TOP 13 Best Free Standing Punching Bags That Aren’t Crap Reviewed in 2023
Do you want an intense, stress-relieving, punching bag workout at home, but hanging one is absolutely out of the question?
Some people say free-standing heavy bags suck. And many do!
Here I have 13 of the best free-standing punching bags that aren’t crap.
Plus, I included a quick buying guide to free-standing punching bags and a free-standing heavy bag FAQ section to answer all your questions.
Let’s start with those reviews first!
- TOP 13 Best Free Standing Punching Bags 2023
- Century Wavemaster XXL Training Bag
- Ringside Tornado Free-Standing Heavy Bag
- Century Original Wavemaster Free-Standing Bag
- Title Boxing Hydro-Flex H2O Heavy Bag
- Power Systems PowerForce Freestanding Bag
- Century Versys Fight Simulator
- Everlast Power Core Bag
- Century BOB XL with Base Unit
- Everlast Omniflex Freestanding Heavy Bag
- Dripex Freestanding Punching Bag
- Ringside Freestanding Boxing Punching Bag
- Amber Fight Gear Freestanding Punching Bag
- Valor Fitness VB-FSB-67 Free Standing Heavy Bag
- Factors to Keep in Mind Before Buying a Free Standing Heavy Bag
- Free Standing Punching Bag FAQs
TOP 13 Best Free Standing Punching Bags 2023
Century Wavemaster XXL Training Bag
- XXL ADULT PUNCHING BAG - The Wavemaster XXL stands 69 inches tall and measures a full 18 inches in diameter, giving you plenty of space to practice your martial arts technique.
- LARGEST STRIKING AREA - The bag section itself is a whopping 52” inches tall with an 18” diameter making it the largest on the market for freestanding punching bags
- HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL - The striking area features a durable vinyl cover sitting atop high-density foam and the low-profile base and ultra-stable weight distribution, this bag will hold up sturdily to your training routines.
- PORTABLE & EASY TO MOVE - Just tip it onto the edge of the base and rotate to roll. This design makes it ideal for use in home and apartment use because it’s not locked in to one location. Training in your garage? Sure! Roll the XXL out for a few hours, then roll it into a corner and park your car overnight.
- MADE IN THE USA - When You Buy A Wavemaster Punching Bag you are supporting a US Company that provides a punching bag of the highest quality lead free materials.
Review: The Century Wavemaster XXL is one of the largest free-standing heavy bags around. It is made from high-quality material that is gym worthy. In fact, many gyms use this exact bag.
I prefer it filled with sand, because it does not move around as much. It is perfect for metabolic conditioning because unlike a hanging bag, this bag does not give you any time to rest while it swings back your way.
It is one of the wider bags, which is good for practicing body shots, but not ideal for headshots, if you are a boxer.
But if you are a boxer who needs to practice headshots you should also get a free-standing reflex bag.
- Heavy – 270 lbs when sand filled.
- Large diameter, 18”.
- Tall – 69” high.
- Expensive, compared to most others.
Really heavy, best free-standing punching bag for home for boxing and kickboxing.
Ringside Tornado Free-Standing Heavy Bag
- Made with durable vinyl shell
- Fill base tank with 140 lbs. of water or sand
- Large striking surface
- Perfect for gym or home workout boxing fitness training
- Total Height is 68 inches assembled
Review: The Ringside Tornado is a great tool for training speed, reflexes, footwork and accuracy.
The heavy bag is set on a sturdy spring and for each punch you give, one comes right back at you, with ample speed.
This bag forces you to move your feet and body and react to the rebound, similar to sparring with a partner.
- 68” tall.
- Base fills to 140 with water.
- Fast spring action rebound to train reflexes.
- Not height adjustable, not great for kicks, best for boxing.
Train timing, precision and reflexes with the Ringside tornado free standing heavy bag.
Any heavy bag requires the use of heavy bag gloves, even those like this Ringside Tornado that trains for speed.
You can damage your wrists and knuckles if your hands are not properly taped and gloved. Take a look at this list of the best heavy bag gloves and best heavy bag gloves for women and pick up a pair before your heavy bag knocks you out.
Century Original Wavemaster Free-Standing Bag
- Provides Optimal Resistance and Rapid Rebound
- Fill Base with Sand or Water
- Round Base for Easy Roll Away
- 7 Height Adjustments from 47" to 68" in 3" Increments
- Weighs Approximately 250 lbs when filled
Review: The Century Original Wavemaster is a large freestanding heavy bag that is so popular because it works for virtually all compact sports athletes. It has an adjustable striking surface that goes low for low kicks and as high at 68” for punching.
The base is plenty heavy and is 250 lbs filled with water and even heavier with sand. I recommend first filling it with sand, then add as much water as the sand will take on. Then you will have a free-standing bag that will not budge.
The striking surface is high quality and this heavy bag will last for many years and take a beating. For the money, it’s the best you can get.
- Heavy base, over 250 lbs with sand.
- Adjustable height striking surface, up to 68” high.
- Made in the USA, unlike many heavy bags.
- If you fill the base with water, really hard kicks and punches will move it. Use a rubber mat under it, or fill it with sand and water and it will not move.
One of the best freestanding heavy bags you can get for the money. Heavy and stable.
Title Boxing Hydro-Flex H2O Heavy Bag
- Massive 70” tall – nearly 6’ – and a full 16” in diameter provides the ultimate punching, kicking and striking bag for all sizes and skill levels
- Solid dense foam core with a durable canvas backed vinyl cover provides ideal resistance and shock absorption
- Exclusive high-tech PVC rubber Flex-Neck attaches the industrial plastic base to the full-length center pole for slight flex-action
- Base conveniently fills with approximately 275 lbs. of water or sand for excellent stability
- Unique design allows the bag to be slightly tilted and easily rolled to and from training area
Review: The Title Hydro-Flex H20 stands tall and wide, and make a great choice for larger athletes.
The base holds a lot of weight, up to 275 lbs, filled with sand or water. This is a big bag, with some serious resistance and it just feels right to hit.
It does not slide much if filled with sand, so if you like a free-standing bag that stays put, get this one and fill it as full as you can with sand.
- 70 inches tall and 18 inches in diameter, tall and wide.
- Stays put if you fill it with sand.
- Solid, consistent resistance for punches, kicks and knee strikes.
- Challenging to assemble.
Really HEAVY. Best free standing heavy bag for heavy hitters and big guys.
The Title H20 Hydro Flex is a very heavy free-standing bag. But… Noting quite compares to a heavy bag that hangs from a beam and will not move much. Take a look at this list of the best heavy bags if you are considering a hanging heavy bag.
Power Systems PowerForce Freestanding Bag
- 77 inches tall with a 65 inch striking surface, and 3 height settings accommodate users of all sizes
- Designed for kicking and punching with mixed martial arts training and exercise
- Removable foam collar increases or decreases the pivoting of the bag
- Bag and collar are covered in durable fabric with open-cell padding
- Practice strikes and kicks without the need for a hanging bag
Review: This power systems bag is great for MMA, martial arts, kickboxing and other combat sports. At 77” high, it is also great for boxers of any height. This thing stands 6 feet 5 inches by itself.
You can adjust how much spin the bag has by adjusting the foam collar, and the height is adjustable too.
Under the foam collar, which is removable, there is a heavy-duty spring. If you remove the collar, the bag rebounds much faster, making it an excellent tool for speed, footwork and agility training.
The material is high quality, long-lasting, and would hold up in a commercial gym, which is why it is a bit more expensive than others.
This is the tallest, and one of the heaviest freestanding bags in this lineup. It is MY choice for the best free standing punching bag of 2023.
- 77” Tall with adjustable height.
- Removable foam collar to increase or decrease bag rotation and spring action.
- Can be filled with up to 280 lbs of water or sand.
- Strong Canvas Fabric outer.
Tall, heavy, commercial quality, adjustable free standing heavy bag for ALL combat sports.
Century Versys Fight Simulator
- The most versatile System on the market
- Ideal for both Stand-Up and ground training
- Provides you with the most realistic workout next to partner training
Review: You know those inflatable punching bags for kids that pop right back up when you hit them?
Well, this Century Versys bag is the heavy-duty, grown-up version of that bag, and more.
This bag is designed for combat sports like kickboxing, Muay Thai, Krav Maga, MMA and others. You can punch it, kick it, strike it, take it down to the ground and ground and pound it.
When you hit it, it rebounds quickly and pops back up at you. This is a tool designed to train for swiftness and dexterity, and moves more like a sparring partner than a traditional bag does.
- 75″ diameter punching and kicking surface, 66″ tall, 110 lbs – comes prefilled.
- Designed to be taken to the ground.
- Excellent rebound, pops right back up.
- The base is zippered to the bag, and may not always stand straight up.
This free-standing heavy bag is designed for skill and technique for virtually ALL combat sports.
Everlast Power Core Bag
- Powere Core Training Bag for extensive workout
Review: This Everlast Power Core bag is one of the least expensive options on this list.
It can be filled so the base is quite heavy, up to 370 lbs if you use sand. It is great for boxing conditioning and the height is adjustable so it can be used by several people with ease.
- Base is 250 lbs water-filled or 370 lbs sand filled.
- Adjustable height from 54” to 65”.
- Really affordable, great beginner or cardio only bag.
- May leak a small amount if water-filled.
- Base is quite tall relative to other free-standing bags.
Great free standing heavy bag for boxing practice or metabolic conditioning at an affordable price.
Century BOB XL with Base Unit
- Freestanding heavy bag with life-like upper torso
- Creates more striking surface for head or body shot training
- High-strength plastisol body filled with urethane foam
- Polyethylene base holds up to 270 pounds of water or sand
- Rolls easily for transport; multiple height settings
Review: The beauty of Bob is he takes hits like a man. Well, kind of. This free-standing heavy “bag” is the most realistic representation of an actual sparring partner that you can get.
He is perfect for head and body shot training, you can even land a decent uppercut on this guy.
The Century Bob XL is the best for training specifically for accurate shots to sensitive areas like groin, head, ribs, throat and eyes.
He is also height adjustable, from 60” all the way up to 82”, reaching the height of some NBA all-stars.
- Adjustable height from 60” all the way up to 82 inches.
- Base fills with up to 270 lbs of sand.
- Realistic human torso with head, to land accurate shots.
- Bob is a bit expensive.
Best free standing heavy bag for practicing accurate head and body shots. When accuracy matters, get Bob.
Everlast Omniflex Freestanding Heavy Bag
- Nevatear outer shell provides durability and functionality
- Omniflex neck allows for maximum impact absorption and reduced base movement
- Low profile base design for punches and kicks
- Approximately 130lbs when filled with water
- High grade, shock absorbing foam construction
Review: This Everlast Omniflex can be used for both kicks and punches because it is adjustable from 4 feet up to about 6 feet in height.
It has a lot of spring back and makes a better speed and agility training bag than a bag that takes punches without moving. It will give you an energetic workout that will have you moving around with it.
Simulates ducking and dodging as this spring-loaded heavy bag comes at you and forces you to react, hit back or get out of the way, similar to how a real sparring partner might.
- Bag is adjustable from 4 feet up to 6 feet.
- Spring-loaded, great bounce back and speedy return of the bag.
- Compact profile, good for small spaces.
- Cushion is pretty hard, use boxing gloves or it will hurt.
Best free standing heavy bag for small home gyms and apartments.
While this Everlast Omniflex is pretty speedy, a good speed bag is something every boxer needs to train for speed and practice headshots. Just remember to keep those arms and elbows up!!
Dripex Freestanding Punching Bag
- 【Adult Freestanding Punching Bag】Works on any even floors in home and office. Stands approx 69’’/175cm tall. Great adult or teens (47-73in tall) gift as stress buster and strength builder.
- 【Stable Floor Sucking Base】Rounded ABS base tank is engineered for easy roll relocation. Includes 12 strong suction cups beneath to stop base movement. Weighs up to 205lbs when filled with sand ensure max stability.
- 【Durable&Reliable Material】 Stainless steel tube stand is encased in multi-layer construction: 2mm thickened PU leather striking surface, high-density EPE foam, eco-friendly fabric buffer. Tear-resistant, fast rebound, is sure to withstand long-term onslaught of kicks and punches.
- 【Upgraded Shock Absorbing System】Dual TPU absorbers + springs x 4 achieve 360° shock and noise absorption. TIP:For more intensive strength training, just remove the spring for less vibration.
- 【Please Note】 Base will be more stable if filled with sand than other fillings. (Base and bag shipped separately due to large size, if you just receive one parcel, please contact us).
Review: If you are on a super tight budget, this Dripex is a good free standing heavy bag at a good price.
It stands a respectable 69” tall so you can use it for both kicks and punches. It weighs about 182 lbs filled with sand, which is on the light side, so this heavy bag is good for a lot of dynamic movement.
If you want the base a little heavier, add the sand first, then add water.
This bag has a lot of recoil for quick jabs, because it is on shock-absorbing springs. So instead of tipping over when you punch in, the bag takes the force and comes right back at you, without letting you rest.
You can get a real high energy workout using this inexpensive bag.
- 69” tall.
- Great rebound, comes back at you fast.
- Shock absorbing springs take the force of the hit so the bag won’t tip.
- Really hard to keep suction cups on the bottom clean.
This affordable free standing heavy bag will make a great addition to your at-home cardio routine.
Ringside Freestanding Boxing Punching Bag
- The Free-Standing Fitness Punching Bag is always ready for a solid strength building aerobic fitness workout
- Non-hanging heavy bag design allows you to exercise wherever is most convenient - perfect for your home or commercial gym
- The shock-absorbing foam is encased in a durable vinyl shell and includes an added base pad for protection when kicking
- The plastic base tank can be filled with up to 140 pounds of water to stand against even the strongest boxing and MMA strikes, knees and kicks
- Unlike other free-standing bags this heavy bag can take a hit without falling over - Punch your way to a fit and healthy lifestyle with this solid heavybag
Review: The Ringside freestanding boxing heavy bag is softer on the outside, while plenty dense at the core, making it satisfying to hit without injuring your hand.
This bag will force you to move your feet and duck and dodge, because unlike a hanging heavy bag, this bag swings back at you fast, so you need to hit it with speed or get out of the way, kind of like with a real opponent.
- 15” diameter.
- 140 lbs loaded with water.
- 66 inches tall.
- A little pricy.
This free-standing heavy bag provides an active and dynamic workout that will test your footwork and speed.
Amber Fight Gear Freestanding Punching Bag
- SOLID CONSTRUCTION –Durable shock-absorbing foam is encased in a long lasting synthetic leather shell. The base tank can be filled with up to 270 pounds of sand.
- CONVENIENT- Non-hanging heavy bag design allows you to move around it in 180 degree. Use it wherever is most convenient in your home or in a commercial gym. Three height adjustments allow bag to stand from 52" to a full 69" tall.
- EASY TO STORE – Just roll it to the side when done. The base is non-marking.
- MULTI-USE-Perfect for building aerobic fitness workout, punching, jabbing, kicking or whatever your sport requires. Ideal for health clubs, Boxing gyms, or Karate schools, the design is perfect for martial arts and kickboxing workouts
- KEY FEATURES–Base model is 20” W and 59” H, it can be adjusted up to 69” H. The punching bag area is 14”W x 26” H
Review: The Amber Fight Gear bag is a great bag for the money and suits the needs of any boxer, and can be used in a commercial gym, thanks to the high-quality materials.
It is height adjustable, from 52” all the way up to 69” so just about anyone can comfortably use it. If you use it for kickboxing, MMA or martial arts, you can adjust it lower, and for boxing, adjust the height. It is ideal for all sports.
- Height adjustable from 52” to 69”.
- Fill with up to 275 lbs of sand.
- Commercial quality.
- Can tip if you stand too close while punching.
The best freestanding heavy bag that is adjustable, making it ideal for MMA, boxing, kickboxing and martial arts.
This Amber Fight gear free standing bag is a great addition to your boxing gym. Take a look at this list of essential boxing equipment to round out your home boxing gym.
Valor Fitness VB-FSB-67 Free Standing Heavy Bag
- Shock-absorbing high-density foam core
- PVC leather creates a stronger more durable vinyl covering to withstand the abuse
- Holds over 100lbs of sand
- Strategically placed targets for critical punch Landing locations
- Sand not included
Review: This is an interesting bag, because the base comes unfilled so you get to decide what to fill it with, which determines how heavy it is.
The base can actually hold Olympic size bumper plates perfectly, stacked on each other, so it can get pretty heavy.
You can also add sandbags on top of that. Then you just re-tie the base to the bag and you are done.
The bumper plates also make the base quite stable. The base diameter is about 25”, smaller than most others, so the base stays out of the way while you move.
- Great height 68” tall.
- Dense foam core, good for boxing and kicking along the entire length.
- 25 inch diameter base, more narrow than most.
- Must get the base pretty full to keep the bag stable and upright.
A great free standing heavy bag that is quite tall with a narrow base.
Factors to Keep in Mind Before Buying a Free Standing Heavy Bag
Before you decide on the best freestanding heavy bag for you, consider these four questions and you are sure to pick the right one for your circumstance.
What is the Base Weight of the Free Standing Heavy Bag?
At a minimum, look for a bag that can be filled with water up to 140 lbs. The heavier the base, the less the bag will move around. It’s best if you fill it with sand, or sand first, then water.
Sand is expensive, and a pain to deal with, which is why most prefer to fill the base with water.
If you want a free-standing heavy bag with a really heavy base, take a look at the Power Systems PowerForce Freestanding Bag which is a commercial duty bag that can be made over 300 lbs if you use sand first then water to fill it.
Is the Free Standing Bag Built Heavy or is it More for Speed and Agility?
There are two types of freestanding heavy bags reviewed in this list.
The first type is a truly heavy bag, designed for power punches. This type should not move much. The Title Boxing Hydro-Flex H2O Freestanding Heavy Bag and Power Systems PowerForce Freestanding Bag are good examples of this type of bag.
The other type of free-standing bag here is one that moves a little more. This type of bag is often set on a spring and reacts to your punches and kicks by bending back and springing forward again toward you. This forces you to react by hitting back or moving out of the way.
These bags train you for speed, agility, precision and timing. A good example of this type of bag is the Ringside Tornado Free-Standing Punching Bag and the Everlast Omniflex Freestanding Heavy Bag.
Is the Heavy Bag Height Adjustable? How Tall is the Free Standing Heavy Bag?
If you use the bag for punching, you need a bag that is at least as tall as you are. If you use it to kick, you want the bag surface to be longer to accommodate low kicks.
If several people use the bag, or you use it for punching and kicking, consider an adjustable bag so you can adjust to the height you need. The Amber Fight Gear Freestanding Punching Bag is one of my favorite adjustable free-standing bags that works as well for kicks as it does punches.
What are You Using the Bag for?
Boxing – Heavy Hits
You need a bag with a heavy base and a dense bag core. The Title Boxing Hydro-Flex H2O Freestanding Heavy Bag and Power Systems PowerForce Freestanding Bag are good bets.
Boxing, Precision and Timing
You need a heavy bag that is spring-loaded and tall enough for punching. The Ringside Tornado Free-Standing Workout Punching Heavy Bag and the Everlast Omniflex Freestanding Heavy Bag are ideal for this task.
Low and High Kicks, Punches, Elbows, Knees and Grappling
You need a bag that has a long punching and kicking surface. Maybe even a bag that can be taken down to the ground. I like the Century Versys Fight Simulator for these combat sports.
Are Free Standing Punching Bags Good?
Yes, they are good if you pick the right bag for the right purpose.
Freestanding bags have their own pros that heavy bags do not have.
Free Standing Heavy Bags Move
Yes…some people say this means they suck.
Have you ever had a sparring partner or been in a real fight where the other party does not move? Probably not. So why train that way.
Sure, it’s easier to hit a stationary object, and YES, it is satisfying to land a really hard hit.
But when you are training or fighting a real person, you will not land too many actual power punches, and your opponent will most certainly be moving!
So, training with a bag that moves is more realistic training for a match.
Free Standing Bags Rebound Faster than Hanging Heavy Bags
Hit a free-standing heavy bag and you will see! They come back at you much faster than the heavy bag that hangs by a chain. Heavy bags on a chain can take a second to get back, but free-standing bags are much faster.
So how does this help?
It certainly forces you to use more energy during your workout, plus it trains you for speed, precision and accuracy.
Free Standing Punching Bag FAQs
Is Free Standing Punching Bag Better than Hanging?
It depends. If you absolutely cannot hang anything in your gym area, a free-standing bag is better than no bag.
As I said before. Some like that fact that freestanding heavy bags move more, because you must follow them and move more yourself. Freestanding heavy bags also rebound faster than heavy bags hung by a chain, so they train you to react faster.
A heavy bag that hangs by a chain is better for power punches and also if you want a bag that helps you release frustration and anger by hitting it really hard.
But, the free-standing heavy bag is a decent training tool for boxing, MMA, martial arts, Krav Maga, and other combat sports. They also make a fun cardio session, you don’t necessarily need to practice any specific sport to use one.
How do I Stop My Free Standing Punching Bag from Moving?
Your best bet, if you have a bag that slides around too much, firstly place it on an anti-skid gym mat.
Also, if the base is too light, try this:
First, fill the base with sand. Next, pour in as much water as the sand will absorb. Doing this should make the base about as heavy as it can be, unless of course, you want to fill it with lead. (That’s a joke, don’t fill the base with lead).
What is the Best Free Standing Punching Bag?
My favorite free standing punching bag is the Power Systems PowerForce Freestanding Bag.
It is super heavy, at over 300 lbs when filled with sand and water, super tall at 77”, has a long striking surface so it can be used for kicks and punches and has a removable collar to make the bag either stiffer and upright, or allows it to have flex and rebound, making it extremely versatile.
It is commercial quality with high-quality canvas fabric. It is just a beautiful, well-made free standing heavy bag.
Punching Bag with Stand vs Free Standing Bag?
The punching bag with a stand has one of the same benefits of a hanging heavy bag, and that is they are good for power punches and you can hit them really hard without them moving too much.
The drawback to the heavy bag on a stand is you cannot punch around it and kicking is just awkward with a bag on a stand.
With a free-standing punching bag you can punch and kick all the way around it, no problem.
Now that you’ve seen the best free standing punching bags it’s time to pick one out for your home gym.
Don’t wait, you won’t regret owning one of these powerful training tools.
Don’t forget to sign up for the Garage Gym Power newsletter and be the first to know when new gear reviews and news is released.