of fiber in each serving.
The protein and fiber in this pea protein powder make it perfect for muscle building and weight management alike.
- Only Organic Pea Protein Isolate.
- 25g of protein per serving.
- 1g of fiber.
- Just 27 servings per container.
If you want a simple, high protein pea protein powder, Olympian is a good choice. But know you might have to stock up sooner than you’d expect compared to other options.
Pea Protein Buyer’s Guide Essentials
Even though you’ve just gone through this list of pea proteins, there are some specific details that you want to look out for when you’re making your decision on which protein to purchase eventually.
Look for Minimal Ingredients
When you’re purchasing a protein powder supplement, whether, from dairy or plant, you want to look for minimal ingredients so that you know you’re getting a protein product with high amounts of protein and minimal fillers or additives.
For example, the majority of the proteins on this list have one ingredient: Pea protein isolate.
While there are certainly some products mentioned here that contain more than one ingredient, the majority of them are minimal, which keeps costs low and quality a bit higher.
Look for at least 20g of Protein per Serving
For protein supplements to be effective, you need to have a relatively high amount of amino acids in the protein you consume. Effectiveness requires getting enough grams of protein so that you get enough of some specific amino acids like leucine.
Studies indicate that if you want to build muscle, you should aim to have 20-30 grams of protein per serving. Otherwise, you might not be having enough.
The majority of quality pea protein supplements contain a minimum of 20g of protein. If you purchase one that has 10 or 15 g per serving, you’re probably paying too much relative to other options.
Avoid Fillers & Artificial Sweeteners
While artificial sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose are subjects of controversy, these ingredients cost money, which means you’re paying a little more per serving.
On top of potentially being related to complications, artificial sweeteners are simply not necessary, especially if you opt for an unflavored version that you’ll mix with other ingredients.
Keep in mind:
Since stevia is natural and safe, choosing a pea protein that contains it is acceptable.
Look for Verification of Ingredients
A few years ago, protein powder distributors were, unfortunately, spiking their powders with nitrogen.
Since nitrogen sometimes reads falsely as protein, manufacturers capitalized on this factor to inflate the protein content of their product.
As a result:
Many consumers began demanding third-party laboratory verification of ingredients.
You should too.
While not every product will have third-party verification, it’s not a bad idea to look for products that do. Even though you might pay a bit more, you’ll have a piece of mind that you’re receiving the protein the label claims.
Be Conscientious of Blends
While protein blends are acceptable, it’s essential to know the quality of the proteins that you’re consuming.
Plant proteins are not all equivalent in terms of quality and the amino acids they provide. Pea protein is a good source because its amino acid profile is very similar to that of whey.
Other non-animal protein sources instance, won’t provide you with the same benefit per gram of protein, as pea protein will.
If you’re interested in a blend for the sake of variety, find a product that clearly labels their protein sources and decide which is best for you.
Cost per Serving
When searching for a pea protein powder, try to compare prices of the most popular products. Chances are, they are relatively close to each other in terms of cost per serving.
From there, you can decide based on reviews and the ingredient list.
Unfortunately, some brands inflate their prices because of their brand, despite possibly being an inferior product.
Many times, these expensive products have low amounts of protein per serving and use exciting verbiage on their package despite being no better than their cheaper competitors.
Consider brand names as viable options, but don’t decide on that alone. Lesser-known brands might provide a better option in terms of quality and cost per serving.
Pea Protein Frequently Asked Questions
Is Pea Protein Powder Good for You?
The answer here is yes.
Pea protein powder is an affordable and effective way for you to increase your daily protein intake.
Increasing daily protein intake is a great way to support your body if you exercise and want to build muscle and strength or even lose weight.
Pea protein has been shown to provide several different benefits, such as supporting muscle growth similarly to whey protein.
In fact, pea protein is arguably the best plant protein you can choose due to its impressive amino acid profile.
But that’s not all…
Other studies have suggested that pea protein powder might help you better manage food cravings and have greater control, even when you’re eating junk food.
These factors can make maintaining or losing bodyweight easy with less sacrifice.
Not to mention:
Since pure pea protein powders often only contain pea protein isolate, you know that you’re getting a plant protein devoid of dairy and, potentially, artificial sweeteners.
Is Pea Protein Bad for Your Kidneys
If you have a pre-existing kidney issue, consuming a diet high in protein can cause damage.
Research suggests that if you have healthy, functioning kidneys, then using protein supplements likely won’t present any issue.
Not everyone will know if they have a kidney issue.
If you’re concerned about potentially having malfunctioning kidneys, you should consider talking with your doctor before beginning a protein supplement routine.
Is Pea Protein as Good as Whey?
Many people compare animal proteins and plant proteins because of the amounts of amino acids each source provides.
Animal proteins like whey are the go-to source of protein because of their robust amino acid profile. Whey contains all of the amino acids needed to build muscle in high concentrations.
Plant proteins, on the other hand, often have lower amounts of essential amino acids, which means you need to consume more grams of protein to get the same response as whey.
Pea protein is a close second to whey in terms of amino acid profile.
Interestingly, pea protein is a great option because it contains really high amounts of an amino acid known as leucine, which is known as the amino acid that stimulates the process that builds muscle.
When pea protein is put up against whey to compare muscle-building effects, research shows that even though the amino acid profile is slightly different, the overall impact on muscle mass is the same.
Pea protein will help you build muscle just as well as whey and will do so without having to consume dairy or a product derived from animals.
If you need a quality plant-based protein powder, pea protein is one of the best options available.
Knowing what to look for to find the best pea protein powder is essential to gain a cost-effective product that will help provide the many benefits that pea protein can provide.
Make sure to consider subscribing to our newsletter so you can stay up-to-date on the latest products, trends, and fitness information right to your inbox!