20 Best Tasting Protein Powders 2023 – Complete List with Reviews
Looking for a Protein powder you look forward to drinking?
Want a protein powder that tastes like a dessert or treat after a hard workout?
Need a great tasting protein powder you don’t have to force yourself to quickly slam down because of the taste?
Well, my fellow protein powder chugging friend, I have here the protein powder Holy Grail:
The 20 best tasting protein powders out there in one handy list!
- TOP 20 Best Tasting Protein Powders 2023
- BSN Syntha-6 Whey Protein Powder
- Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein Powder
- MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder
- Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder
- Kaged Muscle Premium Kasein Protein Powder
- NitroTech Power 100% Whey Protein Powder
- Six Star Whey Isolate Plus Protein Powder
- Muscle Feast 100% Whey Protein
- Muscle Milk Pro Series Protein Powder
- PEScience Select Protein
- Cellucor Whey Protein Isolate
- Rivalus Rivalwhey Whey Protein
- Isopure Low Carb Protein Powder
- Dymatize ISO 100 Whey Protein Powder
- Universal Nutrition Animal Whey Isolate
- P2N Peak Performance Nutrition Whey Protein
- Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion Advanced Protein
- Pro JYM Protein Powder
- Muscle Milk Genuine Protein Powder
- Myprotein Impact Whey Protein Blend
- Quick Guide to the Best Tasting Protein Powders
- Best Tasting Protein Powder FAQs
- What are the Most Popular Protein Powders?
- What is the Best Tasting Protein Powder for Weight Loss?
- Which Protein Powder Tastes Best with Water?
- Which Protein Powder Dissolves Best?
- What is the Best Protein Powder for Women?
- Which Protein Powder is Best for Smoothies?
- When is the Best Time to Take a Protein Shake?
- Is Whey Protein Good for You?
TOP 20 Best Tasting Protein Powders 2023
BSN Syntha-6 Whey Protein Powder
- BSN SYNTHA-6 IS RIDICULOUSLY DELICIOUS: We broke through the taste barrier once and for all. Choose from a wide range of protein powder flavors that deliver an unbeatable milkshake-like experience.
- BSN PROTEIN MATRIX: 22g of premium protein from whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, calcium caseinate, micellar casein, milk protein isolate, and egg albumin
- 10g OF ESSENTIAL AMINO ACIDS: Additional support for your nutrition and fitness goals
- ANYTIME PROTEIN: Mix up your protein drink and enjoy post workout, between meals, as a snack, or as a treat
- HIGH-QUALITY PROTEIN POWDER: Helps you reap the benefits of every training session by meeting your protein needs for muscle building and maintenance
Review: This is the all-time, gainers favorite for a reason – it tastes GREAT. I have 20 protein powders on this list, but Syntha-6 is at the head of the pack.
If you need to gain, Syntha-6 makes stuffing the calories down from feeling like a chore. Try any of the Cold Stone Creamery flavors-they are off the hook!
Voted best-tasting protein powder for 2023, hands down!
- 22 g of protein and 200 calories in each serving.
- #1 Best taste – gainer approved.
- A gang of yummy flavors available-all great!
- 2 g of added sugar.
Number 1 best tasting protein powder for weight gain.
Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein Powder
- Packaging may vary - new look with the same trusted quality
- Gold Standard 100% Whey - 24g of protein per serving to help build and maintain muscle when taken over time with regular resistance training
- 5.5g of naturally occurring branched chain amino acids (BCAA and 11g of naturally occurring essential amino acids (EAAs) per serving to support muscle recovery
- Anytime formula – great before or after exercise, between meals, with a meal, or any time of day when you need extra protein
- The world's best-selling whey protein powder
Review: ON protein powder is another crowd hit in terms of flavor. You just can’t go wrong with Optimum nutrition protein powder.
The Vanilla and Vanilla ice cream are popular choices and they are both great because you can mix them with fruit or chocolate without a flavor clash.
- The favorite flavor of a good percentage of protein drink fans.
- A good tasting protein powder.
- 24 grams of protein in only 120 calories.
- Double rich chocolate is not as yummy as other flavors.
A really close second to Syntha 6, you can’t go wrong with any of their Vanilla flavors.
MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder
- University-studies formulated: MusclePharm combat protein powder was created for athletes who demand optimized recovery, muscle growth, and support strength.
- Award-winning taste: Our essential whey protein powder mixes easily and goes great with almond milk, water, milk, fruits, and vegetables. It’s perfect for great-tasting smoothies and shakes
- 5 Protein sources: our isolate Whey powder contains 25 g of protein from 5 unique protein sources. They include Both fast- and slow-digesting proteins, fueling muscles and delivering performance for hours
- Banned-substance tested and certified by Informed-Choice. Athletes who see the Informed-Choice logo on a product can be assured it has undergone rigorous checks and testing to ensure that it is not contaminated with banned substances and is safe to use
- 100% Satisfaction guarantee: All MusclePharm products are backed by a 30-day full money-back guarantee.
Review: MusclePharm protein powder not only tastes great, it’s made from a blend of fast and slow digesting proteins for the best of both worlds.
- 25 grams of protein-packed into just 130 calories.
- Award-winning taste – places 3rd here, Right?
- Reasonably priced.
- Does not mix as smoothly as other protein powders.
Great taste and better value than Syntha 6 or ON Protein powders.
Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder
- YOU WILL RECEIVE: 5 lb container of Body Fortress Chocolate Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder
- POWER PACKED PROTEIN: 60 grams of protein and 12 grams of BCAA’s every two scoop serving - helping you train harder and rebuild lean muscle faster(1)
- PROTEIN WHEN YOU NEED IT: Great for pre and post workout or as needed throughout the day in order to meet daily protein recommendations
- NUTRIENT RICH: Amino acids & Creatine help improve training recovery (1) with no aspartame and no gluten
- GREAT TASTE: Delicious rich chocolatey flavor
Review: Make no mistake, Body Fortress is a gainer powder. It has a huge 30 grams of protein and 210 calories in each scoop.
Double the scoops and you are looking at a meal, calorie-wise.
The best things about this gainer protein powder is the taste, the second best thing is the price.
It costs less than a tub of protein powder from the big box stores.
- Great taste.
- Good price.
- 30 grams of protein and 210 calories in each serving.
- Not low carb nor low fat – as I said, this is a gainer protein powder.
Best flavor protein powder for hard gainers.
Kaged Muscle Premium Kasein Protein Powder
- ANTI-CATABOLIC – Each serving contains 25 g of ultra-premium cold-pressed micellar casein isolate for a sustained-release protein that helps prevent muscle breakdown*
- IMPROVE MUSCLE RECOVERY – KAGED MUSCLE KASEIN is a complete protein that gives you essential amino acids to help repair and rebuild muscle during recovery
- MAXIMIZE MUSCLE GAINS – Scientifically proven to boost protein synthesis and enhance gains in size and strength*
- PREMIUM MANUFACTURED – KAGED MUSCLE KASEIN is manufactured using an innovative microfiltration process that preserves the structural integrity of the protein
- TRANSPARENT LABELLING – Each tub of KAGED MUSCLE KASEIN has 100 percent ingredient transparency on the label so you know exactly what you’re putting into your body
Review: Kaged Muscle Kasein mixes smooth, goes down easy and tastes great.
Kaged Muscle Kasein thickens the liquid you mix it with, making it the PERFECT best tasting protein powder for smoothies and milkshake style protein drinks.
- Mixes easy and has a smooth texture.
- Perfect for smoothies and milkshakes.
- This powder mixes thick, just so you know.
Finally, a good tasting Casein protein powder that has a smooth texture.
NitroTech Power 100% Whey Protein Powder
Review: This tasty gainer powder is a great drink for bulking up. It packs 30 grams of protein and 170 calories into each scoop, while still managing to taste good.
As is 30 grams of protein was not enough, this formula includes 3 grams of creatine per serving.
- Includes 3 grams of creatine in each serving.
- 30 grams of protein and 170 calories per scoop.
- Hard gainer approved.
- Uses sucralose in the formula.
Awesome flavor, awesome results, a great gainer protein powder.
Six Star Whey Isolate Plus Protein Powder
- Features 100% Instantized, microfiltered whey protein isolate for a superior protein shake - 60 grams of protein per 2 servings to help support muscle growth and increase strength
- Loaded with fast-absorbing BCAAs, glutamine and whey protein to help you recover from your workouts
- Ultra-Pure Protein Powder - contains no trans fats, only 2 grams of sugar and 1 milligram of cholesterol
- The American Masters of Taste, a prestigious panel of chefs and flavor experts, awarded Six Star Whey Isolate Plus the Gold Medal for Superior Taste against the other whey isolate value brands
- Guaranteed quality - Thirdy party tested and verified, made in the U.S.A.
Review: This really affordable shake has a whopping 30 grams of protein per scoop and tastes really good.
It mixes smooth and is not gritty like some others.
- Good price.
- High protein content per scoop – 30 grams.
- Taste good and mixes well in milk and smoothies.
- Only 17 servings in one container.
Tasty and inexpensive, what a deal.
Muscle Feast 100% Whey Protein
- COMPLETE WHEY PROTEIN SOURCE: pasture raised, grass-fed whey protein powder contains a blend of whey concentrate, whey isolate and hydrolyzed whey (90 Servings)
- EASY TO DIGEST: 100% protein powder digests and absorbs rapidly and has 19 grams of protein and only 98 calories per serving; hormone (rBST/rBGH)-free, gluten-free and Stevia-sweetened
- ESSENTIAL AMINOS: Hormone-free grass-fed whey has 4.5g BCAAs, plus all the essential amino acids for optimal protein synthesis.
- PURE INGREDIENTS: Natural whey isolate is gluten-free, it comes from pasture raised happy cows. Our protein is Orthodox Union Kosher Certified for Dairy and sourced from a country that has banned the use of artificial hormones for bovines; contains no fillers or artificial flavors.
- LABELS MAY VARY: This natural protein blend was recently certified by the American Vegetarian Association to be Vegetarian; We are updating our labels to reflect this information; You may receive a label without the badge; however, the ingredients in the 100% whey isolate have been approved by the American Vegetarian Association
Review: Muscle Feast manages to pull off a feat other protein powders cannot – it tastes good without using sugar or artificial sweeteners.
This stevia-sweetened protein powder mix tastes good with milk and plant-based milk, plus it blends well.
- Made using milk from grass-fed cows.
- No artificial sweeteners.
- Only 98 calories per scoop.
- Since scoop is smaller, only has 19 grams of protein per scoop.
No sugar or artificial sweeteners, a great tasting protein powder without added junk.
Muscle Milk Pro Series Protein Powder
- Contains one (1) 2.54 pound cannister (about 14 servings) of Muscle Milk Pro Series Protein Powder Supplement. Packaging may vary. Shaker bottle sold separately.
- Muscle Milk Pro Series supplies your body with high quality protein to support post-workout recovery and maintenance. Try taking it to-go in a shaker bottle for energizing on-the-go nutrition.
- KEY FEATURES – Based on 1 serving, Muscle Milk Pro Series Protein Powder contains 50g high-quality protein, 3g sugar, and an excellent source of 20 vitamins and minerals.
- VERSATILE AND EASY-TO-MIX – Muscle Milk Pro Series dissolves easily in water; just mix 2 scoops into 10-16 fluid ounces of water using a shaker bottle. Shaker bottle sold separately.
- SCIENCE BEHIND PROTEIN – Muscle Milk Pro Series provides a blend of high-quality slow releasing and fast releasing proteins to help increase amino acid levels. These essential amino acids play a role in maintenance of muscle mass.
Review: Muscle milk is a tried and true brand that has been around for so long thanks in part to its delicious flavor.
It has 25 grams of protein and 155 calories per scoop and can be used for lean gains.
- 25 grams of protein and 155 calories per serving.
- Great value – really tasty.
- Added vitamins and minerals – good nutrition.
- Not low carb.
Yummy and nutritious protein powder.
PEScience Select Protein
- 24G protein per serving | Low carb | Low fat
- More than just whey - Select Protein combines both casein and whey, which is proven superior to whey only
- Over 5 grams of BCAA per serving with added leucine peptides
- Premium high quality taste and mixability | Available in many gourmet flavors
- Third party tested for label accuracy | No cheap fillers or adulterants
Review: Try the Snickerdoodle! PEScience is famous for great taste and high nutrition. With flavors like Snickerdoodle cookie, frosted chocolate cupcake and chocolate peanut butter cup… Hello?!?!
You know it’s going to taste good!
PEScience not only excels in terms of taste, but their whey-casein blend is backed by science and each scoop delivers 24 grams of lean muscle-building protein.
- Fun, yummy flavors.
- 24 grams of protein and just 110 calories per serving.
- Less than 1 gram of carbs per serving…not bad PEScience!
- Uses artificial sweeteners.
Yummy low carb protein powder, my choice for best tasting protein powder for weight loss.
Cellucor Whey Protein Isolate
- CELLUCOR COR-WHEY PROTEIN POWDER - Best used as part of a well-balanced diet that includes whole foods and other protein sources.
- BUILD MUSCLE & STRENGTH - Formulated with Whey Protein Isolate as the primary source to maximize muscle recovery, retention, and growth.
- INCREASE PERFORMANCE & GROWTH - Consume 1-4 servings daily, or as needed to satisfy your personal protein intake requirements
- MULTIPLE USAGE OCCASIONS - Add two scoops into oatmeal, yogurt, pancakes, and other baked good recipes
- DELICIOUS FLAVORS UNLIKE ANYTHING ON THE MARKET - Cinnamon Swirl, Molten Chocolate, Peanut Butter Marshmallow, Whipped Vanilla
Review: Cellucor is a favorite in bodybuilding and weight lifting circles. Their C4 pre-workout, featured in this article of the best pre-workouts, is practically legendary and this Cellucor protein powder follows in those hefty footsteps.
Cellucor Whey is a legend in its own right, delivering 24 g of protein with just 120 calories per scoop, plus BCAAs, Digestive enzymes and did I mention, it tastes GREAT?
- Great deal – 70 servings per tub at a fair price.
- Tasty flavors like Cinnamon Swirl, Molten Chocolate & the Novel Peanut Butter Marshmallow.
- Uses a blend of fast and slow-digesting protein.
- Can be mixed with water and still taste OK.
- Uses artificial sweeteners.
Best tasting protein powder mixed with water, milk and plant milks.
Rivalus Rivalwhey Whey Protein
- Safe And Effective First
- In An Industry With Questionable Legislation, Rivalus Raises The Bar For Standards And Quality Far Beyond The Legal Requirement Or Government Regulatory Bodies.
- All Rivalus Products Are Manufactured In Facilities With The Highest Standards And Meeting Or Exceeding All Safety And Regulatory Approvals
- Whey Is Amongst The Most Popular Protein Sources For Athletes - And For Good Reason
Review: Rivalus makes a great tasting protein powder and is a good value because there are many servings per container.
They offer appealing flavors like cookies and crème and caramel popcorn that really satisfy.
- Uses an enzyme blend to aid digestion.
- 78 servings per container.
- Just 110 calories with 24 grams of lean muscle-building protein.
- Blend of fast and slow-digesting protein.
- Uses Xanthan gum and artificial sweeteners.
Great taste at a great price with only 2 carbs per serving.
Isopure Low Carb Protein Powder
- The cap colors on bottles may vary from the product image shown due to a new cap color transition that is currently in process
- Vitamin C and Zinc Provides Immune Support along with Vitamin E
- 100% WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE - a high-quality protein source providing 25g per serving to support muscle building and recovery
- ZERO/LOW CARB OPTIONS- helps for those watching their calorie intakes
- A PERFECT FIT - supports your active lifestyle and can be used post-workout, between meals, along with a healthy breakfast, or any time of day
Review: Isopure is a great tasting pure isolate protein powder that is not too sweet like some others can be.
This keto-friendly powder is available in low and ZERO carb versions, with great tasting flavors like apple pie and Columbian coffee. YUM!
- Keto friendly! Low and NO carb options.
- Uses 100 percent fast-digesting whey protein isolate.
- Added vitamins and minerals.
- Uses Xanthan Gum.
Best tasting whey protein powder for Keto and Low carb diets.
Dymatize ISO 100 Whey Protein Powder
- 3 lbs of Dymatize ISO100 Birthday Cake Protein Powder (45 Servings)
- 25 grams of protein, 5.5 grams of branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs), & 2.7 grams of Leucine per serving
- Less than 1 gram of fat & sugar per serving
- Scientifically proven, fast-digesting, hydrolyzed, 100% whey protein isolate. If your goal is gains in muscle size and strength, ISO100 is your perfect partner
- Gluten free with less than 0.5g of Lactose
Review: Another 100 percent pure quick digesting Whey protein isolate powder, this Dymatize ISO 100 protein powder tastes great!
Trust me, try the Birthday cake flavor, you will love it!
Orange creamsicle and Cinnamon bun are not bad either. It mixes well and as an isolate, is safe for lactose-intolerant folks.
- 100 percent pure fast-digesting Isolate.
- 25 grams of protein and just 100 calories.
- Just one gram of carbs.
- Uses Sucralose, with stevia to sweeten.
A great tasting whey protein isolate that is low carb and fast acting.
Universal Nutrition Animal Whey Isolate
- Loaded With Whey Protein Isolate - Animal Whey protein powder is made up of the highest quality protein sources, and that starts with the first source being whey protein isolate Fast absorbing and very bio-available
- Packed With Digestive Enzymes - Not only is Animal Whey loaded with isolate protein but it also has the added benefit of digestive enzymes to help you get the most out of each scoop and puts the high quality protein to work quickly and efficiently
- Amazing Taste Profile - Animal Whey is formulated for an amazing taste and it mixes easily and smooth in your drink of choice No chunks, great flavor, no stomach bloating
- High Bioavailability Whey Protein - Each scoop of Animal Whey contains 25 grams of highly bio-available whey protein Our whey protein powder helps repair muscle tissue and reduces post-workout soreness so you can get back to the gym sooner
- High Quality Supplements - Animal Whey is manufactured in the United States in our own facilities We control the quality from start to finish, so you know exactly what is on the label, is what's in the bottle
Review: Universal Nutrition has been in the game for a long time and they have perfected their protein powder aimed at weight lifters and bodybuilders.
Their protein powder is a blend of isolate and concentrated whey which means it has fast and slow-acting proteins.
They have a ton of great flavors including salted caramel and brownie batter.
- Incorporates digestive enzymes into the blend.
- Uses both slow and fast-acting proteins in the mix.
- Low calorie – just 100 calories per scoop with ample 25 g of protein.
- Uses artificial sweeteners and gums as ingredients.
A classic protein powder – tastes great, even just mixed with water.
P2N Peak Performance Nutrition Whey Protein
- 30g Protein
- 4.5g Recovery Blend
- 0 Added Sugar
- No Clump, Easy Mix Blend
- Made in the USA
Review: P2N Performance whey protein is a gainer protein with 180 calories per serving and 38 grams of muscle bulking protein.
The one thing this protein powder does well is it mixes quickly and easily, so if you are running out the door with just a shaker bottle, this powder works.
It has a good flavor too, but some find it too sweet. If sweet is your thing you will really like this protein powder.
- 38 grams of protein and 180 calories per serving.
- Mixes smooth.
- Blend of fast and slow acting proteins.
- Only 18 servings per container.
- Uses artificial sweeteners.
Quick mixing, good tasting protein powder blend.
Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion Advanced Protein
- REAL PROTEIN FOR REAL RESULTS: Created with one goal in mind, to create the cleanest, most delicious protein formula using only the highest quality ingredients.
- MUSCLE GAINS: 25g of protein matrix following a precise scientific ratio of Whey Protein Concentrate, Milk Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate, Micellar Casein and Whey Protein.
- MUSCLE RECOVERY: With 13g of naturally occurring BCAAs and EAAs to support muscle tissue growth and recovery after intense workouts.
- BACKED BY SCIENCE: This isn't your standard cheap stimulant laden formula. We rely on ingredients backed by clinical research and utilize the doses validated by that research.
- THE GASPARI DIFFERENCE: Founded in 1998, Gaspari Nutrition’s mission was and continues to be: To produce the highest-quality, science-based sports nutrition supplements in the world.
Review: Made from the Myofusion Elite protein blend of 4 different proteins, this great-tasting protein delivers muscle building nutrition alongside great taste.
My favorite thing about this protein is that it is easy on the gut, which some others just aren’t, if you know what I am saying. It digests well, and the blend of 4 proteins is responsible for that.
- Easy to mix, can be used with water.
- Blend of 4 proteins – Myofusion Elite Blend.
- Tastes great. Try the vanilla flavor – it’s a favorite!
- Contains gums, artificial sweeteners and hydrogenated oils.
Thick, quick blending easy to digest protein powder.
Pro JYM Protein Powder
- ISOLATE BLEND - Scientific studies have shown that a blend is considerably better for maximizing muscle-building than standard whey protein Alone, This blend contains whey protein isolate, micellar casein, milk protein isolate, and egg white protein.
- GREAT TASTE - No other protein powder surpasses the great taste, texture, and nutrition of Pro JYM. Simply mix with water, milk, almond milk or add other Ingredients For a delicious high protein shake or smoothie. It also comes in chocolate.
- PERFECT RATIO - Pro JYM contains the ideal ratio of the three optimum proteins for building muscle: 50% casein, 40% whey and 10% egg protein. For both men & women, This blend supports your natural strength, energy, endurance & recovery.
- NO SPIKING - Pro JYM does not include cheap amino acids that can lead to protein Spiking. Each serving contains 24 grams of whole proteins, it is optimal for lean muscle growth, as a higher percentage of calories are derived from the protein.
- VERSATILE USE - The Pro Powder is the best before & after workouts, in the morning, between meals and at night. The blend of fast, medium and Slow digesting proteins elevates muscle protein synthesis for longer and supports rebuild.
Review: PRO Jym is created with a 4 protein blend including isolate, egg white, casein, and milk protein.
It also tastes really good and has a gang of loyal fans because it performs and it’s tasty.
White chocolate raspberry or banana cream pie, take your pick, they are all great!
- Four protein blend.
- Fans say THIS is the best tasting protein powder available.
- Satisfying, leaves you feeling full.
- You will pay a premium for the brand name.
One of the best tasting protein powders on the market with a good mix of protein sources.
Muscle Milk Genuine Protein Powder
- Contains one (1) 2.47 pound cannister (about 16 servings) of Muscle Milk Genuine Protein Powder. Packaging may vary. Shaker bottle sold separately.
- HELPS SATISFY HUNGER AND BUILD MUSCLE – Muscle Milk Genuine Protein Powder supplies your body with high quality protein to support post-workout recovery and muscle growth. Or try taking it to-go in a shaker bottle for an energizing on-the-go breakfast.
- KEY FEATURES – Based on 1 serving, Muscle Milk Genuine Protein Powder contains 32g high-quality protein, 2g sugar, and an excellent source of Calcium and Vitamins A, C & D
- VERSATILE AND EASY-TO-MIX – Muscle Milk Genuine Protein Powder dissolves easily in water; just mix 2 scoops into 8 fluid ounces of water using a shaker bottle. Shaker bottle sold separately. Also add to recipes when you are looking for a protein boost.
- SCIENCE BEHIND PROTEIN – Muscle Milk Genuine provides a combination of high-quality slow releasing and fast releasing proteins to help increase amino acid levels. These essential amino acids play a role in muscle growth and maintenance of muscle mass.
Review: This is a classic protein powder made by the iconic brand, Muscle Milk. It is indeed food for your muscles, and as faithful fans can attest, it tastes awesome too!
Muscle milk is DEFINITELY in the gainer category of protein powders with 280 calories and 32 grams of protein per serving, so skinny dudes – drink up!
This one’s for you!
- Solid gainer protein.
- 280 calories per serving.
- Smooth mixing.
- Only 32 servings per tub.
A classic for a reason, helps you gain weight and tastes good too.
Myprotein Impact Whey Protein Blend
Review: This high quality, delicious protein powder contains only 5 ingredients and none of the gut wrenching gums and chemicals found in other protein powders.
Great taste, low calorie protein powder.
Great taste, low calorie protein powder.
Quick Guide to the Best Tasting Protein Powders
It’s What is on the Inside That Counts!
When it comes to the best tasting protein powder be sure and check the ingredients.
The most important ingredient – The Protein Sources
But for the Cliff Notes edition of protein sources here goes:
Whey Protein Isolate
Isolate by definition, is the protein isolated.
They take the whey and remove all other substances leaving just the protein. This protein is about 95 percent pure.
Whey Protein Concentrate
Whey concentrate is whey with most other substances filtered out, leaving the protein.
What’s the difference between isolate and concentrate, we, the concentrate is less pure than isolate, at about 75 to 85 percent protein.
Whey vs Casein Protein
We did a full write up on Whey vs Casein protein right here, so take a look.
But basically, Whey breaks down at a slower rate than Casein. Casein is considered fast-acting, whereas whey takes more time to digest.
Egg White as a Protein Source in Powders
Egg whites are high protein, low carbs, low calories and are sometimes used in protein powders aimed at weight loss.
What’s the Deal with BCAAs
When you workout, BCAAs, or Branched Chain Amino Acids in your blood decrease.
Levels of tryptophan, go up. If you have ever feasted on turkey for Thanksgiving day and felt super sleepy afterward, that’s because turkey is rich in tryptophan.
So if a drop of BCAAs causes a spike in tryptophan, you are going to need a nap.
BCAAs have also been shown to decrease muscle soreness and promote muscle growth.
To Creatine or Not to Creatine?
A few protein powders have added creatine.
I have to be honest I am a HUGE fan of creatine. I love it so much I wrote this in-depth report and all the numerous, scientifically proven, benefits of supplementing with creatine here.
Creatine has these benefits:
- Helps build lean muscle mass
- Helps your body recover and produce ATP faster (think recovery between sets)
- Reduces depression
- Reduces fatigue after a poor night’s sleep
- Increases strength, allowing you to lift more
I would highly recommend supplementing with creatine or using a protein powder with added creatine.
I know most protein powders don’t add much, but even just 3 grams a day is enough because your body can only use a few grams a day anyways.
Best Tasting Protein Powder FAQs
What are the Most Popular Protein Powders?
My personal favorite protein powder brands are Optimum Nutrition, Dymatize, MusclePharm, Muscle Milk, BSN, and Gaspari.
I wrote this article on the best protein powder brands so check it out!
What is the Best Tasting Protein Powder for Weight Loss?
I vote for PEScience Select Protein.
It’s just 110 calories and less than 1 gram of carbs per servings. It tastes great and includes both fast-digesting casein and slow-digesting whey that helps you feel full longer.
Try the Snickerdoodle flavor and thank me later. It is seriously delish, and diet or keto-friendly!
Which Protein Powder Tastes Best with Water?
Universal Nutrition Animal Whey Isolate & Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion Advanced Protein are both good choices.
Both mix smooth and actually taste good mixed with just water.
Which Protein Powder Dissolves Best?
Kaged Muscle Premium Kasein Protein Powder is made from fast-acting Casein powder and has a surprisingly smooth, almost velvety texture right out of the rub you will notice the difference.
It dissolves well in any liquid and does not have the gritty texture some protein powders have.
What is the Best Protein Powder for Women?
FitMiss Delight Protein Powder is one of my favorite. I love that it includes digestive enzymes and a super blend of superfoods like flax, blackberry, African mango, and pomegranate.
Looking for more great-tasting protein powder for women?
I have this specially curated list just for you gals out there.
Which Protein Powder is Best for Smoothies?
I really like Kaged Muscle Premium Kasein Protein Powder mixed with smoothies because it makes the drink a little thicker. If you like your smoothies with some substance, this is the powder for you.
When is the Best Time to Take a Protein Shake?
People take protein powders at all different times. Some use than as a meal replacement, most often for breakfast or lunch replacement.
Some athletes like to take them for recovery after a hard workout.
Some even like to drink them before hitting the gym.
I even know guys, especially those trying to GAIN weight, who take them as a bedtime snack.
There really is no wrong time, but it all depends on your goal. For a complete answer to this question see our article on the BEST time to drink your shake.
Is Whey Protein Good for You?
Yes, it is an inexpensive way to get your protein in. But beware, cheap protein powder has been known to cause digestive issues.
To learn more see this write up on the side effects of whey protein and stay informed.
Love all things fitness-related?
So do we!
So be sure to sign up for the Garage Gym Power newsletter and we will keep you informed of the latest gear reviews and supplement reviews.