Best Ankle Weights + Complete Guide with Exercises & TOP 15 Reviews 2023
Want to up the intensity of your workout a notch?
Would you like to condition and tone your body while you go about your daily routine?
Has your doctor recommended ankle or wrist weights for rehabilitation or therapy?
Whatever your reason for looking for the best ankle weights or wrist weights, you have come to the right place.
I will review 15 of the best ankle weights available today, answer your ankle weight questions and show you a few exercise routines you can start today, using just ankle or wrist weights.
- TOP 15 Best Ankle Weight Reviews 2023
- TheraBand Ankle Weights - Best for the Wrist while Sports Training
- MiR Adjustable Wrist Weights - Best Heavy Weight Ankle Weights
- Nordic Lifting Ankle / Wrist Weights - Most Comfortable Ankle Weights
- VALEO Ankle/Wrist Weights - Best for Large or Thick Ankles
- Da Vinci Ankle Wrist Weights - Most Comfortable for The Price
- Zensufu Ankle or Wrist Weights - Best for Running
- Fitnessery Ankle Weights - Best for Those with Mobility Issues, Arthritis
- GYMENIST Ankle and Wrist Weights - Value Priced Adjustable Weights
- Ankle Weights by Healthy Model Life - Easiest to Get On and Off Quickly
- All Pro Ankle Weights - Best Adjustable Ankle Weights
- Kiefer Ankle and Wrist Weights - Best for the Pool
- Ivation Premium Ankle Weights - Good for Running
- Reehut Ankle Weights - Simple and Budget Priced
- Nike Dri Fit Wrist Weights - Most Secure, Easy to Use
- Gaiam Fitness Ankle Weights - Best a for Yoga
- What is the Story with Ankle Weights? The Best and Worst Ways to Use Them
- Should You Use Ankle Weights?
- Some of the Best Ankle Weight Exercises
- Ankle Weights Pros and Cons
- What are the Different Types of Ankle Weights
- What to Lookout for When Choosing the Best Pair of Ankle Weights
- Ankle and Wrist Weight FAQs
TOP 15 Best Ankle Weight Reviews 2023
TheraBand Ankle Weights - Best for the Wrist while Sports Training
- Set of two weights, 1 pound each, features sleek neoprene exterior with adjustable strap and soft non abrasive terrycloth interior to absorb moisture
- Easily adjusts to hug the ankle or wrist for customized fit, reflective trim provides added safety for outdoor and evening use
- Increase weight in strength training and rehabilitation programs without changing technique, which is fundamental to the principles of progressive exercise
- Use with traditional upper and lower body strengthening exercises or to enhance balance training or stabilization exercises, for men and women
- THERABAND offers weights as a series of sets to use as an adjustable workout routine, use one set on wrist and another on ankle
Review: TheraBand wrist and ankle weights are compact enough to conceal under clothing and comfortable enough to wear all day.
They secure snuggly with a Velcro strap, and they are long enough, with soft edges, so they don’t chafe and the Velcro strap won’t rub against your skin.
- Available in lighter weights.
- Great for wrists.
- Compact enough to hide under clothes.
- Hard to get tight on very small wrists.
Lighter compact weights good for use as wrist weights.
MiR Adjustable Wrist Weights - Best Heavy Weight Ankle Weights
Review: These heavy duty adjustable weight ankle weights will give you a serious workout.
They are available in weights up to 10 lbs each ankle and the bars can be removed completely from the holder so they can be gently hand washed and air dried.
- Up to 10 lbs per ankle. 5 lbs per ankle also available.
- Heavy enough so you can feel the difference while walking.
- Comfortable neoprene interior.
- Sturdy Velcro straps hold and grip ankle well.
- Weights can slide out.
Sturdy and strong adjustable weights with up to 10 lbs for each ankle. Best ankle weights for walking!
Nordic Lifting Ankle / Wrist Weights - Most Comfortable Ankle Weights
- ANKLE / WRIST WEIGHTS: With included Carry Bag - by Premium Fitness Equipment brand Nordic Lifting™
- COMFORTABLE & DURABLE: Designed for comfort and durability with reinforced stitching and neoprene padding
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE & SAFE: Easily switch from ankle to wrist with a large Velcro pad - The weights even have a reflective trim which provides safety for outdoor use
- A "MUST HAVE": For home workouts, walking, jogging, core training, Cross Training, aerobics, gym and many other fitness workouts
- INCLUDED: 2x Ankle / Wrist Weights, 1x Carry Bag, Instructions Manual - With 1 Year Manufacturer's Warranty for Defects
Review: These ankle weights by Nordic lifting are available in 1 and 2, 3 and 5 lb increments, feature Velcro close and adjustments, and reflective tape detail for visibility.
- Fits smaller wrists, as well as larger, highly adjustable strap.
- Mesh carry bag included.
- Reflective tape detail.
- Thick Velcro strap- not flimsy like some other brands.
- The weight part is short, so when you wrap it around your ankle, there will be a Velcro only gap that may chafe the leg. On the other hand, they are ideal for smaller folks.
Quality and durability that fits virtually anyone, made from a trusted manufacturer.
VALEO Ankle/Wrist Weights - Best for Large or Thick Ankles
- COMES IN A PAIR: 2 ankle weight straps with adjustable weights each weighing 2.5 lbs
- ADJUSTABLE WEIGHTS: 5 individual sand-filled bags of weight secured in individual pouches, weights can be adjusted from 1 to 5lbs for increased resistance
- EASY TO ADJUST: Self-gripping Velcro closure for easy removal or great fit for ankles and wrists
- QUALITY & COMFORT: Adjustable metal D-ring double-strap Velcro closure system, padded and non-abrasive lining for comfort
- PERFECT FOR FITNESS & REHABILITATION: Add more resistance, used to increase upper or lower body strength, rehabilitate muscles, improve balance, and coordination for physical therapy, home workouts, walking, jogging, cross-training and fitness routines
Review: The adjustable weight ankle weights use sand bags instead of iron bars so they conform better to the ankle and can be removed for a gentle hand wash and air dry when needed.
They adjust from 1 lb to 5 lbs for each ankle.
- Weights are very long and fit large or thick limbs best.
- Adjustable, by removing and replacing the included plastic sand bags.
- Sand conforms to the ankle better than iron bars
- Uses semicircle D rings, which folds the strap.
A good budget pair of ankle weights from a well-known fitness company.
Da Vinci Ankle Wrist Weights - Most Comfortable for The Price
Review: These soft comfortable ankle weights are sold in pairs ranging from your choice of 1 lb, up to 5 lbs per ankle.
- Very comfortable.
- Long enough to cover around the entire ankle.
- Very low price.
- Not very durable where Velcro is sewn to the material.
Budget friendly and very comfortable.
Zensufu Ankle or Wrist Weights - Best for Running
- Purple - 2 lbs pair (1 lb each)
- Comes with a black travel pouch
- Convenient for gym, exercise, fitness, walking, jogging, gymnastics, aerobics
- Made with soft and durable fabric for exercise
- Adjustable strap for great fit for your ankles or wrists
Review: Available in 1, 2, 3 and 5 lbs, these Zensufu ankle weights are comfortable and will not chafe while running.
- Travel pouch included.
- Strap is the same length as the weight.
- Strong secure Velcro adjuster.
- Can be challenging to get the weights tightened correctly.
Simple and useful ankle weights. Very Zen-like.
Fitnessery Ankle Weights - Best for Those with Mobility Issues, Arthritis
- ★ TONE & TIGHTEN: these 2LB ankle weights (x2) can help you tone and tighten your body. Targeting your legs and glutes by adding extra resistance. Suitable to wear whilst working out, running and walking. Add to cart today to begin your journey to a toned body in 48 hours with Amazon Prime!
- ★ FREE BONUS GIFTS: each purchase includes 3 incredible extras. ➀ Mesh Storage Bag (value: $5), ➁ E-Book: 100 Ankle Weight Exercises for a Toned Body (value: $25, sent via email), ➂ Lifetime Full Refund/Replacement Guarantee.
- ★ SNUG FIT: extra-long leg weights, velcro and strap ensures the exercise weights will stay secured. No more loose ankle weights during weight training and running!
- ★ MAXIMUM COMFORT: Fitnessery ankle weights adjustable are constructed from premium anti-chafing neoprene fabric. This workout equipment for women are divided into 8 perfect parts for 360 degrees equal weight distribution around your ankles or wrists.
- ★ ROCK SOLID DURABILITY: this home exercise equipment was engineered using reinforced double stitching technology, and silver reflective trim for evening outdoor workouts.
Review: These Fitnessery ankle and wrist weights are a cut above the rest because the Velcro is a part of the weight itself, not some awkward strap you need to adjust.
Literally, one of the easiest ankle or wrist weights to get on and off plus they can be adjusted to fit both wrist and ankle snugly.
- Long enough to wrap around entire ankle.
- All one piece integrated Velcro- no straps to mess with.
- Great for ankles and wrists.
- Not available in 4 or 5 lb weights.
Best wrist weights for small wrists, mobility issues and arthritis, because they are easy to get on and off.
GYMENIST Ankle and Wrist Weights - Value Priced Adjustable Weights
- Easy to adjust the tightness of the weights on your legs and hands and more importantly you can adjust how much you want to use
- PACKAGE INCLUDES: Pair of adjustable 2-LB weight sets, (EACH PIECE IS 2 LB)
- High quality, non-toxic, Ideal for endurance training, running, exercising, hiking and all kind of cardio exercises
- Soft and comfortable Set of weights to put on around your ankles and wrists for exercise
- Washable: You want to wash the set of wraps? Then take out the sand bags and wash only the wraps
Review: These Gymenist weights are offered at a great price, plus they are adjustable. The adjustable removable weights are contained in a zippered compartment so they won’t fall out.
- Sold as set of 2 lbs each or 4 lbs each.
- Weights are secured in zippered pouch.
- Washable – just remove weights first.
- Would be nice to have heavier weights available.
- Not very durable – price reflects that.
Inexpensive and adjustable wrist and ankle weights.
Ankle Weights by Healthy Model Life - Easiest to Get On and Off Quickly
- ★ BEST IN QUALITY - Our remarkable cuffs are padded above the competition, keeping you focused on your form, and toning those glutes to perfection. These are Best In Class! Go on, compare us. No wonder our Ankle Weights are standard equipment for Victoria Secret Angels!
- ★ THE NEXT LEVEL - Increase resistance, and you increase your fitness gains! Weighted at 5lb, our Ankle Weights will offer a challenge for a more advanced level of your workouts! Combining unbeatable comfort with an enduring design, we help you get from zero to hero faster by adding just the right amount of resistance for your home gym routines!
- ★ EVERYWHERE YOU ARE - Whether it's a brisk jog on your lunch break, or a mean Pilates session on Saturday, PINC Active Ankle Weights are up to the task and easy to take with you. So, when you need a little extra challenge, we're here to make sure you're getting healthier and stronger!
- ★ SNUG AS A BUG - You don't have to worry about flipping as our sure stay grip keeps our weights perfectly positioned on your ankles without you having to endure the constant adjustments that some of the other cuffs need.
- ★ GUARANTEED - Buying online can be scary sometimes. That's why we've made sure your buying experience with PINC Active is as stress free as possible with a ONE YEAR REPLACEMENT OR REFUND GUARANTEE! It's up to you, but if you feel our product hasn't met your needs, just let us know, and we'll do whatever it takes to make it right!
Review: This style of ankle weight, where the Velcro is integrated into the weight, and not a separate strap, distributes weight evenly and does not cut into or chaff your ankles.
These ankle weights by healthy life model are soft yet strong, in increments of 1, 2, 5 and 8 per ankle.
- Increments of up to 8lbs for each leg for a serious workout.
- Super soft, no Velcro strap to wreck your ankle.
- Evenly distributed weight.
- Extra padding for even more comfort.
- Not for really large ankles.
Some of the most comfortable and heavy ankle weights available. Best ankle weights for glutes if you get the 8 lb option.
All Pro Ankle Weights - Best Adjustable Ankle Weights
- Cushioned flaps protect the ankles and permit full freedom of movement
- 10-lb pair (5-lbs each) ankle weights
- Weight adjustable up to 5-lbs per ankle in 1/2-lb increments - solid iron weights
- Padding against the ankle and a padded heel to protect the Achilles tendon
- Premium quality for fitness, health and wellness
Review: These all pro adjustable weights adjust up to 5 lbs each using .5 lb increments. Cool! You only need to buy one pair and work your way up instead of buying new weights.
- Adjustable in increments of .5 lbs.
- Padded at the heel for comfort.
- Uses solid iron weights – no sand or other material that can leak.
- Ankle weights with removable weights.
- No D loop to help with adjusting the weight, you must hold one side while tightening. This is a small issue.
Easily the best adjustable ankle weights available.
Kiefer Ankle and Wrist Weights - Best for the Pool
- Soft and durable neoprene casing with Velcro buckle for a secure comfortable fit
- Weights can be clipped together and used as a weight belt for water polo drills to develop leg and core strength
- Includes one pair
- For aquatic exercise, water aerobics, or dryland exercise
- Comfortable and easy to use
Review: Calling all swimmers, water aerobics and water polo enthusiasts! We found you a pair of ankle weights.
These Kiefer ankle weights are waterproof, and designed for you!
- Waterproof-pool safe.
- Attached clips can clip weights together to form a belt.
- Too big to be used as wrist weights.
Pool ready ankle weights! Great for water aerobics.
Ivation Premium Ankle Weights - Good for Running
- Wearable Weights Are Wonderful for Rehabilitation, Fitness Routines, Jogging, Etc.
- Total Weight of 6 Pounds (3 lbs per Ankle) is Easy to Stash in Suitcase/Bag for Travel
- Sleek Design & Cushioned Moisture-Wicking Material Offer Non-Abrasive Comfort
- Adjustable Velcro Straps Loosen or Tighten Cuffs & Secure Weights on Leg or Arm
- Discreet Design is Perfect for Sneaking in Some Exercise During Everyday Activities
Review: These ankle weights feature fun colors and are available in 1,2 and three pounds.
- Moisture wicking liner.
- Thick Velcro strap.
- Fun bright colors allow you to be seen easier if walking or jogging at night.
- Not waterproof or rust proof.
These brightly colored ankle weights make some of the best ankle weights for running.
Reehut Ankle Weights - Simple and Budget Priced
- Weight Set Available: [regular weight] Blue - 4 lbs pair (2 lbs each). Dimension: 11.42" x 3.94"
- Premium Quality: Made with durable mercerized cotton for exercise, and moisture absorbing material inside, soft, breathable and comfortable to wear.
- Easy to Use: Adjustable strap closure for loosening and tightening to ensure a customized fit to your ankles, snug and secure, take seconds to put on and take off.
- Workout & Fitness: Filled with the iron shot, add more resistance to your daily workout. Strengthen your legs, burn calories and fat, tone your lower-body muscles. Offer versatility (such as raise and leg lift).
- Exclusive service: All REEHUT products are backed by a 30-day replacement or refund, a two-year warranty and lifetime customer support. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us and enjoy your exclusive service.
Review: The range of available weights set the Reehut ankle weights apart. They offer 1, 1.5, 2, 3, 4, 5 lb ankle weights.
1.5, 3 and 4 lbs increments are somewhat rare, so this is one of the only choices if you want those off weights.
- Several unique weight increments available.
- Made from breathable material.
- Budget price.
- Filled with iron shot – do not use in the water!
Simple ankle weights for budget price.
Nike Dri Fit Wrist Weights - Most Secure, Easy to Use
- Wrist Weights 1 Lb
- .45 Kg Each
- · Adjustable strap with hook-and-loop closure
- Holds weight in place · Anatomically correct design
- Improved fit around wrist · Dri-FIT fabric lining
Review: These Nike wrist weights are functional and sport a fresh design.
They have a completely different shape from other wrist weights and do not use straps to secure and adjust. They stay secure using Velcro, but the connection stay up front, while the weight stays back.
- Moisture wicking Dri fit liner.
- Will not spin around wrist, stays in place.
- Most comfortable wrist weights available.
- Cost a little extra than most other weights.
Nike hit a home run with this novel, comfortable, practical design. Way to think outside the box Nike!
Gaiam Fitness Ankle Weights - Best a for Yoga
- 2 Ankle Weights - Build lower body strength one step at a time with these ankle weights. Adjustable straps allow you to wrap weights around your ankle and strap securely in place without trying to slide it over your entire foot or calf.
- Strength Training Equipment - Add this pair of ankle weights as an easy way to build strength. Tone your lower body with resistance strength training while running, performing HIIT cardio routines, or even just walking around at home.
- Workout Set - Available in a 10-lb. set (two 5 lb. weights) or a 5-lb. set (two 2.5 lb. weights), use the ankle weight in a variety of floor exercises by adding just enough weight and resistance to build the intensity and burn more calories.
- Adjustable Ankle Weights for Women at Home - Weights will not shift or slide while in motion; the weighted, sand-filled material adds weight yet is durable and easy to carry around your home for all strength levels so you can add resistance to your workout.
- Build & Tone Muscle - Whether working out at home, in a gym or studio, ankle weights are a perfect, low-impact way to gently build muscle. Fits most ankle sizes: 5lb weights fit a 9-in. max ankle circumference, and10lb weights fit an 11-in. ankle size.
Review: This set of ankle weights by Gaiam offers 2.5 lbs for each ankle, offering just the right amount of resistance for floor work and resistance.
- Uses no annoying straps, the weight itself has the Velcro built in.
- Soft fabric, no digging or chafing problems.
- Very comfortable and secure, won’t twist and turn.
- Only one weight increment available, 2.5 lbs for each ankle, or 5 lbs for the set of 2.
Easily one of the most comfortable ankle weights on the market. Our choice for best ankle weights for women.
What is the Story with Ankle Weights? The Best and Worst Ways to Use Them
Ankle weights have been around for a while. It used to be, a doctor or physician may have prescribed them to add a little resistance and challenge to a sedentary persons walking routine.
Are wrist and ankle weights good for you?
These days, however, many doctors and sports professionals are shying away from prescribing the ankle weights for walking or running due to wear, tear and possible injury to joints and tendons that may occur with repetitive motion like walking for an hour. (resource)
But let’s not throw out the baby with the bath water!
While ankle weight may not be good for long periods of repetitive motion, they do have quite a bit of utility.
They are great for stationary exercises, improving performance on HIIT and CrossFit movements and so much more.
We will discuss the best ankle weight exercises in a minute, but first…
Should You Use Ankle Weights?
Ankle weights, when used properly, are intended to make activities you are already engaging in, more challenging.
So, if you find that burpees, box jumps, leg lifts, extensions and raises ect hold no more challenge, by all means, pick up a pair.
Sometimes ankle weights are appropriate for beginners. It depends on the fitness level of the individual and the exercise they are performing.
In addition to that, ankle weights can be used as dumbbells in a pinch, so it may be handy to have a pair available. They are quite versatile.
The ankle weight debate: The controversy get’s real with Rock Lee.
Some of the Best Ankle Weight Exercises
There are some pretty awesome uses for ankle weights, and the variety is limited only by your imagination.
The Butt Lift Workout
Ankle weights are a great way to shape, tone and “roundify” the butt or glutes. For a bikini ready body, ankle weights are a girl’s secret weapon.
But ankle weights are not just for Bikini models, they are good for all kinds of athletes.
Ankle weights can help your jump performance.
Improve Vertical Jump Height
In this video A.J. demonstrates how ankle weights are used to improve vertical jump height, and offers a suggested routine.
Ankle weights have a place I many martial arts and fighting sports training.
- Muay Tai – using a moderate weight can benefit your kick performance.
- Boxing – Trainers recommend lower weights (3 to 5 lbs), used in or around the hands during drills.
Ankle weights also help improve agility movements.
Soccer – soccer agility movements like dribbling, step overs, and the speed of other skill moves.
Ankle weights are perfect for strengthening the core.
Some exercises you can do with ankle weights:
- High Knee Kicks – lift your knee to your chest, alternating legs.
- Burpees – bend into a squat, place your hands on the floor in front of you, jump, moving your legs about a meter back. Jump your legs forward, maintaining your hands on the ground. Move into a standing position, raising your hands above your head, and jump. Whew. That was hard just to type!
- Hip Extensions – get down and lift one leg at a time, extending it completely.
- Mountain Climbers – get on your hands and toes, bring your knee to your chest and alternate legs in a sort of running movement.
- Side leg lift – stand and lift the leg perpendicular to your body.
- Crossed Leg lift – place your foot over your knee and lift your leg pointing your foot towards the ceiling.
- Bicycle. (do not use ankle weights on a real bicycle) Lay on your back, lift your legs, and move them similar to pedaling a bike. This works the core big time, especially with ankle weights.
Ankle Weights Pros and Cons
- Good for stationary exercises, agility movements, footwork, kicks etc.
- Can be used as small hand weights if standard dumbbells are not available.
- Hands free way to add extra weight during your workout routine.
- Portable and easy to store away.
- Good for rehabilitation and muscle training of injured or elderly.
- Not good for long periods of walking, or running.
- Prolonged repetitive movement plus unnatural weight placement place stress on joints and ligaments.
What are the Different Types of Ankle Weights
There are a few brands that make an adjustable ankle weight. These have rods or bars that sit in pockets on the weight and can be removed to customize how heavy the weight is.
This is the most common type of ankle weigh. It has a Velcro strap that threads thru a metal D ring or square loop.
While these are the most popular and are known to fit both large and small ankles, their downfall is the strap may chafe or scratch an exposed ankle.
These weights incorporate the Velcro into the body of the weight, eliminating the need for a strap.
These are great, but a common limitation is size. They tend to, as a group, run small and may not fit people with really large or swollen ankles.
These are my favorite style of ankle weight and in my opinion, the best ankle weights for exercise.
What to Lookout for When Choosing the Best Pair of Ankle Weights
Material – look for fabric that is durable and wicks sweat and perspiration. Another nice feature, if you plan to use the weights outside, is reflective material incorporated into the weight.
Style – As stated above, there are three styles-adjustable, Velcro strap and Velcro body style. Choose what is best for our needs.
The Velcro strap weights are good for those with very large or swollen ankles.
The Velcro body ankle weights are the most comfortable, but do not always accommodate large or swollen ankles.
Waterproof – Pool Use – if you plan to use the weights for water or pool activities look for a waterproof brand.
You cannot use regular ankle weights as the metal parts may rust and the sand inside will retain water for a long time and may not dry between use.
Ankle and Wrist Weight FAQs
What muscles do ankle weights help or work while you walk?
If you are wearing ankle weights while walking, expect to feel the burn in your Hamstrings Quads and glutes. Plus using ankle weights while walking works your heart just a little more due to having to move a heavier load.
How long should you wear ankle weights?
Ankle weights should not be worn all day long because they do cause strain on the joints if worn for that long.
During a workout or while running errands or cleaning the house is not long enough to cause damage, but more than a few hours is too long according to Terry Downy, a Physical Therapist.
Do ankle weights make you run faster?
If you train with weights on your ankles be sure to limit the time. Too much can cause joint problems.
If you train using ankle weights, you will pick up speed once the weights are off.
Ankle weights are better for walking, yoga, floor exercises, plyometrics and other strengthening and toning work. If you want to add resistance to your run, try weighted vests.
Do ankle weights help you grow taller?
I searched and searched for a credible answer to this question and could not find support for the idea that ankle weights increase height or that ankle weights can help make you taller.
Even if ankle weights did stretch your legs a bit, the increase in height would be small and temporary.
Can ankle weights increase your vertical jump?
Yes! A Vertical jump, like a box jump using a plyo box depends on using explosive strength to propel you up onto the box from a standing position.
The weights serve to strengthen the muscles you use while you jump. Once the weights are removed, you have incrementally more power and can jump just a little higher.
In this instance, the weights act as resistance for your plyometric move.
Do ankle weights help you lose weight?
Like any resistance training or exercise, ankle weights can be a tool to help you lose weight. Keep in mind, weight loss is about 20 percent dependent on physical activity and 80 % what you eat.
If you are looking for a plan to meet your fitness and weight check out this body upgrade guide.
That’s a wrap!
Take your fitness to the next level and invest in a pair of ankle or wrist weights to add to your routine.
Want another option to add some serious challenge to your routine?
Weighted vests can add much more weight than ankle weights, and the load on your body is more natural that the load created by ankle weights. Check out our weighted vest reviews here.
Don’t forget to sign up for the newsletter. Subscribers receive free exclusive content and guides, and we promise – NO spam!