How to choose, how to choose?!
Vegan Protein powder.
There exists a plethora of options to choose from.
Many are good, some… not so much. There are some that will agree with your body biology, while others may leave you with bloating, or gas.
You decide which is worse.
Deciding from among the best vegan protein powders is a challenge, and we are here to help.
We will look at the different protein sources used in the best clean protein powders. We will also look at added ingredients to see which are beneficial and for what purpose they are added.
We include a review of the 15 best vegan protein powders and best vegan supplements as well. So let’s get to it.
Vegan Friendly Protein Powders
|Garden of Life RAW Organic Meal Replacement|
|Orgain Organic Plant Based Protein Powder|
|Optimum Nutrition Vegan Protein Powder|
|PlantFusion Complete Protein Powder|
|Naturade VeganSmart All-In-One Nutritional Shake|
- Why do People use Protein Powder?
- What are Some Problems with Standard Non-Vegan Protein Powders?
- What’s so Special about VEGAN Protein Powder?
- Different Types of Vegan Protein Powder
- 7 Most Popular Brands for Vegan Protein Powder, Shakes and Meal Replacements
- TOP 15 Best Vegan Protein Powders and Supplements 2021
- Vega Sport Protein Powder
- Sunwarrior - Classic Protein, Raw Wholegrain Brown Rice
- Orgain Organic Plant Based Protein Powder
- Garden of Life Organic Protein Powder
- MRM - Veggie Elite Performance Protein
- Optimum Nutrition Vegan Gold Standard Protein Powder
- BN Nutrition Organic Vegan Protein Powder
- Sunwarrior - Warrior Blend, Raw, Plant Based, Organic Protein
- PlantFusion Complete Protein Powder
- Vega Clean Protein Powder
- Orgain Organic Plant Based Meal Powder
- Garden of Life RAW Organic Meal Replacement
- Amazing Grass Organic Vegan Protein Superfood Powder
- Paradise Herbs Orac Energy Protein Powder
- Naturade VeganSmart All-In-One Nutritional Shake
Why do People use Protein Powder?
Protein is essential for building muscle and protein powder is an easy, convenient way to consume protein.
It is often low calorie and can help make ‘lean gains” without packing on fat. Just be sure the powder does not have added sugar.
Drinking Protein shakes made with protein powder are an easy way to meet your protein goals without exceeding your calorie goals because best vegan protein powder for weight loss are usually between 100 and 150 calories per serving, and give between 20 to 25 grams of protein, on average.
Protein is very satiating; it helps you feel full keeping hunger at bay.
Time saver, meal replacement convenience. Protein shakes and meal replacement supplements are good for those pressed for time.
The best vegan meal replacement shakes can be carried on the go and mixed later, and a shake can be quickly mixed for a fast breakfast.
What are Some Problems with Standard Non-Vegan Protein Powders?
Standard protein powders are traditionally made with:
- Whey Protein – The most obvious problem with whey as far as vegans are concerned, is that it is a dairy byproduct, therefore NOT vegan. Whey also causes problems for those who are Lactose intolerant. Whey is sometimes made using an ion exchange process that introduces heavy metals, denatures and damages the protein, because it is cheap to make this way.
- Hydrolyzed collagen protein – Also NOT Vegan. Usually made from cow or pig. Collagen does have many benefits, but it is an incomplete protein and does not give all amino acids
- Casein protein – is derived from milk, just like Whey. It is a dairy product and not Vegan. Casein should be eaten in moderation, because it has BCM7, which is an opioid receptor peptide and can cause problems with the gut as well.
What’s so Special about VEGAN Protein Powder?
1. NO Issues with Lactose.
Vegan protein powder is good for those who are lactose intolerant. You may be lactose intolerant without being aware.
As much as 65% of the population has a reduced ability to digest protein after infancy.
2. No Noxious Gas.
The best all natural protein powder will not give you the bad gas that Whey protein does.
3. Far less processed.
Vegan protein powder, at least that which uses a protein source other than soy, undergo far less processing than conventional dairy based proteins.
No heavy processing and harsh processes mean the protein is kept intact and available for your body to use.
Different Types of Vegan Protein Powder
If you choose a rice based protein, it is best when mixed with pea protein.
I know what you are thinking!
Rice is a carbohydrate loaded food right?
Brown rice is almost as good a source as whey as far as protein content goes. (resource)
The carbs are removed from the rice during manufacturing, so you are good there. Brown rice also has a very neutral taste and is often found in the best tasting non dairy protein powders.
Pea protein is commonly found in vegan protein powder, as for a good reason. Pea protein has these benefits:
- Highest protein content of all plant based proteins
- Contains a decent amount of muscle building Branched chain Amino Acids
- Contains much more arganine than whey. Agranine is good for building lean muscle and increasing nitric Oxide levels.
- No chemicals or funky processing needed to make pea protein. It is a simple, mechanical process that maintains the proteins integrity
Hemp is a complete protein, but it is often more expensive than other types of vegan protein.
Still, it has its own set of benefits you should know about before deciding on the best organic vegan protein powder for your needs.
Vegan Hemp Protein is:
- Hemp has an ideal omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio
- Hemp contains two easy to digest proteins, edestin and albumin, which are more bioavailable than other types of protein
- Hemp is easily the most digestible protein of all the protein sources
- Hemp contains essential fatty acids and trace nutrients and is a superfood in its own right, as well as being a significant source of protein
The only fault hemp has is that does not contain as much protein per serving as others, but it makes for that fault by being very digestible and bioavailable.
Soy is the least preferred source of vegan protein. It is commonly cited to have an estrogenic effect, but the science for this claim is not convincing.
The reason soy is not preferable is:
- Soy is commonly a GMO crop. Up to 94 % of soy grown in the US is genetically modified to stand up to potent herbicides (resource).
- Soy is often processed to separate fat and carbs from the protein, using hexane, a byproduct of gasoline (resource). Organic soy is not supposed to undergo hexane processing, but some brands tested have revealed the use of hexane.
And how to be sure that these really are vegan!
7 Most Popular Brands for Vegan Protein Powder, Shakes and Meal Replacements
All Vega products are “Clean”.
What does that mean?
Sun Warrior is a brand that is committed to making products from minimal processed REAL foods that our bodies thrive on.
Makers of the best all natural protein powders, Sun Warrior only uses organic “clean” ingredients.
Garden of Life
The garden of Life company makes vitamins, supplements, protein powder and more.
Garden of Life prides itself on making “clean” products and knowing the source and provider of each and every ingredient in all products.
They make the best vegan supplements available.
Orgain was started by Dr. Andrew Abraham a medical doctor and cancer survivor who had the goal of creating a health drink that would actually benefit his health.
Products are organic, low in sugar, high in protein and free of any artificial funny business. Orgain makes one of the best vegan meal replacement shakes.
MRM Veggie Elite
MRM focuses on the science behind nutrition and puts a lot of effort into research of the ingredients that make up their products.
Not only are their products nutritionally sound and backed by solid science, but they are delicious. Cinnamon bun protein shake, anyone?
Amazing grass believes in choosing organic over factory based farming, and focuses on practices that are sustainable and make the earth a better place to live.
They farm wheat, barley and alfalfa grass that are the star of the show in each amazing grass product.
Plant Fusion uses nutrient dense ingredients free of known allergens. They make one of the best tasting vegan protein powders available.
They focus on mixing and making products that blend different tastes and create a delicious “Fusion” of flavor, which is why they named the company Plant Fusion.
TOP 15 Best Vegan Protein Powders and Supplements 2021
Meal Replacements and supplements
Don’t wait. Get shaking!
Pick up a tub or bag of one of the best vegan protein powders and let us know what you think in about it the comments below.