If you want to know what the best pre-workouts for focus and energy are, what ingredients they include and WHY, then you want to read this article.
When you clear away all the hype, BS, marketing crap and fancy packaging, at the end of the day, the best pre-workouts for focus and energy are the best because of the ingredients (and dosage) they include.
I don’t want to waste your time so I am going to get right to it.
I am going to list the ingredients to look out for when choosing the best pre-workouts for focus and then give you a review of the TOP 15 best pre-workouts focus and energy.
So let’s get to it!
The Best Mood, Motivation, Energy, Feel Good and Focus Ingredients for Pre-Workout Drinks
Look for these PRIME ingredients for the best focus and energy
- Caffeine: DiCaffeine Malate – Caffeine is well known for keeping you awake and giving mad energy. Did you know there is a version of caffeine available that releases more slowly for sustained energy without the nasty caffeine crash? It’s called Di-caffeine Malate. Look for it in the best pre-workouts.
- Dynamine – methylliberine: A natural alkaloid found in coffee and tea. It boosts epinephrine, norepinephrine and acts of domamine receptors for a boost in mood and a shot of energy.
- Alpha GPC: Alpha GPC is a form of Choline that increases power output, Growth hormone and increases cognition.
- ElevATP: Increases intramuscular and intracellular levels of ATP. Why does this matter? ATP is used for energy by each and every cell in your body and the rate it can be replenished affects your energy level.
- Mucuna Pruriens L Dopa: A Dopamine Precursor shown to increase dopamine levels in the body. Why does this matter? Dopamine is a feel-good neurotransmitter that increases motivation and focus. It may also increase memory, lower cortisol and help increase Testosterone.
- Tyrosine: A precursor to adrenaline and dopamine, the amino acid is a stimulant. It has been shown to increase cognition and your sense of well-being. Studies also show tyrosine decreases stress, another great benefit of this helpful supplement.
- Huperzine: Inhibits the breakdown of acetylcholine, which means an increase of acetylcholine. Acetylcholine is involved in muscle contraction and memory formation and can assist in building a solid mind-muscle connection, which is why it is included in pre-workouts.
- Halostachine: A unique and somewhat rare stimulant found in a few pre-workouts, halostachine is a metabolite of PEA and similar to the now banned Ephedrine. It releases adrenaline and noradrenaline, and that is why it is awesome for focus and energy.
- PEA – Phenylethylamine: PEA increases mood, focus and energy, but the body breaks it down quickly. It can be paired with hordenine or Chinese bitter Orange to last longer.
- Teacrine: Aka Theacrine, is similar to caffeine and comes from coffee beans or tea. It is stimulating, like caffeine, and may not have the tolerance problems caffeine does. Don’t confuse this with Theanine, an amino acid found in tea, they work very differently.
- Hordenine: A stimulant that prevents reuptake of noradrenaline and pairs well with PEA to make the effects of PEA last longer.
- Rauwolfia: Related to Yohimbie, the active ingredient in Rauwolfia is alpha-yohimbine, which is a stimulant and fat burner. It has been shown to increase energy and boost mood.
- DMAE: Included in pre-workouts because it is thought to increase cognition and focus.
- Yohimbe: This classic pre-workout supplement increases adrenaline, energy and is a proven fat burner. It may also increase cortisol and anxiety so sensitive users be aware.
- Phosphatidylserine: This compound is naturally found in high amounts in the brain. It is proven to increase cognition and aerobic or cardio capacity. It also increases attention and memory and decreases fatigue and stress. It is pretty safe to use and is not a stimulant.
I hand-picked these pre-workouts for their energy producing, nootropic or mind-enhancing and feel-good ingredients.
Top 15 Best Pre-Workouts for Focus Reviewed 2019
T6 Stimulant-1 Pre-Workout Powder
Review: T6 is a powerful blend of several stimulants, focus enhancers and mood elevators. It is one of the most popular and one of the best pre-workout for energy and focus available today.
It also happens to taste great, which is rare for pre-workouts.
- Contains Dynamine, a dopamine activating compound extracted from coffee for motivation.
- 280 MG Caffeine, including 50 mg of slow release version for sustained energy.
- Contains PEA and Methyliberine for focus and mood.
- Contains artificial sweeteners and flavors.
As good as pre-workouts from Back in the day, in terms of energy and focus.
MusclePharm Wreckage Pre-Workout Powder
Review: This formula contains ingredients to boost Brain Health, increase focus and saturate your body with mad energy.
As far as taste goes, this is one of the better tasting pres.
- Tyrosine, Alpha GPC and Ginseng for focus.
- 300 mg of Caffeine for extreme energy.
- Great taste, easy to mix.
- Only 25 servings per container.
Great flavor with no nasty crash or harsh stims.
Mythlabs Journey Pre-Workout Supplement
Review: Mythlabs is a newer pre-workout and one of the best pre-workout supplement for focus as far as price goes.
The powerful mind, focus and energy enhancing formula includes Caffeine, PEA, Rhodiola, Alpha GPC, Taurine and Olive Leaf Extract.
- 200 mg of PEA HCL.
- 200 mg Caffeine.
- Price is much lower than competitors, get it while it’s hot.
- Does not mix well, use room temp water for best results.
A steal as far as I am concerned, with some great mood, focus and energy enhancers.
AREZ God of the Gym Pre-Workout
Review: AREZ god of the gym will give you complete command of your workout.
The Lotus Leaf and 200 mg of PEA will make you feel great and keep your head focused on your routine, while the 300 mg of caffeine and 225 mg of Rauwolfia Vomitoria go to work inside you and give you a huge dose of energy.
- 200 MG PEA.
- 300 mg of Caffeine.
- 225 mg of Rauwolfia Vomitoria.
- May cause headaches and the stimulation lasts for a while. Don’t take too late in the day.
Contains the strongest and best pre-workout ingredients for focus and extreme energy. Be careful!
Previde High Performance Pre-Workout
Review: Previde is no joke when it comes to providing energy. It contains a large dose of caffeine, but it also has the unique stimulant Halostachine for added endurance and stimulation.
With Hordenine, the third powerful stimulant in this formula make Previde one of the most powerful pre-workouts on this list.
- 350 mg of Caffeine in two scoops.
- 100 mg of Novel Stim Halostachine.
- Hordenine and Higenamine increase energy and focus.
- Uses artificial ingredients.
If you like a heavy stimulant load, like “back in the day” pre-workouts, check this one out.
Kraken Black Pre-Workout Energy Powder
Review: Kraken black contains 4 powerful energy and focus producing ingredients, along with several other performance enhancing compounds.
PEA, Caffeine, Hodenine, Higenamine and Cocoa seed extract work synergistically to power up your routine.
- Tastes great.
- 175 mg Energizing Caffeine per scoop.
- 150 mg Focus enhancing and mood lifting PEA per scoop.
- 40 scoops per container.
- Contains Carrageenan and artificial sweeteners.
725 mg of butt kicking stimulants and focus enhancers in a two scoop serving!
Review: This stimulant free cognitive and performance enhancer contains adaptogens, Rhodiola and Ashwaganda that work together to enhance your sense of well-being and naturally balance neurotransmitters.
This formula will not make you feel cracked out or overstimulated, it is very smooth, but you will notice the increase in focus.
- 5 grams of Energy and ATP producing D-Ribose powder.
- 100 mg of focus and cognitive enhancing, cortisol lowering Phosphatidylserine.
- Turns you into a drive, focused and motivated machine, not a spaz.
Give yourself the mental edge with one of the best pre-workout for mental focus.
VMI Sports K-XR Pre-Workout
Review: The Huperzine in this formula increases learning and focus, building a strong mind-muscle connection while the 400 mg of caffeine provide plenty of energy.
There are three types of caffeine in this formula, including slow release caffeine to extend the energy giving effects.
- Whopping 400 mg Caffeine, including slow release caffeine.
- Includes stimulating and mood enhancing Rauwolfia.
- Huperzine promotes neurogenesis, learning and mind-muscle connection.
- Contains artificial flavor and sweeteners.
Powerful three stage caffeine energy punch, with a good dose of focus enhancing ingredients.
Evlution Nutrition ENGN Pre-Workout
Review: ENGN EVL pre-workout contains a good dose of caffeine, with several mind enhancing ingredients for intense workout sessions.
The caffeine is combined with a slow release version which won’t give you too much too soon, and won’t leave you to crash and burn either.
- 260 mg of Caffeine, including slow release for sustained energy.
- Alpha GPC is a choline increasing focus supplement.
- Huperzine helps you build a mind muscle connection.
- Tyrosine is a dopamine precursor and enhances motivation.
- Sweetened with artificial sweeteners.
Start strong and finish strong with ENGN EVL.
ThinkFuel for Athletes Nootropic Pre-Workout
Review: Thinkfuel contains Mind, mood and motivation enhancing Tyrosine with a generous dose of energizing caffeine to power your workout and keep you focused.
Nootropic ingredients Huperzine and DMAE help build a mind body connection and Bacopa paired with Ginseng reduce anxiety and lift your mood.
- Huperzine gives a bump in mind and focus enhancing Acetylcholine.
- Tyrosine and Caffeine energize your routine.
- DMAE maximizes mental performance.
- Contains artificial flavor, colors and sweetener.
The Next Level Nootropic pre-workout for energy and focus.
Review: The Intensify formula includes 450 mg Mucuna with L-dopa, a precursor to the motivation and mood enhancer dopamine.
Stimulants Caffeine and Theobromine give you a boost, and the Yohimbe HCL will get your blood pumping and assist in fat loss.
- Tastes good and mixes well.
- 250 mg of stimulating caffeine.
- 450 MG of Mucuna L Dopa provides motivation and a nice mood lift.
- Uses artificial sweetener and colors.
Best pre-workout for focus and energy for the money.
Genius Consciousness Supplement
Review: This novel pre-workout contains Dynamine Methylliberine which acts on the dopamine receptors to elevate mood and energy.
This ingredient along with Tyrosine, a dopamine precursor, will leave you feeling alive, awake and enthusiastic.
Alpha GPC, Huperzine and PhosphatidylSerine improve your mental game and help build a mind muscle connection, while the small amount of caffeine gives a little boost and can be paired with Genius caffeine if you prefer a stronger jolt of caffeine.
- 100 mg caffeine per serving.
- Tyrosine and Dynamine boost dopamine and motivation.
- Alpha GPC and Huperzine promote focus.
- Does not mix or dissolve well.
Not over loaded with caffeine and stimulants, this nootropic based pre-workout will give you the mental edge you seek.
Steel Supplements Focused-AF
Review: Steel Supplements Focused-AF is aptly named with three focus promoting nootropics, Sulbutiamine, noopept and Huperzine.
A moderate measure of caffeine enhance the nootropic effect and the addition of Mucuna pruriens boosts your brain level of dopamine which helps motivate you to power through your workout and elevates your mood.
- 200 mg energy producing Caffeine.
- 100 mg of motivation and mood enhancing Mucuna L Dopa.
- Nootropics Sulbutiamine, Noopept and Huperzine keep you laser focused.
- Expensive and uses artificial ingredients.
Strong nootropic based focus enhancer with a good dose of caffeine and Mucuna.
Vaxxen Labs Fulcrum Pre-Workout
Review: Fulcrum is an intense pre-workout that includes Dynamine, an epinephrine and norepinephrine releaser and also acts on dopamine receptors.
This powerful ingredient elevates energy and mood. If that’s not enough, this supplement is packed full of stimulants, focus agents and mood lifters.
Fulcrum includes the novel ingredient Halostachine which is a stimulant similar to PEA and Ephedrine that boost motivation and mood.
- 300 mg Caffeine, including 50 mg of the slow release version di-caffeine malate.
- Tyrosine and Rauwolscine elevate mood and attention.
- Halostachine is hard to find, yet powerful stimulant and mood enhancer.
- Only 20 servings per container.
Works as advertised, easily one of the best pre-workouts for focus 2019.
Gorilla Mind Smooth Nootropic Formula
Review: Gorilla Mind shows promise as a pre-workout with powerful components like PEA HCL, a mood lifter and energizer.
DMAE and tyrosine paired with the PEA give a “feel good” effect. Alpha GPC and Huperzine are great for mental clarity, mind-muscle connection and laser-like concentration.
- Caffeine FREE pre-workout.
- Supports performance at the moment and works to create and maintain balance going forward.
- Generous amount of ingredients that lift your sense of well-being.
- Proprietary blend does not show dose of each ingredient. Boo!
Powerful nootropic pre-workout blend for enhanced well-being and mind muscle connection.
Here are 16 more thermogenic pre-workouts you can check out.
Stay updated on the latest supplement news.
Don’t forget to sign up for the newsletter and we will let you know when more gear and updates to the list of the best pre-workouts for focus are released.