Best Home Gym Flooring & Top 13 Rubber Floor Mat Reviews
Garagegympower is reader-supported. When you purchase through links in our articles, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
The floor is often the part of a home gym that doesn’t get much attention.
At least not until everything else is sorted out anyway. And yet it’s super important!
What you have on the floor of your home gym will decide whether your floor is being protected from heavy equipment and whether your equipment and joints are being protected from your hard floor.
The right gym flooring will provide a cushioned, durable, slip-resistant surface for your workouts.
Read on to discover what your options are and how to decide on the best flooring for a home gym.
This is how we select and evaluate products on GGP
In this article, we review a number of popular products that we have found using in-depth research and analysis work. The products you find in the article are sold by one or more of our partners. Although these partnerships may influence the range of products in the article, our recommendations are based on an overall assessment of the product.
We evaluate and compare products in the article based on:
- Official and impartial product tests
- Customer reviews and opinions about the product
- Data on user behavior and preferences
- Specifications, characteristics, and disadvantages of the product
- Guarantees, service, and reputation of the dealer
Apart from that, we compare the price and quality of each product and deliver our subjective assessments and recommendations to our readers. The position of the product in the list does not necessarily reflect its quality, as all the products we review are picked as the best choice for certain users.
Prosource Fit Puzzle Exercise Mat
This flooring is ideal for home-gyms on a budget, but also top quality, making it the best floor for a home gym. Just pop them together, make sure they’re locked, and set small machines on top.
If you’re looking to save a few bucks, you can even purchase one for each corner of a machine like a treadmill, and only place them beneath the corners.
But, if you want to guarantee they won’t slide around, it’s worth buying a complete set.
- Protective Exercise Flooring - Durable, non-skid textured squares and tiles that cover and protect your floor or even carpet while creating a comfortable workout room with exercise accessories or as a play mat for children
- Easy Assembly – Lightweight interlocking foam tiles connect quickly and easily, and can be disassembled just as simply for quick storage
- Versatile – The water-resistant, noise-reducing design is easy-to-clean, great for indoor purposes like in garages as a protector, gyms, a home fitness room, or even children’s play areas as a playmat.
- Covers 24 Sq Ft - Each tile measures 24 in x 24 in x ½ in - thick from the highest point of the texture; Includes 6 tiles with end borders for a polished look. Care: Apply warm water and dish soap with a soft cloth or towel and air dry.
- High Quality Foam - High-density EVA foam mat provides excellent support and cushion; Contains NO toxic phthalates. Excellent alternative to rubber gym mats.
Pros and cons for Prosource Fit Puzzle Exercise Mat
- Versatile usage with squares that separate and pop together as you please.
- Water-resistant, non-slip and noise-reducing.
- High density EVA foam is non-toxic and durable.
- Soft texture provides great cushioning.
- Pieces will pull apart during high intensity workouts unless you tape them together u
More about Prosource Fit Puzzle Exercise Mat
Best home gym flooring for small stations or low intensity equipment.
SuperMats High Density Equipment- Mat
This mat is sturdy enough to drop things on. It absorbs sound as well as foam or rubber mats do but is less likely to be dented by the blunt edges of your weights.
The PVC surface also reacts with your workout shoes, giving you a better grip and making you less likely to slide around while executing heavy lifts.
- PROTECTIVE FLOOR MAT: Super-tough, durable mat helps protect your floors and carpets from the damaging effects of heavy exercise equipment and debris from mechanical parts
- COMMERCIAL GRADE SOLID CONSTRUCTION - Mat is solid vinyl composite material, features extremely heavy duty durable construction - Mat weighs 25 lbs.
- CUSHIONS EXERCISE EQUIPMENT FROM EXCESSIVE WEAR: Prolongs the life of your equipment by helping prevent floor and carpet dust from entering belts and mechanical parts, and dampens vibration
- FITS MULTIPLE EXERCISE UNITS: The Supermats Treadmat is perfect for larger treadmills, ellipticals, recumbent bikes, and cross-country trainers - Mat measures 36" x 102"
- MADE IN U.S.A.: Made in U.S.A. using U.S.A. sourced raw materials. No harmful chemicals or heavy metals. Safe for children and pets
Pros and cons for SuperMats High Density Equipment
- Extremely durable and heavy duty.
- Ideal for protecting your floor from heavy equipment.
- Good traction.
- Minimal cushioning so you’d want an extra softer mat on top for floor work.
More about SuperMats High Density Equipment
PVC can take a lot more abuse than other materials, and if you need something you can treat roughly, this is your go-to mat.
Rubber Cal Elephant Bark Floor Mat
This is the most economical option for covering your entire garage floor. The rolls come in varying sizes.
All of them are 4 feet in width, and they go as long as 25 feet in length. You can either glue these to your bare flooring or lay them out flat.
- Offers exceptional UV and water resistance, making them great outdoor floors for a balcony or a patio
- An ideal exercise floor that provides impact protection and vibration reduction for home and commercial gyms
- Rubber flooring mats with ultra easy DIY installation without the need for messy adhesive or expensive installers
- Green floor option that is available in 6 unique colors to conform to the aesthetics of any application; a great eco-friendly flooring option!
- Versatile recycled material ideal for garage mats, deck floor, cellar floor covering, flooring or concrete basement floors, flooring for a home gym, and even as dog kennel mats
Pros and cons for Rubber Cal Elephant Bark Floor Mat
- Good vibration and sound absorption.
- Heavy duty, tough and durable.
- UV and water resistant with good traction.
- Not spongy enough for comfortable floor work or dropping weights.
More about Rubber Cal Elephant Bark Floor Mat
Similar to the flooring above, this flooring is very heavy duty and ideal for coping with heavy equipment.
Rogue Individual Mat
If you don’t have any heavy gym equipment that you need to protect your floor from, an individual mat is the ideal budget compromise for providing some cushioning and grip for low intensity or body weight exercises in a small space.Check Price at Rogue Fitness
Pros and cons for Rogue Individual Mat
- Ideal for small spaces.
- Provides good cushioning and a grippy surface.
- Pairs well with light weights, foam rollers and resistance bands.
- Easily transportable.
- Not large enough for cardio based workouts.
More about Rogue Individual Mat
An individual mat is definitely worth considering for a minimalist option to your home gym flooring if you don’t have any large equipment.
BalanceFrom Puzzle Exercise Mat
This mat is customizable by choosing the number and arrangement of the EVA foam interlocking tiles. EVA foam is durable and shock absorbing while having a good amount of cushioning for floor workouts.
- Protective workout flooring: Durable, non-skid textured tiles protect floors while creating a comfortable workout space
- Easy assembly: Lightweight puzzle pieces connect quickly and easily, and can be disassembled just as simply for quick storage
- Versatile: The water-and noise-resistant design is easy-to-clean, great for use in garages, gyms, home fitness rooms, or children’s play areas
- Covers 24 square feet: Each tile measures 24” x 24” x ½”- thick from the highest point of the texture; Includes 6 tiles and 12 end borders for a polished look
- High quality foam: High-density EVA foam provides excellent support and cushion; Contains no toxic phthalates
Pros and cons for BalanceFrom Puzzle Exercise Mat
- Comes in 2 different thicknesses depending on the amount of cushioning you want.
- Water resistant surface is easy to clean.
- Durable, high density EVA foam provides shock absorbance while being comfortably spon
- Lightweight and easy to move around if you want to change the configuration.
- Pieces don’t stay connected in really high impact workouts.
More about BalanceFrom Puzzle Exercise Mat
Ideal gym flooring if you’re looking for a balance of durability and cushioning.
Rogue Fitness E-Z Kleen Vinyl Rower
If you’re on a budget and need some reliable flooring but only have one piece of heavy equipment in your home gym, this mat could fit the bill.Check Price at Rogue Fitness
Pros and cons for Rogue Fitness E-Z Kleen Vinyl Rower
- Made of 100% Koroseal vinyl which is moisture resistant, slip resistant, scuff resist
- Perfect dimensions for once piece of large gym equipment like a rowing machine or tre
- Skid resistant underside will grip whatever floor is underneath the mat.
- Not big enough to cover the whole floor for other exercises.
More about Rogue Fitness E-Z Kleen Vinyl Rower
An affordable option to provide an ideal mat for your large machine.
We Sell Mats Folding Exercise Gym M
This will be your go-to mat if you want some padding underneath you.
Ideal for floor workouts and martial arts, the configuration of panels is customizable and the thickness is ideal for high-impact workouts.
- Exercise Mat for Home Workout - We Sell Mats Fitness Gym mat is available in 3 sizes with 2" foam thickness that provides a cushioned, supportive surface that helps protects knees, wrists, elbows & backs for home workouts & bodyweight exercises.
- Convenient Storage - Lightweight, foldable design makes the mat portable and compact for storage, with carrying handles for convenient on-the-go-fitness for personal trainers, athletes, exercising outdoors or indoor workouts. Each 4’x8’ mat consists of four panels that fold down to 4' x 2' x 8" for easy maneuverability and storage.
- Extra Support for Home Fitness - Ultra-durable and sturdy cross-linked foam is designed to handle personal fitness and bodyweight exercises such as push-ups, sit-ups, crunches, squats, lunges and more.
- Versatile & Durable - Durable and cushioned pads provide This foldable exercise mat is designed to offer the perfect amount of stability and padding for yoga, Pilates, stretching, floor exercises, and other home fitness activities. Featuring a durable 18oz vinyl covering with super-strong stitching, the mat is durable and built to last for years to come.
- Easy Cleanup - Unfold over any hardwood floor or flat indoor surface for extra padding needed when exercising. Vinyl surface resists tearing and is easy to wipe clean with a simple soap and water solution.
Pros and cons for We Sell Mats Folding Exercise Gym M
- Made of non-toxic materials.
- 2” thick for plenty of padding.
- Panels can be combined in different configurations for differently shaped workout sur
- A good alternative to a yoga mat if you want more padding for Pilates-style workouts.
- Heavy to move around.
More about We Sell Mats Folding Exercise Gym M
This is a durable, well-cushioned set of exercise mats that is ideal for high-impact or floor-based workouts.
Gorilla Mats Premium Extra Large- Exercise Mat
Designed to protect floors and joints, this all-purpose mat is perfect for a home gym, creating the perfect workout surface for a range of workouts.
- INSTANT HOME GYM IN ANY ROOM – Goodbye gym membership. Just unstrap and unroll to instantly transform any room in your house into your very own home gym. Large enough for any cardio, strength, spin or dance workout including P90x, Insanity, T25, Zumba, TRX, kettle bell, jumping rope and more!
- UNMATCHED PERFORMANCE – Gorilla Mats is known, trusted and loved by over 150,000 shoppers like yourself and endorsed by Shape, NY Mag, The Spruce, and Yogi Approved. Our unique, non-slip top layer provides durability and cushion that can’t be beat. And our patterned bottom surface grips and prevents the mat from sliding. Gorilla Mats are crafted from premium eco-friendly, non-toxic materials to create the perfect combination of durability, comfort and stability.
- PROTECT YOUR FLOORS AND JOINTS – If there’s anything worse than sore joints after a high intensity work out, it’s finding out your carpet or hardwood flooring has been destroyed too. Our extra thick, and ultra high density mats work great on all floors including carpet, tile or wood floors in your living or extra bedroom as well as on concrete in your garage, patio or basement.
- INCLUDES EVERYTHING YOU NEED – Each Gorilla Mat includes a soft, absorbent 100% Microfiber Towel, Storage Bag and two Velcro Straps to keep your mat rolled up for easy storage or transport. Gorilla Mats are an extremely popular gift idea for men and women of all ages.
- GORILLA TOUGH, BUILT TO LAST A LIFETIME – Don’t settle for anything less than the best. You can feel confident investing in your health knowing our mats are made with the highest quality standards and backed by world class support. Gorilla Mats are tougher than your toughest workouts. Upgrade your home workouts today!
Pros and cons for Gorilla Mats Premium Extra Large
- Non-slip surface.
- Large spacious 8’ x 4’ area.
- Slippery when wet, so you’ll need a towel on hand if you sweat a lot.
More about Gorilla Mats Premium Extra Large
Heavy-duty and durable, this is one of the best exercise mats for a home gym.
Yes4All Interlocking Exercise Foam - Mats
These 12” x 12” interlocking tiles are perfect for providing a safe workout space on carpet, protecting your carpet while keeping your equipment secure and absorbing impact.
- COVER 12 SQ. FT: Include 12 tiles. Each tile measures 12”L x 12”W x 0. 38”thick – thick from the highest point of the texture
- DURABLE & NON SLIP: The non-skid textured & shock-absorbing surface provides a soft feeling when exercising on, best for comfortable workout area – a combination of high-density EVA foam mat & exercise mat for excellent support and cushion
- EASY 5 MINUTE ASSEMBLY: Lightweight puzzle pieces can be connected and disassembled easily in less than 5 minutes. Great for home gym, fitness gym, garages coverage or children’s play areas
- PROTECTIVE WORKOUT FLOORING: Give yourself shock-absorbing comfort when doing Yoga, Pilates, CrossFit or weightlifting. Yes4All Interlocking Mats can also be used to create a soft & anti-slip floor while camping or playing
- EASY TO CLEAN: The water-resistant & noise-reducing design is easy to clean. The moisture-resistant technology & high-quality material make the mat easy to wash with soap & water
Pros and cons for Yes4All Interlocking Exercise Foam
- Non-slip, textured surface.
- High-density EVA foam absorbs shock and cushions.
- Water-resistant and noise-reducing.
- Depending on the area of your gym floor, your box set may or may not come with enough
More about Yes4All Interlocking Exercise Foam
The best flooring to go over carpet inside your home.
Rogue Gym Mats 25 Piece Bundle
If you’re looking for the most heavy-duty flooring option for your home gym and one that you won’t need to replace, the Rogue Gym Mats are among the best out there.
This is the best flooring for a garage gym if you want something you’ll never have to replace.Check Price at Rogue Fitness
Pros and cons for Rogue Gym Mats 25 Piece Bundle
- Will cope with whatever you throw at them and last a long time.
- Textured, non-slip surface.
- Very large, covering a large surface area.
- High price point.
- Very heavy and awkward to move around.
- Only come as a 25 piece set which is probably more than most people will need, but yo
More about Rogue Gym Mats 25 Piece Bundle
If you’re looking for the best of the best in terms of durability and lifespan and don’t mind how much you spend, this is your new floor.
XMark Fitness XMat Ultra Thick Gym - Flooring
This flooring is perfect to place beneath a regular machine or piece of equipment. Most regular weight benches and bench presses will fit comfortably on the surface, and it’s durable enough to withstand years of high-intensity workouts without needing to be replaced.
- Heavy duty rugged equipment mat
- Measures 4' x 6' ; one half inch thick; approx 75 lbs
- Textured non-slip surface
- Proudly made in the U.S.A.
- Made from recycled rubber and may have minor imperfections
Pros and cons for XMark Fitness XMat Ultra Thick Gym
- Made from recycled rubber so you can feel good about your environmental footprint.
- 4’ x 6’ are good dimensions for a variety of gym equipment.
- The textured surface is non-slip for safety.
- Heavy-duty and durable.
- Very dense so minimal cushioning for jumping or protection from falls.
More about XMark Fitness XMat Ultra Thick Gym
This is commercial gym-quality flooring that is likely to last longer than any of the other equipment in your home gym. The best rubber flooring for home gym.
Square36 Large Exercise Mat
If your machine has tons of attachments or requires a heavy rack to be stored, very close to it, you’ll have better luck with this larger mat.
Alternatively, if you want a mat that will cope with high-intensity cardio workouts and bodyweight exercises, this is a good option.
- THE GAME CHANGER: S/36 Exercise Mats are intended for home-based cardio and fitness workouts with or without shoes, such as: cardio, plyometrics, cardio kickboxing, conditioning, aerobics, strength training, and muscular structure. Perfect for living room workouts, home gyms, or garage gyms.
- FEATURED ON THE TOP FITNESS PROGRAMS IN THE WORLD : The best mats on the market. S/36 Exercise Mats are manufactured to the highest standards in the world in a brand new state-of-the-art factory. Our mats are free from BPA, Phthalates, Formaldehyde and harmful colorants.
- S/36 EXERCISE MATS: 7mm thick, ultra dense, made with natural rubber and polymer environmental resin. We are obsessed with the quality of our mats and guarantee that they are the best quality exercise mat on the market. To clean your S/36 Exercise Mats, use a soft cloth and water mixed with a couple of drops of mild dish soap (without bleach). Rinse with clear water and wipe dry with a towel.
- SPECS: 8ft x 6ft & 7mm Thick (96" x 72" x 1/4”) 33 lbs - 48 Square feet of workout space. Includes Storage Bag & Storage Straps. S/36 Exercise Mats Can Be Used On Hardwood, Laminate, Cement, Tile Or Carpet. Perfect for a home gym or garage gym. Roll out and roll up to store.
- SIZES: The 6'x4' and 6'x6' sizes are great for living room workouts (more portable). Our larger sizes 8'x6', 10'x6' & 12'x6' are amazing for home gyms and garage gyms (more permanent, as these sizes are a bit heavy to move around).
Pros and cons for Square36 Large Exercise Mat
- 8’ x 6’ dimensions provide plenty of space for larger machines or cardio workouts.
- Non-toxic, odourless material.
- Very easy to clean.
- Not as grippy as a yoga mat but non-slip when wearing shoes.
More about Square36 Large Exercise Mat
This is a versatile all-rounder mat that will cope with some machine work and cardio workouts. This is among the best flooring for workout rooms.
IncStores Rubber Roll Gym Floor Mat
This is great for workout equipment or heavy racks that are irregular sizes. If a pre-sized rubber floor mat won’t work for you, get a few of these and measure them out.
It’s incredibly durable and well worth the cost, as long as you’re cutting it with caution and getting it right the first time!
- WORK STRONGER, NOT HARDER: Reinforce any room fast with low-profile rolled rubber flooring for garage floors and more, featuring recycled rubber and a huge selection of colors made to withstand serious spaces, home or commercial, indoors and out.
- BUILT TO LAST: From toolbox to treadmill, spin class to deadlift, our large heavy duty rubber mats offer moisture-resistant protection to guard your home from weightlifting, animal care, and extra heavy equipment with plenty of grip and bounce.
- SLEEK SURFACE WITHOUT LIMITS: Made for maximum versatility, easy cleaning, and seamless style, 4' wide rubber floor mat rolls are easy to trim around walls, corners, and objects, creating an edge-to-edge padded surface with endless potential.
- TRANSFORM EVERY DEMANDING SPACE: While the material makes them the ideal rubber mats for garage gym flooring under a weight bench or machine, the slip resistance and customizability helps with industrial storage, horse stall, and trailer flooring.
- A FOUNDATION OF QUALITY: For more than a decade, IncStores has been outfitting every room in and around your home with high-quality rubber workout flooring in countless styles, because a stronger, safer, smarter looking home starts from the floor up.
Pros and cons for IncStores Rubber Roll Gym Floor Mat
- This roll is easy to cut, allowing you to create custom fits.
- Comes in different colors.
- Heavy-duty shock absorption.
- Very heavy, once it’s down you won’t want to be moving it around.
More about IncStores Rubber Roll Gym Floor Mat
This is seriously heavy-duty rubber that you can cut to size and will cope with large machines.
Why Use Special Home Gym Flooring?
You’ve picked out your equipment and rearranged your garage to create an adequate workout space.
You may have even painted the walls and installed equipment into your ceiling joists.
But, there’s one major thing you’ve probably forgotten:
Flooring for your home gym.
In order to properly create a functioning home gym, you need to take the floor into consideration.
Most people don’t spend a lot of time maintaining their garage floors, and that’s okay if their floors aren’t getting much use. That changes when you add exercise equipment into the mix.
Using exercise equipment in your garage can potentially wreck your floors. Weight benches, power racks, stands, cages, and even things like treadmills or elliptical machines are heavy pieces of equipment that are used with vigorous intensity.
After a while, the legs on your heavy equipment may begin to chip away pieces of your floor, causing cracks that can spread all the way across your garage.
Take weight lifting as an example.
The end result of a well-used home gym is a garage floor that’s completely destroyed, and you’ll need to replace it eventually. Replacing your flooring is expensive, and there’s no need to do that if your floor is properly protected from the beginning.
Even if you don’t care about your garage floor, your equipment and your body do.
That’s right, it works both ways.
As well as protecting your floor from your gym activities, you’ll also want the floor to help protect your gear and joints.
Non-slip surfaces are also important from a safety perspective.
The best gym floors will have some traction and shock absorbing capacity.
Should I Contact a Flooring Company?
Big gyms obviously turn to professional flooring companies for their flooring needs.
You’ll notice that their flooring is one solid piece, connected wall to wall. It’s all the same maximum durability rubber, and it’s designed to last virtually forever.
Of course, this is the best option for gym flooring, but it’s also horrifyingly expensive. Commercial gyms can afford to do this because they’re a for-profit business.
Even the smallest garage can cost thousands upon thousands of dollars for this kind of floor.
If you ever decide to move house or move your gym to a different area of your home, you’ll lose your entire investment.
With temporary flooring solutions, you’ll be able to move them around as you see fit. You can take them with you wherever you go, and you don’t have to pay a ton of money for installation.
What Are My Options for DIY Home Gym Flooring?
There are plenty of options for DIY home gym flooring, and they’re all really easy to set up. You may find that using a combination of flooring solutions will work best for your gym.
It largely depends on how much space you have and the kind of equipment you’re working with.
If you already have the desired layout in mind, measure out the square footage that each piece of equipment will occupy.
Different equipment requires different intensities of floor padding, and it may be more economical to purchase a combination of gentle padding and heavy-duty padding, rather than using the heavy duty padding for everything.
There are large, textured mats with excellent foot grip.
Not only do these mats make it easier for the user to maintain balance while performing heavy lifts with squats or power cleans, they’re also strong enough to absorb the impact from dropping the barbell at the end of the move.
These are great for single-station workout activities.
You’ll only need one mat, and you’ll be able to place it next to racks of equipment you intend to swap from during your workout.
For lighter intensity exercise or smaller pieces of equipment, look into interlocking floor tile options. These are easy to assemble and easy to move.
You’ll be able to customize the size you need to fit beneath your equipment, and these options are generally less expensive than very heavy duty mats that would actually be unnecessary for things like stationary bikes or treadmills.
Some DIY gym flooring comes in long rolls.
These rolls are great for multipurpose solutions. You’ll be able to cut the rolls in half to accommodate several pieces of equipment, like weight benches or bench presses.
Rather than purchasing two separate mats, you can divide one long roll into two separate parts.
If your machine is too big to fit into a custom-cut rectangle, there are medium intensity large mats. These aren’t strong enough to absorb the blows of large weights being dropped, but they work fantastically for machines that have a lot of custom attachments that occupy a lot of space.
Think of rowing machines with additions, or benches with racks and preacher curl attachments. These come in varying sizes, so you’ll be able to find one large enough to accommodate even your largest piece of equipment.
If you still want to cover your whole floor, consider using something like elephant bark rolls.
These come in a variety of dimensions, so calculating the square footage of your garage will allow you to determine how many rolls you need, and of what size.
You can roll them out side by side and cover almost the entirety of the area with these mats. Since they’re UV coated, they’ll last forever – even if you leave your garage door open to let some sun in.
Remember that quality gym flooring is worth the investment. Get the best gym flooring for garage gym use and you won’t regret it.
It’s worth a little investment to make the overall workout experience safer and more comfortable for you, your floor and your equipment.
Feel free to comment below and share your gym flooring experiences, and don’t forget to subscribe for more essential garage gym know-how.