The Best 22 Exercise Equipment for Seniors & Machines 2022
Garagegympower is reader-supported. When you purchase through links in our articles, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Are you looking to get more fit in your later years?
With the new year, my father was on the hunt for exercise equipment to get himself back into a little bit of shape.
So, I helped him out. I did some research. And I narrowed down the best exercise equipment for seniors.
In this article, I’ll outline the best cardio machines for seniors, the best at-home exercise equipment for seniors, and the pros and cons of each piece of equipment.
This is how we select and evaluate products on GGP
In this article, we review a number of popular products that we have found using in-depth research and analysis work. The products you find in the article are sold by one or more of our partners. Although these partnerships may influence the range of products in the article, our recommendations are based on an overall assessment of the product.
We evaluate and compare products in the article based on:
- Official and impartial product tests
- Customer reviews and opinions about the product
- Data on user behavior and preferences
- Specifications, characteristics, and disadvantages of the product
- Guarantees, service, and reputation of the dealer
Apart from that, we compare the price and quality of each product and deliver our subjective assessments and recommendations to our readers. The position of the product in the list does not necessarily reflect its quality, as all the products we review are picked as the best choice for certain users.
Sole E35 Elliptical Trainer System
What makes this one so special?
It’s all about the features.
The Sole E35 has adjustable pedals, stride length, and incline. You can progressively challenge yourself.
- Features. Natural running motion provided by whisper quiet drive system. Full body workout thanks to forward and reverse functionality.
- Rated for users up to 375 lbs. Model Number: E35. Made in Taiwan.
More about Sole E35 Elliptical Trainer System
And that’s not all…
There’s more. It further has a chest strap heart rate monitor, handlebar pulse grip, a built-in fan, water bottle holder, and a sound system.
Yet, it is a higher quality elliptical, meaning it isn’t the most affordable option. But on the other hand, you do get a lot for your money.
Teeter FreeStep Recumbent Cross- Trainer
Don’t bash it until you try it!
I know this one looks like a bike – but it’s a cross between an elliptical and a recumbent bike.
So, why did this product make the list?
- ZERO-IMPACT EXERCISE: Ideal for all fitness levels. The naturally-reclined seated position eliminates stress on the joints and back and reduces body fatigue while delivering a total body, fat-burning cardio workout. A great exercise option for those with Arthritis, Parkinson's or MS.
- WHISPER-QUIET, FLUID STRIDE: The natural striding motion follows a smooth, linear path to protect your knees and joints. A simple turn of the dial takes the near-silent variable magnetic resistance from zero to intense to accommodate a range of goals.
- TOTAL BODY WORKOUT: Dual power motion works your upper and lower body simultaneously, engaging all major muscle groups to build strength and burn more calories. Modify the workout by isolating your legs or arms for added intensity.
- SMART DESIGN: Track progress with the easy-to-read, battery-powered digital console; device stand and water bottle holder; convenient transport wheels.
- COMMERCIAL-GRADE ENGINEERING: Friction-free linkage system means long-lasting use; Low-profile 54" x 38" footprint.
More about Teeter FreeStep Recumbent Cross
It’s the perfect exercise equipment for seniors. It’s comfortable. It’s easy on the joints. And it’s a good workout that engages your full body.
The other cool part? You can isolate your arms or legs depending on the program you select.
It’s further slightly more affordable than a regular elliptical and is much more versatile.
Nautilus E616 Elliptical Trainer
We’re back to the classics. This elliptical trainer has an abundant amount of features, including an adjustable fan, Bluetooth, a training app, a media shelf, mp3 input, and a USB media charging port.
- With enhanced Bluetooth connectivity, users can set, track and monitor progress with popular app-based tracking tools
- Explore the world and discover 50+ global routes that auto-adjust in real time to your speed (Explore the World subscription required)
- 20" Precision Path stride length for a variety of users
- 25 levels of resistance for a wide range of workout intensity options
- High speed, high inertia drive system with a perimeter weighted flywheel for easy start up and smooth, consistent workouts
More about Nautilus E616 Elliptical Trainer
But get this:
It has ergonomically placed padded moving and static handlebars offering many different hand positions and even more comfort.
It’s further a very durable option and has 29 different programs available to try.
Cubii Pro – Under-Desk Elliptical
Under-the-desk ellipticals are great options for home offices. They’re easy on the joints and allow you to get fit while you sit.
This under-desk elliptical, in particular, connects with Fitbit. If you’re looking to get in your 10 000 steps per day, this might be the elliptical for you.
- DESK EXERCISE COMPACT ELLIPTICAL - Designed with ultra-smooth gearing and a compact design, Cubii home ellipticals are ideal for exercising at home or the office without stressing your joints!
- SET & TRACK FITNESS GOALS - The Cubii mobile app syncs with iPhone and Android cellphones, Fitbit smart bands, and Apple Health Kit to track your distance pedaled, calories burnt, and more.
- PORTABLE ELLIPTICAL - Workout while you work or rehab while you rest! The Cubii under desk elliptical is perfect for use at your desk, the couch, or even at your dining room table.
- MINI EXERCISE BIKE - Move a little more and burn up to 125 calories per hour while you pedal and sit with a good book, watch your favorite show, or work at your desk.
- WHISPER-QUIET SEATED ELLIPTICAL - This under desk pedal exerciser is near silent during use so that you won’t disturb your colleagues at work or struggle to hear the TV while you watch!
More about Cubii Pro – Under-Desk Elliptical
But there’s more…
It’s also a good option for seniors recovering from an illness or in bad health. It’s low impact, and even when a person is barred from exercise, it’s still a way to get a little movement in.
However, always ensure you check with your doctor before trying any new piece of exercising equipment.
ProForm Performance 300i Treadmill
For an affordable treadmill option with all the basics, the ProForm Performance 300i is it. The belt is cushioned, making it very comfortable for the feet and joints. It has a media shelf, along with built-in Bluetooth speakers.
Its top speed racks in at 10mph, which is great for those that want to use it for a brisk walk or light jog.
- Discover Trainer-Led Workouts at Home; A 30-day iFit trial membership gives you access to interactive training sessions, on-demand studio & global workouts, and connected fitness tracking in your home
- Large LCD Display; Track distance, cadence, and estimated calorie burn; Stream interactive iFit workouts to your own tablet or smartphone to stay engaged and motivated as you train
- 10 MPH Digital QuickSpeed Controls; 10% Digital Quick Incline Controls; Adjust your speed and incline with the touch of a button or let your iFit Trainers auto-adjust your treadmill as you run
- 16” x 50” Belt; Recommended for runners under 6-feet tall; ProShox cushioning for a more comfortable workout; Folding SpaceSaver design for compact storage; Auxiliary port with dual 2” speakers
- 300-pound user weight capacity; Protected with a 5-year frame warranty and a 90-day parts & labor warranty; 59” H x 29” W x 55” L
ProGear HCXL 4000
This treadmill doesn’t have as much power as the one above. Its top speed comes in at 4mph.
The screen display makes it easy to see your statistics – even at a quick glance. The handlebars around the perimeter of the treadmill add extra safety. The speed controls are even accessible on these handlebars.
- Tested up to 400lbs of user weight
- Extra Wide 20" treadmill belt like you would find in Health Clubs
- 1.5 Horse Power High Torque Motor utilizes "Quiet Drive" which reduces any noise when walking
- Measure your target heart rate
- Jog at 4mph for a vigorous workout
More about ProGear HCXL 4000
Again, its top speed isn’t as fast. The belt is rather short compared to other treadmills. It also doesn’t have as much cushion on the belt as other options do.
GYMAX Walking Treadmill
This treadmill is made for walking. As such, it has good power for varying walking speeds. It’s a fairly lightweight machine. And the full-length handrails also provide safety and security, even at higher speeds.
You won’t be able to see your walking stats and it has few extras. The actual belt is also fairly small and not meant for bigger individuals.
- Humanized Long Arms for the Senior-🚶 This treadmill is designed for the seniors with two extra long arms as support, The long arms help the seniors walk steadily, which efficiently prevents accidents while the seniors workout on the belt.
- Solid Frame- 🚶♀️Frames are made of reinforced steel to ensure the durability. It will not damage easily and greatly extends the service life. The wide running belt provides comfort and steadiness to the seniors in the workout.
- Double Safety Design- 🚶♂️While the safety key connects you and the machine to ensure the seniors' safe walking, the treadmill emergency stop button serve as a double protection to protect any unexpected injuries.
- Visible Calories- 🏃Easy to read LED screen indicates time, speed, calorie, distance, mode, keeping a track of your performance and monitor your progress. It gives the elderly an efficient and planned workout.
- Foot Pads to Protect Floor-🏃🏿Features foot pads to protect the floor from any possible damage.
SereneLife Smart Digital Folding - Treadmill
This treadmill is a good selection for those that definitely want to progress up to running strides. It also has a manual incline setting and button, 16 preset programs to choose from, and a big and visible display screen.
- Foldable design: With the SereneLife folding treadmill, performing your cardio workout will be more enjoyable and convenient. This innovative fitness equipment is both performant and a space-saving solution, as it can be folded with no effort, so you can
- Sports app connection: Our foldable treadmill features a sports app connection that can help you stay engaged and focused during your training. Also, with full access to a wide range of fitness sessions, our treadmill will help you shake things up in your
- LARGE RUNNING SURFACE: 15.75" x 43.30" walking/running surface, Start/Stop and speed control on the handles for easy control, And a 5" digital LCD display screen with touch button controls that displays run time, distance, speed, calories burned.
- High-performance: This professional home workout equipment can help you achieve your fitness goals and stay active. It has a maximum speed of 7.5mph and 16 preset training programs, that can help you perform high-intensity cardio training in the comfort o
- Custom fitness session: The SereneLife treadmill for home features adjustable speed settings and 3 incline options, so you can build your custom training program. Also, this 1.5HP motorized treadmill has integrated sensors that measure your pulse and an L
More about SereneLife Smart Digital Folding
Another thing going for it?
It folds away for simple and easy storage. If you’re tight on space, this is a great one to consider.
Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike
This bike is great for seniors and those bouncing back after a recent injury.
Its biggest and brightest feature?
It has one of the most comfortable seats when it comes to recumbent bikes. And that’s what makes it great for all ages.
- With enhanced Bluetooth connectivity, users can set, track and monitor progress with popular app-based tracking tools.
- Explore the world and discover 50plus global routes that auto-adjust in real time to your speed
- Fully-loaded console with DualTrack blue backlit LCD screens offers 29 workout programs and visibility to workout metrics, even when the media tray is in use
- 25 levels of resistance for a wide range of workout intensity options
- Telemetry heart rate enabled and ergonomically placed grip heart rate for a relaxed riding position when using a heart rate program
More about Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike
The flywheel design also offers an easy start-up, eliminating the struggle to get the bike going.
The Bluetooth further allows you to sync up the bike with your Schwinn trainer app, which has a variety of programs and workouts specifically for seniors.
Exerpeutic 900XL Recumbent Bike
The Exerpeutic bike has an eight-level magnetic control system, which provides challenge and customization to your workout. The display is also easy-to-read, clearly indicating the time, distance, calories burned, speed, and heart rate.
- Recumbent stationary bike offers challenging cardiovascular workout while minimizing stress on your joints and back
- Eight-level magnetic tension control System allows you to customize your ride and challenge yourself over time
- Folding waterproof PVC equipment mat (79"l x 35.4"W x .24"H) included for floor protection and noise reduction when exercising
- Large, easy-to-read LCD display indicates distance, calories burned, time, speed, and heart RATE information
- 300-pound maximum user weight. One year limited Warranty
More about Exerpeutic 900XL Recumbent Bike
And here’s the deal:
While it might not have any glory-worthy features exactly, the Exerpeutic bike does come in at an affordable price. For the money, you get what you pay for – an easy-to-use and fairly comfortable product.
So… if you’re on a budget, this is undoubtedly the best exercise machine for elderly individuals (and possibly the best recumbent bike option).
Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike- ME-709
Don’t worry – if you’re on a budget, you’ve got even more options.
This bike offers padded seating, comfortable and stable pedals, and a smaller bike frame.
The downside to this one?
It doesn’t come with its own heart rate monitor.
- STEP-THROUGH DESIGN – Featuring heavy-duty construction 14-gauge steel tubing with a powder coated finish, the step-through design allows maximum mobility during training for quick mounting and dismounting that is created easier for the knees and back. Please note: This item requires assembly
- EIGHT RESISTANCE LEVELS – This stationary bike uses a magnetic resistance mechanism with 8 levels of resistance. The tension knobs control the difficulty to simulate riding on different terrains and customize your workout according to fitness level
- EASY-TO-READ COMPUTER SCREEN – The ultra-functional LCD computer screen acts as a odometer and has a sharp panel display that shows time, speed, distance, and calories burned in extra-large numbers for great readability.
- COMFORTABLE PADDED SEAT – The equipment has an ergonomically designed saddle furnished with comfortable high-density foam. It features contoured foam-covered handles for extra support of the back and arms to help maintain proper form when exercising.
- COUNTERBALANCED PEDALS – Weighted pedals designed to provide maximal foot support while offering ultimate control. This bike is equipped with adjustable foot straps to create the perfect fit for your feet.
Stamina Elite Total Body Recumbent - Bike
This is a recumbent bike with a twist.
It not only has pedals for your feet, but it also has hand pedals. In other words, you get to work both your upper and lower body all in one go.
- DUAL UPPER & LOWER-BODY WORKOUT: Engage the glutes, buttocks, and calves with the traditional recumbent bike design. Switch over to the upper hand pedals to strengthen the arms, shoulders and back.
- ADJUSTABLE RESISTANCE: Turn the dial to adjust between any of the eight levels of smooth, quiet magnetic resistance. Track speed, calories, heart rate, distance and workout time on the LCD monitor.
- COMFORT ELEMENTS: Includes Padded upper and lower handles with integrated heart rate sensors, padded & adjustable seat and backrest, textured foot pedals with adjustable straps, and anti-skid end caps.
- SUPPORTED BY SMART AUDIO COACHING: This product is fully supported by müüv, the all-in-one app that provides smart guided audio coaching, a follow-along assembly video, personalized workouts tailored to the equipment you own, and more.
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: Sturdy steel frame, built-in wheels for easy transport; Max weight capacity 250 lbs. (113.4 kg); Product weight: 121 lbs.; Dimensions: 52” L x 24” W x 49” H
More about Stamina Elite Total Body Recumbent
It further adds another element to improve your balance. With the absence of handlebars, you must rely on your core and torso (as well as the backrest) to keep you stable.
Although, this bike likely isn’t for those that are looking to get back in shape. Instead, it’s more geared toward those seniors that have maintained a certain level of fitness as they’ve aged.
If you’re looking to get back in shape, the other recumbent bike options may prove to be more suitable.
Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent - Bike
The Exerpeutic brand also has a folding recumbent bike option. If you’re tight on space, folding exercise bikes are likely exactly what you need. They save space and are very affordable.
The seat and backrest are also padded, meaning it provides relative comfort to the rider. The display, similar to other recumbent bikes, is easy-to-read.
It allows you to track your distance, time, speed, calories, and heart rate.
- Foldable recumbent exercise bike with quiet V-belt double-drive transmission System. Precision-balanced flywheel; 8-level adjustable magnetic tension control System
- Folding waterproof PVC equipment mat(79"l x 35.4"W x .24"H) for floor protection and noise reduction when exercising
- Easy-to-read LCD display tracks your distance, calories, time, speed, and heart RATE
- Semi-recumbent design for easy entry and exit; large seat cushion and backrest
- Supports up to 300 pounds; Product setup dimensions: 33”L x 19”W x 46”H
Fitness Reality 1000 Plus Magnetic - Rower
This rower isn’t just suitable for your typical row. In fact, this machine can be transformed into other set-ups where you can isolate your biceps, triceps, shoulders, thighs, and more.
The Bluetooth feature also makes it great for tracking your workouts each and every time.
- 【TRUE FULL BODY WORKOUT】- Our unique rowing machines for home use are popular for a reason. It's a leg exerciser, butt workout , arms and shoulder exerciser. The flippable flat pedals provide a stable workout platform when you're toning your arms, lats, shoulders and more
- 【ULTRA QUIET DESIGN】- Our Nylon Belt Drive System is Engineered so Quiet, You Can Watch TV or Listen to Music While You Workout.
- 【14 LEVELS RESISTANCE FOR ALL FITNESS LEVELS】-Take it easy on level 1 or go hard at level 14. Enough resistance for beginners and advanced rowers alike.
- 【REAL TIME WORKOUT ANALYTICS】- Designed to work with the MyCloudFitness App, available on IOS and Android. Track your Distance, Calories, Total Count, Strokes per Minute, and much more for FREE. Your data is always at your fingertips. Compatible with Apple Health and Google Fit
- 【FITNESS CLASSES & NUTRITION TRACKING】-Get access to hundreds of on demand classes in Rowing, Cycling, Yoga, Bodyweight Exercises and more. Get flexible, personalized workout programs based off your schedule. Take a picture of your food and track Calories, Carbs, Protein, Fiber and more. 30 Day Free Trial and 14.99/month after that.
More about Fitness Reality 1000 Plus Magnetic
Another great aspect?
The Fitness Reality rower has comfortable and padded seating, as well as anti-slip pedals. It’s also fairly affordable and very popular amongst consumers.
It’s also known for being on the quieter side for a rower – a few things to think about when you’re considering buying a rowing machine.
Sunny Health and Fitness Magnetic - SF-RW5515 Rower
Sunny Health and Fitness is your friendly go-to brand. They’ve been around for over a decade. This is your basic no-fuss rower, which comes with foam grip handlebars, non-slip pedals, adjustable resistance, and a digital performance monitor.
- DIGITAL MONITOR: The large LCD console displays time, count, calories, total count, and scan. The convenient scan mode displays your progress to assist you in tracking all your fitness goals.
- EXTRA LONG SLIDE RAIL: At 48 inches in slide rail length, and 44 inches in inseam length, the SF-RW5515 can accommodate rowers nearly any size.
- ADJUSTABLE MAGNETIC RESISTANCE: With a simple twist, you can increase or decrease the 8 levels of magnetic resistance, so your workout can remain challenging and effective throughout your fitness journey.
- TRANSPORTATION WHEELS: Built-in transportation wheels for easy portability. Simply tilt and roll out for use or away for storage, no need for heavy lifting or muscle strain.
- NON-SLIP FOOT PEDALS: Textured non-slip foot pedals will ensure safe footing during the most demanding and vigorous workouts. Foot straps keep your feet saddled with so you can focus on the workout without feeling unbalanced.
More about Sunny Health and Fitness Magnetic
It’s also easy to store. It comes with transportation wheels, making it easy to put away when you need to. In other words, this is another great exercise equipment option if you’re tight on space and if you’re looking for a relatively affordable option.
Concept2 Model D Rowing Machine- with PM5
This is the Olympic athlete go-to rower. However, this does mean that it can be a bit more expensive.
Yet, it does come highly recommended by pro athletes and coaches. It’s also highly durable.
- This item benefits from an Extended 90 Day Return Window
- Low impact workout that engages all major muscle groups; work legs, core and arms with a smooth, high calorie-burning motion
- Track your progress with real-time reliable data; the Performance Monitor 5 (included) self-calibrates for comparable results; connect wirelessly to heart rate belts and apps (not included)
- Designed to fit most users: 14-inch seat height, adjustable footrests and ergonomic handle
- Separates easily into two pieces for storage; caster wheels make it mobile; easy to assemble with only eight screws. Space Recommendations- Assembled- 8 ft x 2 ft (244 cm x 61 cm). For Storage- 25 in x 33 in x 54 in (63. 5 cm x 83. 8 cm x 137. 2 cm)
More about Concept2 Model D Rowing Machine
What else has it got?
This rower has a higher seat, which makes it great for those with bad knees. The higher seat makes it easier to get in and out of, as well as provides more comfort when using it.
And there’s more…
It’s a fairly quiet rower as well. It has also got wheels making it easy to store away. And it’s further compatible with many different apps via Bluetooth, which means you can track your workout on your phone.
CAP Barbell Dumbbell Set
Most free weight sets come with dumbbells ranging from 5 to 25 pounds. This one also comes with a rack for convenient and organized storage.
- SET INCLUDES – Pair of 5-pound, 10-pound, 15-pound, 20-pound, and 25-pound dumbbells and 2-tier 24-inch white dumbbell rack to store all FIVE pairs, Sport Type: Exercise & Fitness;Weightlifting,
- COMPACT DESIGN – The two-tier utility dumbbell rack features a compact two-tier storage space. The lower shelf is angled to easily store and access dumbbells
- DURABLE & RELIABLE – Rack is made with steel tubing & finished with durable white powder coat. Dumbbell heads have a durable coating & are joined together by a solid 1018 cold rolled steel chromed handle
- VERSATILE – Dumbbells offer the ability to target specific muscle groups or perform a full body workout. Perfect for isolations, functional and HIIT workouts
- FEATURES – The original hex shaped dumbbell heads prevent rolling. Medium-depth knurling on the ergo handle provides essential, non-slip grip and security during use. Coating is extremely durable
More about CAP Barbell Dumbbell Set
Why are these great for seniors?
Dumbbells are a great option for isolation exercises, as well as functional movement practices. They offer the most options for exercise. And this means that whether you have an injury or a “bad” side, you can likely still do something.
GYMAX Barbell Weight Set
Barbell sets are another option for free weights. However, they don’t offer as many options as dumbbells in terms of exercise variety.
Yet, they can help you load up on heavier weights as certain loads get easier.
- Durable & Sturdy: The GYMAX barbell rod is made from high quality steel, offering you large load-bearing ability up to 220 lbs. Besides, the dumbbell set is painted with anti-rust paint, avoiding corrosion and guaranteeing durable usage.
- Secure Lock: The weight barbell set is equipped with star-lock, which secures weight plates on places and ensures great stability and safety for you, leaving you no worries about plates falling or slide during exercise.
- Multiple Intensity: The GYMAX dumbbell set includes 4 X 10 Kg(22 Lbs) plates, 2 X 5Kg(11 Lbs) plates, 2 X 2 Kg(4.4 Lbs) plates, offering you various weight choices and enabling you to do weight lifting with different intensity.
- Easy Storage: The barbell set is super convenient to assemble or separate, giving you easy usage and space-saving storage and allowing you use it anywhere, even at home or in office. Besides, the attached manual save you time and energy.
- Full Body Exercise: The weight barbell is ideal for daily strength training for multiple muscle group, and you could strength arms, back, chest and legs for one time, featuring high workout efficiency and make your daily exercise more simple.
Fit Simplify Resistance Loop- Exercise Bands
This loop resistance band set comes with five different levels. Start with the easiest one first and slowly progress for each exercise.
Not sure what exercises to do?
The Fit Simplify Resistance Loop Exercise Bands come with a free ebook. You can follow along with the ebook or use the printed instructional guide that also comes with the set.
- High end exercise bands. Our 12″ by 2″ heavy duty loop resistance bands come in 5 varying resistance levels. This makes them perfect whether you are just starting to workout or a seasoned workout warrior. Our extra light and light bands are great for beginners, while our medium, heavy and extra heavy exercise bands are targeted for more intermediate and advanced strength training.
- Great with any workout. This resistance band set can be integrated seamlessly with various popular workout program. Or use them for general exercise, stretching, strength training, power weight programs. The included carry bag makes it easy to take your bands with you and do any workout away from home or your home gym.
- Multiple uses. While these resistance bands are often used for sports and fitness, physical therapists love these physical therapy bands (rehab bands) to help them rehabilitate their patients. Our stretch bands work for people suffering from leg, knee and back injuries. They are also perfect for use by women after pregnancy and birth to keep their bodies in shape.
- Superior quality. All of our exercise resistance bands are thoroughly tested before we ship them out to you. This ensures your bands are easy on skin and will provide you with a worry free experience. The instruction booklet includes dozens of different illustrated exercises that demonstrate how to use our resistance bands for legs, arms, back, shoulders, ankles, hips and stomach.
- What you get: Five exercise bands with color-coded resistance levels, portable travel carry bag and instruction guide.
TheraBand Resistance Band Set
This is more of a beginner set, coming with three different levels of bands. But if latex is a problem for you, this set is likely more preferable. It’s non-latex.
These are also not ‘loop’ bands, which means there are other exercise options available. Your decision on whether or not to go with loop or non-loop bands may depend on the type of exercises you want to perform and the areas of the body you want to target.
- Stretches, tones & conditions all major muscle groups, perfect for those with latex allergies or sensitivities
- Simple & easy to use product for upper & lower body exercises that can be performed anywhere, is ideal for conditioning & rehabbing muscles
- The Non-Latex Resistance Band increases both strength & flexibility in a subtle & natural manner
- Rehabilitate muscles through simple yet effective workouts to increase strength & improve motion
- Each band measures 5 feet long x 4 inches wide and comes in three color-coded resistance levels: Yellow-3-4.3 lbs.; Red-3.7-5.5 lbs.; Green-4.6-6.7 lbs.
More about TheraBand Resistance Band Set
Non-loop bands offer more options. You can also tie them together to create loop bands if necessary.
TheraBand Exercise Ball
It may take some time and effort to inflate this one. But it’s worth it.
This exercise ball is stable and durable. The material is also super grippy, so you won’t have to worry about any slippage.
Make sure you use the height versus ball size chart available on Amazon to guarantee that you order the right one.
- Strengthens muscles, improves posture, balance, and core stability, helps prevent back and spine pain
- 65cm diameter (26") is designed for individuals from 5'7" - 6'1" tall
- For men or women, stretch the limits of your physical fitness by integrating stability exercise into your workout or rehab routine and develop the core muscles for fall prevention
- Easy to clean, comes deflated with two plugs, one inflation adaptor, and a 24 exercise guide poster, Power Pump for easy inflating sold separately
- Deflates slowly if punctured, use to exercise abdominals, back, glutes, hips and other muscles, great for rehab and flexibility
Power Systems VersaBall
If you want an exercise ball that is more sturdy and offers the most support, the Power Systems VersaBall is your guy. Again, it may take some effort and power to inflate. Yet, that just proves its durability and toughness.
It’s also sold in many sizes so make sure you use the appropriate size for you.
- Promote proper posture, increase lower back mobility, build back and abdominal strength
- Improve core strength
- High quality professional grade PVC construction
What’s the elliptical got that other options don’t?
Find out below as we take a look at the best elliptical machines for seniors.
- Improves balance, preventing falls.
- Increases endurance.
- Has handles to hold on for extra stability.
- Burns calories
- Improves the cardiovascular and respiratory systems, preventing heart or respiratory diseases.
- It’s low-impact, meaning it’s easy on the joints.
- The movement isn’t exactly natural.
- It offers only a limited range of motion.
- Elliptical trainers can be expensive, but if you use it enough, they can also be entirely affordable when compared to a gym membership.
Psst… cardio doesn’t have to be boring. Check out tricks and tips below that you can include when working out on your elliptical to make things more exciting.
And don’t forget to mix it up. Try different moves for different durations. Keep things interesting.
Ellipticals provide optimal comfort for the joints with low-impact. They can also provide a great calorie-torching workout.
However, some consumers have reported hip or knee issues from using elliptical machines. The unnatural movement may aggravate previous hip or knee problems.
It also doesn’t target the full range of motion. Consider the pros and cons before making your choice.
Walking is one of the best cardio choices out there. It’s also easy-on-the joints. It also comes with a ton of benefits, as listed below.
Is a treadmill right for you and your life?
- It benefits the heart and respiratory system.
- It doesn’t place much stress on the joints.
- You can still go for a walk even when the weather is bad.
- Can be boring for some.
- You don’t use as many muscles as you do walking or running outside.
When it comes to varying your workouts on a treadmill, you can choose different intervals and speeds. You may also choose to walk sideways, although this should only be attempted by experienced and fit users.
Many seniors that use treadmills often set it up in front of a TV or read a book or magazine while they workout. You may also choose to listen to music or a podcast.
Again, it doesn’t have to be boring. Find ways to keep yourself motivated and to keep it interesting.
Treadmills are a simple and easy way to stay in shape, especially for seniors. Even when bad weather hits, you can still walk it out. Walking is easy on the joints and good for your body and mind.
However, if you like more of a challenge or get bored easily, a treadmill may not be the best option for you.
The recumbent bike is frequently a go-to for the 60+ population.
Recumbent bikes save your back and knees, which are major problem areas for the senior population. Unlike some of the best indoor spinning bikes, recumbent bikes have a backrest, which provide additional support.
But let’s dive a little deeper. What are recumbent bikes pros and cons? Which type of recumbent bike is best for you?
Recumbent Bike Pros
- It’s fairly safe to use.
- It’s comfortable.
- It’s easy-to-use.
- It has back support, which spinning bikes do not have.
Recumbent Bike Cons
- It often takes up a large amount of floor space.
- Some find it fairly boring and not much of a challenge.
Recumbent Bike Workouts
Recumbent bikes don’t give you much to work with.
You can vary your speed and resistance for different intervals and thus, make it more exciting. Many individuals also choose to read or watch TV while on their recumbent bike, again, making it a little more interesting.
All in all, the low impact and safety features are the main reasons why the recumbent bike is one of the best home exercise equipment for seniors.
Now, let’s take a look at the best ones on the market today.
A recumbent bike is great for seniors who have knee, hip, or back problems. It offers a sturdy and safe device for exercise.
However, the type you choose may depend on the space available and whether or not you prefer certain features. It may also depend on your personal budget.
When is a rowing machine a good choice? Should you consider this piece of equipment for your home gym?
Find out by checking out the pros and cons, and the reviewed rowing machine options below.
Rowing Machine Pros
- It burns calories.
- The rowing machine is low impact.
- It works out many major muscle groups.
Rowing Machine Cons
- It takes up a lot of space.
- It isn’t the best option for those who have had previous injuries, including back, knee, or hip problems.
- There is a learning curve involved in using it.
- It may make more noise than other equipment.
Rowing Machine Workouts
As far as the best exercise equipment for senior citizens goes, this one is highly underutilized. This is also another piece of equipment where you’ll likely want to be in fairly decent shape before using it. It isn’t exactly back-pain friendly.
Yet, if you’re new to the rowing machine, don’t worry. There are plenty of options, including variations and workouts described in the video below.
The rowing machine is likely better for those that are already in decent shape. It does require a bit of learning to get used to proper form and usage.
However, it does work major muscle groups, including the core and back. It also torches major calories (often more than other cardio machines).
The ultimate best exercise equipment for elderly individuals is free weights.
Because so many studies indicate the benefits of strength training as you age.
In fact, after the age of 30, you lose about 3-8% of muscle mass per decade. This rate goes up after the age of 60.
Yet, strength training via free weights combats this. It promotes the growth and maintenance of lean muscle mass. In turn, you can enter old age with as few aches and pains as possible.
But let’s define and refine these pros and cons a bit more. What’s the deal?
Free Weights Pros
- There are endless options for different strength training exercises you can perform. This means it’s easy for anyone – no matter what shape you’re in – to make use of this type of equipment.
- They’re easy to store. They can conveniently fit in a corner, against a wall, or even under a couch.
- Strength training improves bone health and prevents muscle loss.
- Free weights are some of the best pieces of exercise equipment for weight loss at home, as well as for maintaining a healthy weight.
- They allow for a full range of motion, improving mobility and flexibility.
Free Weights Cons
- There is a learning curve involved, including determining which exercises you should perform and how to perform them.
- Because there is a learning curve, it may be easy to injure yourself.
- You may need a spotter in some cases to train effectively and efficiently.
Free Weights Workouts
Again, there are so many options here. When starting out with free weights, it may be best to have a pro – such as a personal trainer – show you the ropes. That way, you can ensure you’re performing each exercise correctly. This also means you won’t risk injury.
An example of a quick 15 minutes workout for seniors includes the video below. Many good strengthening exercises include squats, deadlifts, core exercises, shoulder exercises, and postural exercises.
For the best of both worlds, getting both a dumbbell set and a barbell set is cheaper than any cardio machine. It may also be more beneficial for your overall health, especially as a senior.
In addition, there are many forms of free cardio, such as walking outside.
What about bands? Resistance bands are similar to free weights. They offer a way to build muscle and also come in a wide variety of resistances.
Resistance Bands Pros
- They frequently involve some core engagement, meaning exercises using resistance bands contribute to better balance and stability.
- They’re easy to store and convenient for traveling.
- They provide less joint compression than free weights, which may be better for the senior population.
- They’re entirely affordable.
Resistance Bands Cons
- The user is limited by the resistance level of the bands.
- There is a learning curve involved in using them.
- It may make it difficult to track training (especially as the bands become worn, stretched, and used).
Resistance Bands Workouts
There are countless options for resistance bands workouts. For seniors, it’s likely you want to focus on shoulder strength (a common problem area), hip strength, core strength, and strength in the major muscles of the legs. This helps prevent injuries and aches or pains. It also allows you to age gracefully.
Check out the video below for an example of a resistance band workout for seniors.
Resistance bands offer a more affordable alternative to free weights. They’re also slightly better for storage and for tight spaces.
Bands are further great for exercise options. There are a ton of different ways you can use them.
You’ve probably seen on-the-ball classes at your local rec center. Stability balls are great for improving balance and more. See below for a complete list of pros and cons.
Stability Ball Pros
- Improves core strength and balance.
- Improves posture.
- By performing strength training exercises on the ball, you may slightly increase your caloric burn.
Stability Ball Cons
- It doesn’t provide support for the upper body or back, which may be an issue for some.
- It may increase the risk of falling during exercise.
Stability Ball Workouts
There are a variety of exercises you can perform on or with a stability ball. In order to ensure you’re doing them correctly and to lower the risk of falls, I recommend checking out a class at your local gym or recreational center, or taking part in a session with a personal trainer to get the hang of it.
Exercise balls are a great exercise equipment option for seniors. They help work on balance and stability, which begin to falter with age. You can also perform a variety of other exercises while sitting on the ball itself.
But ultimately, the choice is yours. The best exercise equipment for seniors may depend on the person’s fitness level and situation.
Use the above information to determine what type of exercise equipment is best suited for you and your life – or your family member or friend.
What is the Best Exercise Equipment for Seniors?
An at-home gym consisting of weight training equipment is the perfect fit for seniors. If cardio outside isn’t an option, your gym should also include a cardio machine.
This ensures that you not only maintain muscle mass but also decreases your risk of heart disease or stroke.
How Often should Seniors Workout?
Experts recommend that individuals over the age of 65 get 2.5 hours of aerobic exercise per week. This equates to about 30 minutes a day. It’s further recommended that seniors participate in strength training 2 times a week.
What are the Best Strength Training Exercises for Seniors?
A few of the best strength training exercises for seniors include squats, wall push-ups, hip bridges, dead-bugs, and calf raises. These exercises target major muscle groups and the core, which helps prevent injuries, improve balance, and maintain muscle.
What are the Best Balance Exercises for Seniors?
As a senior, balance is an important aspect to consider in your overall exercise and fitness routine. As a person ages, balance decreases and falls become common. But you can practice and improve your balance via one-legged stance exercises.
Further, strengthening exercises like calf raises and squats can also improve your balance and stability.
Are Exercises Safe for those with Arthritis?
Absolutely! In fact, studies show that exercise can help manage arthritis pain. By strength training, you’ll build muscle and improve blood circulation. This muscle will support the joints. Improved circulation will help reduce inflammation.
What are Other Good Aerobic Exercises for Seniors?
Many popular aerobic options for seniors include classes, such as Zumba, dance, tai chi, aquatic classes, and more.
Look up gyms or recreational centers in your local area. Usually, they’ll have a list of classes.
Why do Seniors Need Exercise?
Individuals who exercise have a lower risk of heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, osteoporosis, obesity, specific cancers, and other chronic diseases. They further often have good blood pressure and improved bone density.
Overall, it frequently improves one’s health, life longevity, and quality of life.