Is your supination causing knee pain, shin splints or joint pain?
Do you notice excessive wear on the outside edge of your running shoe?
This list of the 19 best running shoes for supination may be just what you are after.
There is a shoe for just about any supinator here – from trail runners to road runners, plus a quick review of what to look for, and what to avoid in a running shoe if you under pronate as you run.
Shoe Features You Should Look for if You are a Supinator
Shock and Impact Protection
Why supinators need more impact and shock protection?
A small population of runners supinate, around one in ten on average.
Supinators feet roll outwards as their foot strikes the ground, which bypasses the foot’s natural shock absorbing mechanisms.
How does a normal foot absorb shock and impact running?
With a foot that pronates normally, the foot rolls in slightly, momentarily flattening the arch and absorbing shock from the foot strike.
Your foot arch should act as a spring or shock absorber, but if you under pronate, this shock absorbing mechanism does not function as it should.
Since a supinator’s feet roll outward, the shock is not taken up by the arch, and instead, the joins and knees take the hit.
Supination can cause knee problems, shin splints, and other foot pain. Not to mention supinators wear out running shoes differently from normal pronators.
Insoles that help the foot roll slightly inward instead of out help with supination issues and put the force of impact on the arch of the foot.
First, look for a shoe designed specifically for supinators. Many exist and 19 of the best shoes for supination are in the list below.
Second, once you find a shoe, investigate the insole material and design.
The insole should be designed to absorb impact and if possible, correct supination encouraging the foot to roll in or pronate as your foot strikes the ground.
Midsole cushion is another feature you want to check before investing in a good pair of running shoes for supination. The midsole should offer plenty of cushion or padding.
Some shoemakers call this style of shoe “Plush” or even “luxurious” “Pillow like”. Words like “cloud” and “air” are also used to describe the kind of cushion you want.
Cushion is important because it takes the additional shock so your shins and foot joints don’t have to.
Why do supinators need to pay attention to outsole durability and wear resistance?
Supinators tend to wear the outside edge of the shoe prematurely because the foot consistently rolls out as they run.
This means the shoe wears out faster for a supinator than a normal pronator, who will wear the sole evenly.
Reinforcement at the outside edge of the running shoe
Look for a shoe that has extra reinforcement in the heel and outside edge of the outsole.
This additional reinforcement helps the supinator because it allows the shoe to last longer.
Wear and abrasion resistant material
Some manufacturers place denser material or material made to withstand abrasion in high wear areas.
Look for this sturdy material on the outside edge and heel of the shoe.
Running Shoes Features You Should Avoid if You Supinate
Avoid Roll Bars and other “Stability” features.
Stability shoes are designed for runners who overpronate. They encourage the foot to roll out, not in, which is why supinators must avoid them.
Stability shoes and features that encourage an outward roll aggravate supination and make the problem worse.
- Avoid shoes labeled “stability”.
- Avoid features like “roll bars” which encourage an outward roll.
- Avoid shoes labeled “motion control”.
- Avoid shoes labeled for “overpronators”.
Now that we have some basics out of the way, let’s take a look at the reviews.
TOP 19 Best Running Shoes for Supination Reviewed 2019
10 best men’s running shoes for supination.
Brooks Men's Revel 2 Running Shoe
Review: The Brooks Revel 2 is a neutral running shoe with plenty of cushion designed for high to mediums arches.
I like this shoe for supinators because Brooks built the shoe with BioMoGo DNA cushioning that adjusts to your weight and stride, absorbing impact and taking it off your knees and joints.
This shoe has a relatively wide toe box, so your toes can spread naturally as you run, and the one piece knit upper looks at home on the road or in the office if you like a shoe that can transition from work to workout.
- BioMoGo DNA cushion adjusts to your weight, stride, and impact.
- 12mm drop moves you forward.
- Neutral running shoe.
- Not a large color selection available, look more like causal shoes than running shoes.
A comfortable neutral running shoe with a wide toe box.
Altra Men's Lone Peak 4.0 Trail Running Shoe
Review: The Altra Men’s lone peak 4.0 trail running shoe is a neutral cushioned trail running shoe that is suitable for men who under pronate.
The underfoot cushion combined with a durable rubber outsole make this trail running shoe a long lasting and joint saving choice for supinators.
- A-Bound high responsive cushioning.
- Natural shaped, anatomically correct toe box.
- Rugged durable Max Trac rubber outsole withstands wear.
- Runs narrow in the heel area.
One of the best trail running shoes for supination, moderate cushion with a hard-wearing sole.
HOKA ONE ONE Men's Elevon Running Shoe
Review: Hoka One One is a relatively new name in running shoes, but they have already built a solid reputation for their well cushioned shoes.
The Elevon is a plush, neutral running shoe with several features that make it the right choice for supinators.
It has two layers of foot-conforming cushioned midsole while still maintaining a lightweight.
- Outsole is denser on the outside edge to resist wear from supination.
- Moderate cushioning provided by two layers of midsole cushion.
- Breathable one piece upper.
- Some could want the shoes to be more plush.
A good choice for supinators with a more streamlined look than other HOKA shoes.
Nike Men's Air Zoom Vomero 13 Running Shoe
Review: This plush NIKE ride will leave supinators smiling run after run with the plush midsole and air zoom technology that takes impact off the joints.
Any under supinator is sure to love this shoe.
- Nike Lunerlon cushioning.
- Air zoom units at the heel and forefoot.
- 10 mm drop keeps your stride zooming forward.
- Runs small, order a half size up.
Best running shoes for supination 2019 – a plush, responsive shoe that alleviates impact.
Altra Men's Torin 3.5 Road Running Shoe
Review: A neutral road running shoe by Altra with a natural “toe shaped” toe box, responsive cushioning and scant 8.5 ounce weight make this shoe a great choice for city terrain performance runners.
The plush shock absorbing midsole cushion and strong wear resistant foot pod outsole make the Torin 3.5 a good choice for supinators.
- Cushioned neutral road running shoe.
- A-Bound midsole cushion.
- Foot cradling insole for an added layer of plushness.
- The shoelace hole is not too durable, may tear.
A light, cushy ride for runners who under pronate.
Newton Men's Fate IV Running Shoe
Review: The popular Newton Fate 4 is a great running shoe for supinators because it incorporates Newtonium midsole cushion that gives awesome energy return while absorbing joint damaging shock.
The shoe has lugs in the heel and forefoot that provide additional traction and cushion for a comfortable ride.
- Wear resistant rubber outsole.
- Newtonium Midsole cushion absorbs shock and returns energy.
- Low drop puts your foot in a natural position.
- Really brightly colored shoes, you better like receiving attention if you wear these.
Bouncy and responsive with the impact protection you need make this Newton Fate 4 one of the best supination running shoes.
Saucony Men's Echelon 5 Running Shoe
Review: The Saucony Echelon 5 is a neutral running shoe that has high impact protection making it a great shoe for under pronators.
The Power Grid midsole cushion provides a great deal of cushion and is excellent at returning energy for an energetic stride.
- Neutral highly cushioned shoe.
- Fresh breathable upper.
- Power Grid Midsole cushion.
One of the best men’s running shoes for supination, a tried and true version of the Echelon.
Salomon Men's X-Mission 3 Trail Running Shoe
Review: This X-mission 3 trail running shoe from Salomon will take you over any terrain in all weather conditions.
The high traction abrasion resistant outsole make this a trail runner’s favorite, and the well-cushioned midsole and additional plushness insole contribute to add to the shoe’s impact resistance.
- Shaped foot bed insole – good arch support.
- Abrasion-resistant outsole.
- Highly cushioned.
Under Armour Men's Charged Bandit 3 Running Shoe
Review: This neutral cushioned running shoe for men by Under Armor made my list of best shoes for supinators because of the charged cushioning midsole that protects the under pronators knees and joints from the extra striking impact supinators make when they run.
The firm rubber sole is reinforced at the heel and outer edge, where supinators are more likely to create friction and wear.
- Responsive and plush “Charged Cushioning” midsole foam.
- Solid rubber outsole with extra coverage in high wear zones.
- Anti microbial insole adds plushness and inhibits microbe growth.
- Not for slick surfaces or wet conditions.
NIKE Men's Air Max 2017 Running Shoe
Review: The NIKE air max 2017 is a highly recommended model for supinators. Nikes classic and innovative air max technology provides superior cushion combined with a responsive bounce to alleviate shock and put bounce in your stride.
- Air Max air units supply plenty of impact protection.
- Soft wrap around midsole adds an additional layer of cushion.
- 13 mm drop catapults you forward as you run.
- The sole tends to wear faster than other NIKE models.
Attractive and well cushioned, a good looking running shoe for runners who under pronate.
8 best women’s running shoes for supination!
Newton Women's Gravity 7 Running Shoe
Review: The Newton Gravity 7 has several shock absorbing features that make it our choice for female runners who supinate.
The Newtonium cushioning combined with the action-reaction technology in the heel and midfoot work together to take the force of impact from your running stride.
This protects knee and ankle joints and is especially important for runners who supinate and do not disperse strike impact well.
- Newtonium cushioning protects from impact and has great rebound.
- Action-reaction technology in the heel and midfoot to absorb impact.
- Anatomically correct insole adds comfort.
- Runs small, laces are short.
Plenty of bounce back from a shoe that will spare supinators knees and joints. My choice for best women’s running shoes for supination.
Brooks Women's Ghost 11 Running Shoe
Review: The Brooks 11 Ghost is great for any runner who supinates as it has BioMoGo midsole foam that adjusts to your strike to take on impact no matter if you are a heel striker or toe striker.
The BioMoGo, combined with the DNA Heel crash pad absorb shock to save your knees and feet from injury.
The segmented rubber sole assists in dispersing impact and is reinforced at the heel and outside edge to add durability to the outsole.
- DNA Heel Crash pad for softer heel strike and better shock attenuation.
- Supportive – good for high arches.
- One piece flexible knit upper with textured overlay for durability.
- The toe box is a bit shallow.
Best running shoes for supination and high arches for ladies.
Nike Women's Air Zoom Terra Kiger 4 Running Shoe
Review: The Kiger 4 is a trail running shoe by Nike that is on my list of best trail running shoes for supination because of the cushy midsole and strategically placed Zoom Air Technology in the heel and forefoot that make this shoe an impact absorbing and energetic ride.
The durable lugged outsole adds to the appeal, and robustness of this shoe allows you to use it in all terrains and weather.
- Zoom air placed in the front and heel area.
- Excellent traction in the rain and on the trail.
- Minimal drop and low stack height for a natural foot position.
- Size up, these Nikes run small.
Comfortable and durable trail running shoes that hold up under all weather conditions.
Altra Women's Escalante 1.5 Running Shoe
Review: The toe shaped neutral road running shoe by Altra is sure to be a favorite of under pronators due to the responsive and impact soothing Altra Ego midsole, cushy 6mm insole and extremely light weight.
- Just 6.4 oz for women’s size.
- 0 drop shoe with a natural foot shape so you can run as nature intended.
- Altra shoes for women are designed for the anatomical shape of women’s feet.
- Vegan running shoe – no animals were harmed in the making of this shoe.
- Knit upper is not stretchy.
Super light weight, reasonably cushioned, neutral vegan running shoe for supinators.
Under Armour Women's Micro G Pursuit Running Shoe
Review: This neutral road running shoe by Under Armors has ample room for wide feet and an insole that supports high arches.
It also has a durable rubber outsole and enough cushion to absorb the extra shock from under pronation, which is why I included it in the list of best women’s running shoes for supination.
- Neutral padded road running shoe.
- Insole with arch support, and energy returning padding.
- Durable high traction tire inspired outsole.
Light and comfortable, one of the best running shoes for supination and plantar fasciitis for women.
Saucony Women's Echelon 6 Running Shoe
Review: The Saucony Echelon 6 was designed with under pronators and women who supinate in mind.
The shoe is well cushioned and has a sole designed to disperse shock and keep it from causing knee and joint pain.
The shoe has 3mm of Everrun cushion to further reduce impact, making the Echelon a smooth ride.
- 3mm of “Everrun” spans the midsole offering impact protection.
- Plenty of room for orthotics or feet with very high arches.
- Plush with neutral support.
- Runs a bit large and stiffer than the previous model.
Generous width and roomy enough for an orthotic, great running shoes for supinators.
ASICS Women's GEL-Cumulus 20 Running Shoe
Review: The Asics Gel-cumulus has many features that make it a great shoe for runners who under pronate.
The rear and front gel pads attenuate shock, which for feet that supinate do not disperse well. The flytefoam midsole that spans the length of the shoe is another shock absorbing layer that helps with impact, keeping it from your joints.
The Flytefoam propel technology in the forefoot minimizes toe strike impact and propels you forward during toe-off.
- Rear and forefoot gels.
- Light, bouncy, shock absorbing Flytefoam midsole.
- High abrasion rubber outsole to protect against wear.
The Asics Gel Cumulus running shoes will help you avoid shin splints and alleviate extra shock caused by feet that under pronate.
HOKA ONE ONE Women's Bondi 6 Running Shoe
Review: This ultra plush road running shoe by Hoka, the Bondi 6 is a neutral shoe ideal for under pronators who need the added impact protection provided by the abundant cushion and wear resistant outsole on the Bondi 6.
- Meta rocker curved bottom.
- Plush cushion thanks to EVA midsole.
- Neutral low drop running shoe.
- Very padded and thick, not flexible.
Brooks Women's Cascadia 13 GTX Trail Running Shoes
Review: The Cascadia 13 Trail running shoe by Brooks is a well cushioned neutral trail running shoe that incorporates Brooks BioMoGo cushion in the midsole.
This unique material conforms to your stride taking up the shock and sparing your shins and feet from impact.
- Support for medium to high arches.
- BioMoGo Midsole cushion.
- Gor-tex upper protects your feet from rain and mud.
- Lace holes need to be reinforced.
One of the most comfortable Cascadia versions yet, well cushioned with a smart fit.
That’s it for this list of the 19 best running shoes for supination.
Check out the garage Gym Power list of the 19 Best Shoes for Under Pronation for more excellent running shoe recommendations.
Sign up for the newsletter and be notified of new reviews and fitness content.
Gain access to exclusive content only available to newsletter subscribers.